Sign in to follow this  
giannigalassi

Fuji X100 real-world review

giannigalassi

I'd like to know your opinion about my real-world review of the Fuji X100 I just posted in my blog.

It can be found here

ur2funky

Hey Gianni,

Thanks for the review.

I got a little lost with your warm suggestion "to avoid the film modes, as they dramatically cut down image quality...In-camera black&white is also to be avoided..." I guess that leaves us Sepia to use, which is also a film mode!

My X100 only offers film simulation modes, nothing else jpeg....I guess I should stick with my Nikon DSLR!

It would be nice to know how long you've had the camera when you wrote the review too, with how the "honeymoon" period can affect the best of us.

Your review has made me think of drafting one of my own.

Thanks again for sharing your perspective with us.

Best regards,

Scott Ritchie

giannigalassi

Thank you Seaton.

Thank you wwjiun22.

Scott,

sepia mode slightly suffers from the same issue as b&w, as it cuts all color informations before toning the picture.

As for jpg setting, there is no need to give up the pleasure of using the X100. You only have to leave film mode at the so called "pro via-standard" value, and all image parameters on "standard" as well, and you are done.

I have been using my X100 a couple of months now, and I wrote the review a couple of days ago. As a matter of fact I'm very judgmental when testing new gear, especially when it's not given away, so my "honeymoon" period can last a couple of hours to a maximum of a couple of weeks (which was for instance the time it took for me to sell back my Leica M8 four years ago).

Despite its flaws the X100 is fun to carry around and a great photographic tool, and I'm pretty sure it will stand among my three favorite cameras for a long time.

mattmaber

I know they're obviously not directly compatible but how does the X100 stand against the Leica for you? Given the Leica was 4 years ago. I'm thinking not so much the technical specs side.

giannigalassi

Mattmaber,

in my experience the out-of-camera jpg of the X100 hugely outperforms even the best processed dng delivered by an M8 with Summicron 35. Things get clearly better with the M8.2, which is closer in quality to the M9 than to the M8 it's derived from, except from the sensor's size and resolution.

As for the M9 with the same lens, of course this delivers a technically better image quality, but the "overall" perceived quality of the X100 out-of-camera jpg is not so far from the M9's dng (forget jpg). Not as far as the 6 Mpixel gap (full frame) would suggest anyway, let alone the $ 8,000 extra price of the kit.

mattmaber

@giannigallasi - thanks, I stick to RAW with the X100 anyway. SO you don't feel you've lost anything with going from the Leica to X100? Sounds like you haven't.

Not that anything will stop me lusting after a Leica M9 lol =D

giannigalassi

Mattmaber,

I wouldn't exactly say that I gave up Leica. Fact is that in situations where I usually would have taken the M9 and Summicron 35, most of the times I found myself using the X100 instead -without any significant image quality loss- because it's lighter, performs a live histogram and, most of all, sports an awesome viewfinder (yes, better than Leica's). That said, you can safely keep on lusting after the Leica: it won't disappoint you.