Sign in to follow this  
Russ

Photos with FX 100 are dark

Russ

I've been using a DSLR for years and just got an FX 100. I seem to be having problems with two things. Every photo I take is dark and has to be fixed in Photoshop. What could be causing this?

Second, I'm a street photographer and the focusing doesn't seem to be fast enough to give me a clear photo. If the person is moving, for example, the photo is blurred. What is wrong?

I have everything set on Auto.

veejaycee

The X100 suffered from SAB - sticky aperture blades - this usually resulted in over exposure with the blades sticking in the open position. Check this by running through the apertures while looking into the lens. If you do have SAB the camera should be returned to Fuji for lens replacement (free if you're the original owner and free in the UK even if you aren't). Other than that you must have your settings wrong - maybe you hit the ev comp wheel by mistake?

These are not super-fast focus cameras. They use contrast detection AF rather than contrast detection. They do not readily acquire focus on moving subjects.

I will leave it to X100 users to advise on how to use the X100 focus for street-work.

Vic

RogerRabbit

SAB will make over expose photos not under expose (dark) ones.

Check Exposure compensation ring. It is very very easy to accident turn when using camera. Maybe it is -2.

RogerRabbit

For street shooting I think many X100 owners use zone focus instead of trying to focus on moving things.

steve1401

@Russ - not sure about the dark images, mine sometimes look dark, but often that is how the scene was. The exposure compensation dial is a real must use tool as I don't think the center weighting is the same as on DSLR's. Or do you use spot or a average metering?

Do you have any sample pics? What are your settings (do you use 200pc dynamic range for example). Do you shoot raw?

As for focus, I shoot street too, and have tried zone and auto focus. Zone is great, especially if you are focusing pretty near and want to get up close (ignore the DoF guide in the camera). However recently I've been using auto focus. This was much improved since the last firmware update. Are you on the latest?

gafer

Double check your AE setting. Is it set to "spot metering" perhaps? This might result in underexposure depending on your subject.

mattmaber

I too would recommend zone focusing, or set to MF and guess your distance before hand, if necessary tap the AFL button to refocus before shooting.

The underexposure sounds like youve nudged the exp comp dial, if not try a few shots of the same scene move the camera subtly to see what you get.

Also make sure your ISO is sufficent for the light.

guy

I had the same problem and so I came to this thread. It was none of the above but turned out to be that I had somehow set Shadow Tone to +4. That passed me by 100s of photos! 

• Like 1