Sign in to follow this  
pominpocket

Sell X-E1 buy X100S

pominpocket

I am thinking of selling my XE1 and purchasing the X100s when it is out.

I am doing this as I do not intend to buy any more lenses for the XE1 and the sensor and auto focus have been improved on the 100s and it is smaller.

But is the 35mm on the XE1 much better than the 23 on the 100S?

PhoTom

I don't have the 35(or the XE-1 for that matter) But as far as the 23 on the X100S goes, Fuji claims a new Lens Optimizer that corrects for softness due to diffraction at smaller apertures.

PiTiLeZarD

for one, the 35 is ƒ/1.4 so you suck more light out of your lens... You just have to figure how often you are above 2.8 to switch in my opinion! I personally use it quite often, in evenings, in parties, in side, in terior (ok lame joke)

But anyway about sharpness I can't say, I'm not a pixel peeper; the only differences I would strongly consider is the new angle of vision you get and the quantity of light you lose. 35mm as opposed to 53mm is not the same rendering, but if you're ok with it go for it. I'm thinking very strongly about it as well actually ;-)

pominpocket

So you lose a stop of light or more? I never thought about the focal length. When you say rendering do you mean out of focus rendering ? If so how much shallow depth of field do you get with the X100 s and can it be used as a head and shoulders lens ?

bashar

You loose half a stop I think, but at 35 you have much more depth of field. I really shot with my x100 over f2.8!35mm is about documenting life, a subject in the frame, 50 M&m is closer, more portrait and shallower depth of field to play with....

Ramirez

I am thinking of selling my XE1 and purchasing the X100s when it is out.

I am doing this as I do not intend to buy any more lenses for the XE1 and the sensor and auto focus have been improved on the 100s and it is smaller.

But is the 35mm on the XE1 much better than the 23 on the 100S?

It is strange; we are thinking the same! I am also thinking about selling my X-E1 and the zoom lens for the same reasons as you. Compactness to take it with you all the time and also off course the improved sensor etc.

I am actually thinking of selling my X-E1 and keeping my X100 classic and adding the X100s. Then I would use one of the X100 cameras with the Wide Angle Conversion Lens (that I already have) and the other one with its lens - that is giving me to focal lenghts; 28 and 35 eq. in a pretty compact form... Easy to carry with me :)

That is what I'm thinking now as I love even the X100 classic! I can't say the same for the X-E1.

PiTiLeZarD

I mean... it's an angle thing. The bokeh will be different because of the leaf shutter, but it's a nice bokeh anyway.

See for yourself:

35mm and 50mm comparison

When I had my NEX with a 18-200 I did a serie of shots trying to achieve the same framing with all focal length, it's possible-ish but you quickly see how parallels are flattened the longer you go. Then it's just a matter of taste I would say.

And I'm not sure but 2.8 -> 2.0 -> 1.4 you lose 2 stops, don't you? With a 2.0 lens it would be a no-brainer for me, now... I have 3 months to think about it ^^