Sign in to follow this  
john_pa

My Wish List

john_pa

I am loving the X100 and I am very happy that I bought it. On the other hand, I would agree with some critics who say that the UI could be better (though I don’t think that it is “bad” as-is). There are certainly lots of things that people want the X100 to be. Some of these “requests” are just silly (a zoom lens and/or interchangeable lens) because it would make it a totally different camera. After using the X100 for a little while though, I do find that there are a couple of things that I miss, some of which seem pretty simple-minded to me.

1) In addition to the first-level “shooting menu” and “setup menu”, there should be a third “user defined” menu. Here we could “copy” any selection from the first two sets so that we can build a customized screen for the stuff that we personally use most. Of course, the menu-button should default to this user-defined screen (if it exists). I would think that this would be a minor firmware update, but it would really help make the UI easier to use.

2) As others have suggested; make the “Raw” button a second programmable “function button”. If you want it to be a dedicated format-toggle, it still could be, but give us the option to do something else with that precious real estate. I shoot RAW all the time and on those rare occasions when I want to convert to JPG in the camera, I’m willing to use the menus to do it. This could probably also be done with a firmware upgrade.

3) The one hardware “request” that I would make for the next model is for an articulated LCD screen. In addition to the terrific OVF, I’d love to be able to do ground-level, overhead or discrete waist-level shooting via the LCD (this is about the only value to LCD composing, IMHO).

Ah well, there is no such thing as “The Perfect Camera”, and the X100 really does 90% of what I want it to do, so I am happy.

Welcome to the community @john_pa!

I'd say most of my wishes come down to software as well. The ability to customize the RAW button would be nice, I'll never use it as it is. A user definable 3rd menu would be a nice simple solution too.

I'm not a big fan of the 3 different view modes, I'd rather set the option in a menu, and use the view mode button to simply turn the main LCD display on or off as needed.

The ability to turn Auto ISO on or off should be in the main ISO menu, not buried in settings.

Perhaps I'm spoiled by Canon's interface, but I feel like theirs is far more intuitive and faster to use. I'm sure with some time I'll become adept and quickly working with the camera menus, but they really could better organize things. Right now it just seems like two big lists, nothing is easy to find quickly because they're not categorized enough.

Fuji seems to receptive to feedback on these issues, I'm optimistic that they'll want to make it right. I don't expect a core redesign of the menu system, but with a few tweaks they could greatly improve usability.