Your Favorite Photographs

Christopher

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My new favorite, it has so much meaning to me...

"You read the past in some old faces..."

You read the past in some old faces...

Story below:

"A man's age is something impressive, it sums up his life: maturity reached slowly and against many obstacles, illnesses cured, griefs and despairs overcome, and unconscious risks taken; maturity formed through so many desires, hopes, regrets, forgotten things, loves. A man's age represents a fine cargo of experiences and memories." ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Wartime Writings 1939-1944

Portrait of my grandfather. Often times, the wisdom of the elderly is lost on the younger generations. All too often the young ignore their elders, even forgetting about them, "too busy" to visit or even call, they leave one of the most valuable sources of wisdom in their lives absent for months if not years at a time, yet there is so much to be learned from the older generations. “Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” ~ Soren Kierkegaard

I try to visit as often as possible, usually at least once every two weeks. We eat, talk about everything from food to current events, the weather, and everything in between. It's simple, yet it's something very few people ever do. I can't help but notice every time I sign in to the building, there's always hundreds upon hundreds of blank visitor pages. When the staff and residents see me walking down the hall, some stare, visibly surprised someone so young visits their elders, and others make comments about how nice it is that I visit my grandfather. The fact that they're surprised at it, just isn't right...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived