X100s

trarmstrong

SLRs like mirror less were also just the "new thing" so easily marketable to get current customers to upgrade.

When I was bought an SLR in the 80s I wasn't aware there was other options and I think I'd have prefered the Rf focusing.

I suspect what with the rf focusing and lack of zoom mechanics SLRs are probably cheaper to manufacture.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a whole raft of reasons why SLRs displaced rangefinder cameras, but I'm pretty sure that frame area accuracy wasn't one of them.

You've had some miserable SLR experience then. Even cheapo SLR's give you 95% accuracy and mid priced ones get close to 100%.

Are you talking film or digital? Digital judging by the present tense.

As for my 'miserable SLR experience' it was probably down to using crap kit: Nikon F & F2 with pin register back, Nikon FM & FM2, Hasselblad 500C, Bronica 645, Sinar 5x4 (not a reflex, but still ...).

When you are shooting pin registered transparencies you have zero margin for error in framing and you have to learn to adjust for the odd millimetre differences between the viewfinder, the film image and the transparency mount.

I'd have to agree with the assertions that the SLRs offer some technical advantages over rangefinders. SLRs were probably cool when they came out. I got started after the death knell of rangefinders and so never was familiar with them. Now old is new, and at least to me, I find that the rangefinder is cool. I realize that the RF OVF has it's limitations, which matters for critical framing, but the EVF is ever ready for those situations when I will not tolerate framing errors. If Fuji can increase the accuracy of the OVF frame lines, then more power to them. But if it is critical that one has a near 100% accurate OVF, why look at a rangefinder then?

The X100 is supposed to be a fun piece of nostalgia which should be enjoyed. Style was an important component in Fuji's design considerations. Rangefinder parallax and it's limitations should not come as a revelation and deter us, otherwise we should be looking exclusively at thru the lens OVF cameras.

All this techno-babble is all well and good but the bottom line for me is this; I can carry my RF camera's around all day, spare batteries in the pocket, I have taken better pictures with my X-series camera's than I ever did with my Nikon/Pentax SLR's, I enjoy my photography again, I have a regular supply of new material to work with and promote because I CAN be bothered to take my camera's out with me now in a way I would never have done previously. For me at least.... here endeth' the lesson!

Happy New Year to one and all!

All this techno-babble is all well and good but the bottom line for me is this; I can carry my RF camera's around all day, spare batteries in the pocket, I have taken better pictures with my X-series camera's than I ever did with my Nikon/Pentax SLR's, I enjoy my photography again, I have a regular supply of new material to work with and promote because I CAN be bothered to take my camera's out with me now in a way I would never have done previously. For me at least.... here endeth' the lesson!

None of the X cameras are rangefinders so you must be carrying something besides what we talk about here at this board. There are exactly two digital rangefinders; Leica and Epson.

@Earbypics

I agree entirely. Unfortunately some of us express the same thing in different ways. Suffice to say I've taken many more interesting pictures with my little Canon compact in the last few years than with any of my reflexes, simply because it goes in my pocket.

@FinePixCamera I think we know theyre not RF but RF style, tyrannical pedantic semanticating is just obscuring the main point at this time.

Cant see the wood for the trees etc.

@FinePixCamera I think we know theyre not RF but RF style, tyrannical pedantic semanticating is just obscuring the main point at this time.

Cant see the wood for the trees etc.

The X100's "rangefinder" style does nothing to make it more portable as the other poster indicated. Nothing whatsoever. The Sony NEX is not "rangefinder" style and is just as portable as the X100. Same with the Micro 4/3rd cameras. As long as the lens is a pancake type, they are portable, rangefinder or not.

I carried a D90 then D7000 around for years day and night . Sometimes to strange parties in the forests around Mullumbimby Australia . I used a low Pro.

Then I got the X10 and did not want to take the Nikon walkies any more . Its not that I am a weakling just do not like the bulk. I like style .

Fuji x series cameras have real style.

I saw a bloke carrying an x10 today. Wow did it look cool .

I carried a D90 then D7000 around for years day and night . Sometimes to strange parties in the forests around Mullumbimby Australia . I used a low Pro.

Then I got the X10 and did not want to take the Nikon walkies any more . Its not that I am a weakling just do not like the bulk. I like style .

Fuji x series cameras have real style.

I saw a bloke carrying an x10 today. Wow did it look cool .

For some people, style is far more important than substance. That's true everywhere, not just photography.

The X100's "rangefinder" style does nothing to make it more portable as the other poster indicated. Nothing whatsoever. The Sony NEX is not "rangefinder" style and is just as portable as the X100. Same with the Micro 4/3rd cameras. As long as the lens is a pancake type, they are portable, rangefinder or not.

THis is true, but Im on an Xseries forum and I bought a Fuji X series, and then sold my DSLRs so its inherently a reference to Fujis Xs.

My X100 rinvograted my love for photography because of its size and also its style and industrial design made it a joy to handle.

I dont think an NEX would do that for me.

I had the Sony Nex 5n for a month before I sold it. Didn't care for menus (versus switches and buttons) and the "Sony Color." Felt like I was using an iPhone or computer in general rather than a camera.

THis is true, but Im on an Xseries forum and I bought a Fuji X series, and then sold my DSLRs so its inherently a reference to Fujis Xs.

My X100 rinvograted my love for photography because of its size and also its style and industrial design made it a joy to handle.

I dont think an NEX would do that for me.

My view entirely... If people have nothing better to do than denigrate or nit-pick at comments when it is very clear what the poster meant by them then I wish these people would please NOT comment on anything I post as, at best, it smacks of ignorance. Thank you. Apart from that the consensus would clearly indicate that many users of X-series cameras or similar models have had their hobby or indeed profession re-invigorated by these cameras, as I would testify, 'RF' or not!

@FinePixCamera im as much a fan of exactitudes as the next person, but i think youre getting caught in the pedantics and missing the point somewhat.

im not pretending to have an RF, i know its not. but the fact they took the RF stylng and as some would see it ideology makes it an attractive camera to have and use - for me.

I couldnt care less for an NEX and played with a Panasonic M43 before getting the X100 and didnt like it.

WHat does it matter anyway so long as im out taking photos and enjoying it.

And do not forget the Xpro 1 and XE-1 can take Leica range finder lenses and look a little like Leicas.

A big part of this I think is the lack of the top LCD screen which I always hated .

And all the controls.

These cameras have style and substance why else do you have so many Fuji's fine pix? Don't tell me to rip them to threads on these forums .

And do not forget the Xpro 1 and XE-1 can take Leica range finder lenses and look a little like Leicas.

A big part of this I think is the lack of the top LCD screen which I always hated .

And all the controls.

These cameras have style and substance why else do you have so many Fuji's fine pix? Don't tell me to rip them to threads on these forums .

Yes, I buy Fuji cameras specifically so that I can rip them on forums.

The X100 is supposed to be a fun piece of nostalgia which should be enjoyed. Style was an important component in Fuji's design considerations. Rangefinder parallax and it's limitations should not come as a revelation and deter us, otherwise we should be looking exclusively at thru the lens OVF cameras.

Between the View finder and its associated focusing mechanism, I am more drawn to the X series Aperture/Shutter/EV dials combination for controlling the camera. I am training myself to go back to know my settings using clicks while looking through the VF. The new X lens will be a tad tougher because of 1/3 clicks but using the old lens with adaptors would be quite ok. But when it comes to modern way of controlling the camera, the LCD panel comes off as a bit too much sometimes.

It took me more than a decade (yeah I am not that old) to appreciate the old way of controlling the camera.

And I repeat the quote and agree with Earbypics wholeheartedly too.

Is there not an administrator of this site who can remove the people who seem to ruin almost every thread by being argumentative. It's getting very tedious now coming across the same people constantly pissing everyone off. Think I may and find another forum.

Is there not an administrator of this site who can remove the people who seem to ruin almost every thread by being argumentative. It's getting very tedious now coming across the same people constantly pissing everyone off. Think I may and find another forum.

Good luck with that - I came from DPreview for the same reason.

Good luck with that - I came from DPreview for the same reason.

and myself also, i also couldnt take the BS at DPR, so I came here and all was beautiful until the Rat showed up, and now it seems that the Rat is just making as much problems here as at DPR. very discouraging.

Archived