Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

Dust in your view finder?

I completely agree, since the X100 has a fixed lens, I was excited to think that dust would never be an issue. Thankfully I don't have any dust in the lens or on the sensor, so image quality isn't effected.

Perhaps we should make an effort to contact Fujifilm about the issue, in hopes that they will revise the viewfinder window to be better sealed.

LazarouINC

3 Days & I had a white spec in mine. Now after 4 weeks I have a good few specs in there. I am very disappointed with this. A camera of this price & build, should never have any dust in there. Been a Canon 1 series user for many years & never had dust in finders. Fuji need to seal all units in a recall.

bklemm

I don't own a X100 yet (on order!) but this news is disappointing. Has anyone tried a solution to cover the front of the VF lens with anything to seal it better? Like a baggie for your mobile phone during the rain, a little bit of protection goes a long way. ;-)

Call_me_JC

Christopher,

Have you had any dust in your replacement X100 VF?

bklemm

Just asking, what if you took clear silicone bathroom calk and a Q-tip and VERY carefully, using a little bit at a time, sealed where the metal and the VF lens meets on the front of the camera?

Would that void the warranty?

BTW, it is a shame that after shelling out US$1200 that this is happening.

Call_me_JC

This morning after writing my above comment I was thinking about the same thing.

I had in mind using a syringe with a wide gauge needle and sealing the VF with silicone. This piece of glass is actually loose I can feel it and hear it moving when I clean it. I bet you anything that this was all about saving money by just dropping this piece in pre-moulded tracks instead of using a thin layer of double sided glue foam and carefully position the glass on the foam frame.

Christopher

My new camera only has one dust spec after having it for about a month now. It was a lot worse on my first camera, but I think I've been more careful with this second one. My second camera has also been kept in a case most of the time, and I haven't used a dust blower to clean it.

drbraida

Hi Guys,

My lovely x100 is about 3 weeks old and I have taken around 1000 shots. Unfortunately I also have dust behind the front glass of the OVF. I also looked closely at my lens and one has the impression that there might be dust between the first and second lens.

I have contacted Fuji UK and they have offered to look at the camera. I really expect a certain degree of dust protection for such a camera.

I guess many of us are camera buffs and there is nothing more aggravating than dust. I am going to send my x100 to Fuji UK once I get back from a business trip and will gladly report after receiving a hopefully a clean x100!

MOD022

I have some dust specs as well.... it was really bothering me, but I'm somewhat comforted knowing that I am not the only one. It's really a shame though. I take very good care of my stuff, and it's too bad because this is something I really have no control over. Even when i keep it in it's camera case, a few little 'fuzzies' from the inner lining have managed to creep in... You really can't win.

All my vintage film rangefinders have dust behind the viewfinder... I guess it's just comes with the territory. I just didn't expect to see it so soon.

jackk

Had the X100 since 1st week of Jun. When I was shooting under strong sunlight today, i could see the reflection of some fine dust/lint? in the OVF. Guess it is something that one cannot avoid....!!?

Pelixiano

ya i have some dust there, it's not affecting anything, just aesthetically annoying :)

Mine has continued to accumulate as I've traveled more with my camera, but it has yet to be a functional issue. I imagine Fujifilm will work harder to weather seal the X100's successor, this seems to be a very common occurrence.

davidplatt

While I don't have dust in my view finder yet, I did experience once, some fogging, which went away. It was from an errant drop of lens cleaner (rosco).

My advise is to put it on the paper first not directly on the view finder.

x10novice

Finally got my hands on the x10 last night, and before I even turned the camera on, noticed a black spec inside the viewfinder. I tried cleaning both front and back and still there, so its definitly inside. Very frustrating since I was so excited to bring it home. Anybody have luck getting rid of junk inside? Also anybody try to seal it better to prevent more coming in?

gregvds

Damn, a second plague, after the sticky aperture...

This begins to turn me down from the X100, too bad, that's the only good looking digital outhere...

Stan_C

umm i've had my camera since august.. i dont really have dust on my viewfinder.. but few weeks back i notice a dandruff like speck on the glass of my viewfinder.. and i can't seem to get it out.. i don't know how it got in there.. it bugs me because i give my x100 a daily cleanse every night.(i'm obsessed with my x100). but i can't seem to get that stupid dandruff out.

trustkill24

my x10 had dust in the ovf from day 1. sent it for repair. came back with dust inside. returned it again.. now its back and clear for 4 weeks.. enjoying shooting it.. funny my 6 months old x100 hasnt got that problem ... yet! but i love both

basthijssen

Same here...a dandruuf like piece in the viewer.... and it's not mine because I'm bald... ;-)

CMCheng

Hello! I am from Hong Kong and new to this forum. I have my X00 since last May and found one or two dust in the view finder a few months later. Can't remove it but it is OK to me. Last night checked it again and it is a lot there now! I really don't know how the dust can get into the VF as it is supposed to be sealed . ..

20120125_bf8e3e6a22c7ccc89b78h4wJ3KeCghA

ptsimone

Hello all,

I have had my camera since September and thousands of shots later it has been flawless. These boards scare me because it seems EVERYONE has had some kind of issues. I just would like to go on record for those on the fence about buying this camera that I personally have had nothing but excellent performance and excellent pictures. Now, I am knocking on wood, keeping fingers crossed and praying to the stars because I have probably jinxed myself. Have a great day everyone!

Paul

PS, fantastic images especially considering I am far from a professional

gregvds

Thanks ptsimone for the record. This is really good to hear this. True, Forums are all about flaws, but far less enjoying user that do not encounter any issue. I hope you continue like this.

As for the dust problem. Yesterday, I wanted to clean a little bit the front window, and had the very bad idea to blow dust away. First speck inside. Hopefully, just at the border of the window, but still inside. A piece of advice, clean your camera with a gentle blush, from side to center, things enter quite easily inside as it seems.

Netjunky

I've had my X-pro1 for about a month. First let me say I love the Camera and the picture quality is the best I've seen. I also found something in the electronic viewfinder; however, it was not dust but what looked to be like black pieces of plastic. Basically it looks like very thin slices of black plastic. There is no question in my mind that the black objects were already in the camera and did not find there way in from the outside. I have since called Fuji and shipped the camera in for repair. BTW: The objects could only be seen in the EVF. I could not see them on the LCD or the OVF. I hope Fuji gets control of this because the X-pro1 is truly a fine piece of camera equipment. I'd love to see the camera and the XF lenses all be, at the very least, dust proof if not weather proof.

elkman

I have had my X100 for one year and a half now and have used it a lot without any particular care ... nevertheless I have never noticed any dust spec in my viewfinder nor in my lens ... I'll keep my finger crossed!