X100s

trarmstrong

Did I not already write, "I have NO problems at all with using the words rangefinder style, because those words are ACCURATE."

Did you not see these words above?

if someone here says X series are RF, just assume the 'style' is silent. you are so DAMNED pedantic its very almost unbelievable.

almost every sentance needs a myriad of asterixs with you to cover the cavaets, people just dont speak like this in the real world fer chest sakes.

If I say Im hoovering I dont need to make it clear its not a "Hoover" but that its a Dyson "Vacuum" its just taken as red.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might just constantly refer to all the fuji x cameras as RFinders just to be annoying, its getting to that point.

@badlyread agreed, i blame myself for feeding.

I might just constantly refer to all the fuji x cameras as RFinders just to be annoying, its getting to that point.

@badlyread agreed, i blame myself for feeding.

That's all you do here is troll.

The Evolution of Viewfinder

First was an uncorrected OVF. Then a parallax corrected OVF was introduced, the rangefinder (RF). Next was the SLR-Finder. Decades later followed the EVF. But what is Fujis OVF? It is not a simple uncorrected viewfinder, its an AUTOMATIC RANGEFINDER. Like it or like it not, dear Leicaists, RF is not a trade Mark, isn't it? So let us Call it ARF/EVF hybrid...

rangefinder is the focusing system not the little "window on the side"

A rangefinder camera is a camera fitted with a rangefinder: a range-finding focusing mechanism... so none of the X series cameras are rangefinders. They just have the look but no actual rangefinder mechanism.....

also

Almost all digital cameras, and most later film cameras, measure distance using electroacoustic or electronic means and focus automatically (autofocus); however, it is not customary to speak of this functionality as a rangefinder..

Too bad, I hoped to discover something new in the more than 30 new posts about the X100s, but only a rage about terms.

For me, IF the X100s has some kind of overlapped electronic image patch (central area), combined with the OVF, and IF that secondary image drifts according to the manual focus, coinciding with the EVF image when what's in the patch is in focus, then, it will be a true electronic rangefinder, mimicking somehow the use of an optical telemeter. I hope this will be done in real time (reacting directly to the moving focus ring), and that it will be also coupled to moving frames, showing more accurately than in the X100 what is really taken. This is only computational skills when you draw the different elements in the OVF with superimposed electronic frames and patches. I hope that's what the early descriptions are announcing.

Now I saw a very bad photoshoped X100, with only an S added somewhere on the lower left front of the body. I think the X100s will for the least adopt the recessed compensation ring of the X-e1, X10 and X-Pro1. I would say it will be an X-e1 with hybrid VF and fixed prime. Let's hope it will be a 35mm f/1.4, and that the S stands for standard (50mm in FF).

All the best,

Too bad, I hoped to discover something new in the more than 30 new posts about the X100s, but only a rage about terms.

But at least you know it's not a rangefinder :)

Excellent!

Hi

I have a friend who has been shown the X100s by Fuji and he said externally it looks exactly like the X100, but now there's a colored rangefinder like patch in the OVF which changes color to confirm focus. And there's peaking in the EVF.

Actually my concern is not whether it works like a rangefinder (my friend said it works nothing like my M9) - my main concern would be the electronically linked manual focus ring - how may turns must I make to nudge the lens into focus.

Despite the many firmware updates, I still hate the fly by wire focusing. Thankfully AF has been improved to the point where I can depend on it!

But at least you know it's not a rangefinder :)

and knowing is half the battle.

It sounds like it may simply offer a different AF confirmation view in the OVF, instead of the green box. Focus peaking in the EVF will be a fantastic addition, along with the higher res OLED display from the X-E1. Improved AF with hybrid phase detect and contrast focusing should really speed things up. I'll be curious to see if they go with an X-Trans sensor, I suspect they will, but I have to say the existing X100 bayer sensor has really held up incredibly well over the years.

I like the current X100 for factor, but I would like to see the back side adopt a layout similar to the X-E1, with larger buttons and a Q button. Keeping the AFL/AEL button location the same would be great.

We'll know soon enough!

with all these anticipated additions to the OVF display, I hope they include more menu options for display customization - I hate VF clutter, and the current OVF could use some streamlining, IMHO.

It would be absolutely bizarre if the new X100 did not have the Q button. The X10 has it, via software, the X Pro 1 has it, and the X E-1. It would be incomprehensible, even for logically challenged Fujifilm, to keep the Q button off the new X100.

Hi

I have a friend who has been shown the X100s by Fuji and he said externally it looks exactly like the X100...

I do really hope your friend was a little bit quick, or rough in his assumption. At least, the X100s should be based on the X-e1, to gain the latest form factor evolution. If Fuji launches exactly the same form factor (I mean, externally, exactly the same body) as Sigma does with its small Foveon ones, I will be quite disappointed. Just a better HVF and X-Trans will not have me develop GAS for the X100s.

If now, it's an X-e1 with HVF and fix prime, that will be much more appealing. Now let's see if they tilt the upper right deck as on the X-Pro1 (ugly choice), or put an infamous logo or name on the front, and not on the top...

I hope pricing is reasonable. I know the last one started at $1600, but with the current price of $1200, I sure hope its closer to $1200 and the current one slides on down to $800 or $900.

Archived