Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

Dust in your view finder?

Christopher

Has anyone noticed dust getting into their view finder, behind the glass?

I'm only 5 days into owning mine, and I'm noticing an alarming amount of dust collecting in the view finder, mostly behind the front piece of glass. Granted I do live in a very dusty place, Arizona, but this is kind of troubling. It's not a problem at this point, but I'm worried it may get worse, and I don't have any way to clean it.

seaton carew

Just checked can't see anything.Try sending Fuji an email they do respond it could be one of those faults that only show up after a while, worth a try.

Very disturbing, Is your horizontal line (green) true in your viewfinder Fuji contacted me over that, there are a few that are slightly out of sink its very hard to tell as it is very sensitive a couple of shots have been slightly out but that could be me.

My view finder does seem to be level, I've been able to easily shoot my parallel perspectives. Word is the cameras in the first US shipment had all been inspected for this issue before delivery, some were sent back to Japan.

I expected the view finder to be better sealed, hopefully it's just a fluke with my camera. If there were some way to clean it I wouldn't be so troubled by the issue. I'll look into contacting Fuji.

Anyone else have dust?

ehiris

No dust yet but it is a smudge magnet and I have a hard time keeping it clean.

john_pa

I haven’t seen dust, but I agree that it is hard to keep fingerprints off the OVF window. I never get my hands near the lens, but I’m going to have to retrain my fingers to stay away from the front-left too. Those smudges are noticeable when looking through the finder.

Totally a smudge magnet! Thankfully I always keep a microfiber cloth on me, for my glasses.

I'm in contact with someone at Fujifilm USA about the dust issue, it's not something they've heard occurring before. We're still trying to decide on the course of action, I'm reluctant to have to ship it away after all this wait to receive one. :(

MikeeNu

mine has dust and specs all over the camera. I think it's something to be expected though. Looking at my 5dmkII and 7d, it looks pretty much the same.

My e-p1 looks a bit worn... I kinda like it!

It hasn't been too much of an issue yet, besides being a bit of a distraction. You usually can't notice it through the OVF. It seems to be getting worse by the day though. The front piece of glass seems to have some 'wiggle' to it, if I lightly tap it I can feel it moving around. It needs a rubber or foam seal or something.

I'm just worried that within a few weeks the dust will be bad enough to disrupt the view.

alex

@Christopher, I've been noticing a bunch of dust in my viewfinder, too. Bugs me, but not much to be done. :S

Welcome to the community @alex!

I guess I'm not the only one! I do live in a particularly dusty area, perhaps everyone else without dust are in more humid climates. Or we're just unlucky ;)

alex

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on. I'm pretty careful with my camera, but I guess it's too much to expect for it to be hermetically sealed.

NickTang

Hi everyone. I'm from Singapore (A relatively humid country) I have this problem too on the 2nd day of ownership. Have it sent to Fujifilm Singapore Service Centre and they changed the whole VF! However, the camera is still with the service centre because there are still dust particles within.

Welcome to the community @NickTang!

That's troubling to hear they haven't been able to correct your dusty viewfinder! I ended up returning my first X100 with this issue, among other problems, and now have a second camera. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the viewfinder doesn't get dusty again, so far so good!

bogdanf

Unfortunately I also found yesterday a dust spec in my viewfinder. It's really annoying but the dust is not showing in pictures, so I can live with it.

turbotorben

Hi! Same problem here! Have my x100 for two weeks now and i have a huge amount of dust in the Viewfinder AND unter/in my Display! Really annoys me! Maybe a general sealing problem?

Welcome to the community @turbotorben, sorry to hear you're having trouble with dust too. It seems to me the front glass of the viewfinder should be better sealed, but it's hard to tell exactly where it's getting in.

When you say you have dust under your display, do you mean the back LCD display?

Call_me_JC

I know that this will sound really crazy....

Is it possible that this dust is coming from the inside? I am specifically thinkng about the rubbing of the EVF curtain going up and down.

I also have just a couple of dust particles but I barely use my EVF. It comes up only when of course I use macro which is not that often.

Just a crazy thought....

picgear

Me too has a dusty viewfinder. I suspect the same when I looked at the VF shutter moving up and down as this may explain those black specks, but where those lints comes from? I am thinking whether should I keep it or return it, it really bugs me.

turbotorben

Hi! For me it looks like the dust is coming in through the front of the viewfinder! And definitely NOT from inside!! Im sure because (sounds funny) i have a little tobacco particle from cigarettes in the viewfinder! Its ridiculous that particles that big can come into the viewfinder...and dont ask me how it could come in there!?! Maybe i will post pictures of my VF later!

@christopher YES i mean the back LCD display!!

AndyS

Christopher, how's that dust problem on your second camera? Better, I hope?

Well, the first bit of dust made its way into the viewfinder over the weekend. It's not nearly as bad as my first unit, nor did it happen as quickly, but it appears to be a common occurrence at this point. Granted, I live in a desert, and everything here is dusty. I wish Fujifilm had made more of an effort to seal the viewfinder from the elements.

Perhaps other rangefinder users can speak to this, but I think most cameras fall prey to this issue. I've even heard of Leica users having issues with dusty viewfinders.

AndyS

Yikes. Well, it's good for me to expect it. I'm really particular with my stuff. I'd be heartbroken if I didn't know about it in advance.

Yeah, be prepared! I'm hesitant to use my Giottos air blower to remove dust from the camera in fear that it will force something into the view finder.

picgear

Hi Chris, to compare Leica rangefinders with X100 is like compare apple to orange as they are totally different designs. The keyword with the X100 is FIXED lens, where Leicas are not. I have no hard feeling of DSLRs getting dust sooner or later. It's just impossible to avoid dust completely when changing lenses, but I didn't expect it happened on X100, as you surely can put better seals around a FIXED lens camera, especially on such an expensive one. I am now seriously considering to return it as 2 additional larger specks appeared since last I checked, let alone numerous fine dust which can only be clearly seen using a flashlight. Unacceptable!

Like other has pointed out in another forum that there were way too many places could allow dust particle goes inside the body. The camera does not as sturdy built as the look suggest, a big disappointment. I would rather Fuji to charge extra $300 to make it weather proof, dust proof.