September 2011 Photo Challenge

Christopher

September's X100 Photo Challenge is: "Street B&W"

The Fujifilm FinePix X100 is naturally inclined to shoot street photography, the compact size, fast lens, and nearly silent shutter provide many unique opportunities . For our second X100 Enthusiasts Photo Challenge we're going to capture a black and white street photograph, something featuring a unique every day moment within our local world. Carefully capture a street scene in the timeliness of black and white, and explore the capabilities of your camera in photographing life around you. Explore the built in B&W filters of the X100, or push it further with black and white post processing.

The Rules

1. Your photo submission needs to be your own work, taken with a Fujifilm FinePix X100.
  2. You may only submit one photo per challenge.
  3. Your photo must not have been taken before September 1st, 2011.
  4. Briefly explain the settings and technique you used to capture the image.
  5. Post your photo here in this discussion, no larger than 1280 pixels wide (640 pixels wide is ideal). You may link your submission to a larger version on your website, Flickr, Photobucket, etc. if you want.

Try to have your submission posted before the end of the month! There is no exact end date, but we'll be moving on to a new photo challenge in October, so don't wait too long! If you need help posting your photograph to the discussion, read this handy guide.

Enjoy these challenges? Share your comments and ideas for future assignments in our Photo Challenge discussion.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

waitingWaiting

f/3.2, 1/200sec., iso-800, spot metering. Taken originally in provia, processed in photoshop for b/w and some cropping. The dog was very intent in what he/she was doing that he/she only looked at me once then returned his/her gaze to the shop's doorway. ッ

20110904_Monterey_02

F4.0, 1/80, ISO 200

Took this picture while visiting Monterey, CA this weekend. I was inside the Ghirardelli store and I saw this guy in his ice-cream suit working outside of the store. I loved the moment. This was shot in B&W and I adjusted the contrast in Lightroom.

Rome Airport 7th Sept.2011

ISO 800 F2 1/60th (P mode)

I had a couple of hours to kill making a connection in Rome when I spotted this scene just as my flight was called. I placed my hand luggage down in front of my subject, unzipped my X100, took it out of macro, and carefully made adjustments... actually never really looked through the viewfinder. It is a striking scene, and I like the way the laptop is plugged into the wall socket (which I only noticed when I got home, downloaded it and really observed the scene!) This shot works well in colour too... which you can also view in my "street photography" flickr set. Some distortion editing in LR3.

G-g-g-g-g-

Had to fire the flash on this one, but it was just too strange not to take a picture. This was taken at a Decentralized Dance Party. The theme was strictly business. Yep, these are business ghosts.

Archived