Sign in to follow this  
alohashirt

X100 isn't for landscapes? Au contraire!

alohashirt

When I bought my X100, some of my friends said that I wouldn't use it much for landscapes, since its color rendition isn't as rich as my L glass/ 5D Mark II combo and the 23 mm fixed lens is limiting. They pointed to some Ken Rockwell comments (although he seems to love the X100-- just not for landscapes).

After a few weeks, I definitely beg to differ. The compact size enables me to climb to vantage points that I would pass on with my heavier DSLR gear. And the image quality still amazes me. Would this shot that I took today look better if I had used my DSLR? Maybe. But I doubt I would have felt like making the climb.

Falls

KaiserSoser

No it isn't really!

Buttermere, Lake District

Newlands Valley, Lake District

Blackpool Pier, UK

The only limit is yourself...not the X100!

K1W1

The photographic world and all photographic principles revolve around the axis of Rockwell. If he says the X100 is no good at landscapes then it is no good at landscapes. I have no idea why you are even carrying your cameras in these circumstances. :D

Jeremy_Johnson

@KaiserSoser - Those shots are amazing!! I really love the second one.

K1W1

The wrath of Rockwell will descend upon you. Run for the hills (but do not take the X100).

K1W1

He loves it. It drives people to his site and he makes money from click throughs.

NJC

X100 or even the Xpro1 brilliant for lanscapes in my opionion, if you are going high up backpacking. For years I have dragged huge equipment up mountains, now I do not have to, the only things I would take as well, mini ball head tripod, and cable release. Oh and Ken..... well what can be said about good old Ken......we all read him, and sometimes he comes out with some interesting and helpful stuff, then he can be bloody annoying with some of his stupid comments, but I expect I will still continue to read him.

NJC

Oh but I would never click through ha ha, I will not make him one penny or should that be cent !

Nettles

Rockwell's website has extensive information on the X100, probably more than most sites out there. He uses the X100 a lot in certain contexts and personally I'm impressed with many of the images he publishes online. Take a look.

It seems to me his reasons for not using the X100 for landscapes are just a personal preference based on manufacturers' colour differences and his practical need to change lenses. He's really enthusiastic about this camera as a carry-anywhere tool for people/family shots in a wide range of available light situations.

The X100's focal length is certainly useful for capturing landscape images but we would be significantly limited if that's all we had.

SnapPuppy

Add the wide angle and you have an awesome landscape camera.

alohashirt

Just to be clear-- I enjoy reading Rockwell and he seems to love the X100 for a "people" camera. I read his X100 review and guide during the months that I was thinking of buying the X100, but came here to find insights from real-world users. I got that and more!

I was hoping my post would generate some discussion-- and help people who may wonder about the X100's suitability for landscape photography. It did, thanks.

Finally, I have plenty of admiration for Rockwell. Who else could actually earn a living from writing gear reviews and generating click-through commissions? All while saying that "your camera doesn't matter."

He gets great shots, offers helpful insights occasionally, and makes for a fine diversion while sitting in my office pretending to work.

elithrar

I think the 35mm (effective FOV) lens on the X100 is well suited to 'scapes. There has been—recently, mostly—a sort of drive towards a "ultra wide angle or bust" mentality that is at odds with work from the last couple of decades.

pominpocket

I read Rockwell right at the start of the Fuji revolution. He has many choices but actually owns a X100 as his people camera. He seems to love it. Steve Huff also owned one.

I like the pictures a lot . I am thinking of a x100s but I have XE1 and x10 do I need another camera ? Maybe yes and maybe just one . But think I would feel the limits of the 35 lens .

KaiserSoser

For what its worth I thought I would feel the same. But after taking the plunge I found it so liberating that I sold my 7D outfit and bought the XPRO1 to go with it. I still prefer the X100 though!

alohashirt

I sold my 7D outfit and bought the XPRO1 to go with it

I would have done the same thing if I still had my 7D or any other crop sensor DSLR. I've drunk the Fuji Koolaid 100 percent. There's still no substitute for a full frame DSLR and L glass in the types of photography I like to do (landscapes, real estate, and macro). But I doubt I'll ever have a reason to own a crop sensor DSLR again. The combination of an X100s, an XE1, and some lenses would be enough to bring joy to most serious photographers.

beetwo77

Nice shots original poster and Kaiser. I use an X-Pro1 not an X100 but it is fantastic for landscapes. The X100's field of view is pretty decent for landscapes. If you need a wider field of view, you can just stitch a few shots together and you have a bit of room to move for cropping.

Just buy a couple of screw ND filters, a three stop and 2 x 6 stop for very long exposures and perhaps something like the LEE Seven5 grad kit and away you go.

The usual applies that any camera just about can make great images but all of the Fuji X cameras can turn out fantastic landscape images.

I have been loving the Fuji for landscapes:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/9253227@N02/sets/72157632628722939/

adam

Hi Beetwo77 , I absolutely adore your images , fantastic. A real showcase for the Fuji and your obvious prowess as a photographer.

Adam.

beetwo77

Thank you Adam. I've been very happy with the Fuji and it has done good service for me.

K1W1

Just buy a couple of screw ND filters, a three stop

The X100 and X100s both have a 3 stop ND filter built in.

Thanks for posting the link to your images I've just seen NSW in a whole new way.

WilzWorkz7

i totally agree. the camera can do landscape...and the reason why i deliberate shoot lots of landscape is to prove one person wrong.

gafer

Here's another previous thread on this very topic:Click

No doubt the X100 shines as a landscape tool. It's all I took with me last summer to Colorado and I'm not sorry.

andyfromboston

Rockwell doesn't like Fuji color because he evaluates color by setting the camera as vivid as it goes and shooting in lowest quality JPG, and evaluates how saturated the color is. Fujis resist being as unreasonable with the color as he wants them to be, so he says they have terrible color.