Sign in to follow this  
K1W1

Does the X100s shutter count lie?

K1W1

Mine says 200. The last image I uploaded to the computer was #76 and none were deleted from the card before it was taken from the camera.

The shutter count was zero when I got the camera (I checked).

The manual says that the count is "the approximate number of times the shutter has been released".

If 200 is an approximation of 76 I dread to think what the count number will be after several thousand shots have been taken.

Markdphotoguy

Most companies test fire their cameras off the assembly line quite a bit to test shutter speeds, aperture function, AF function and exposure. I've worked in camera shops for overa decade now and I've never seen new cameras without actuations on the shutter. Hand assembled cameras like pro bodies from canikon and Fuji X100(s), XP1, (not sure if the xe1 is hand assembled as well but I suspect so) usually get more of a shutter workout.

I'm not sure why your initial count would have been zero that would be counter (pun intended) to my experience. Check your exif data, the number of actuations should be exact in the exif and may give better indication of what's going on.

K1W1

Exif appears to be consistent with the frame number not the shutter count display.

Markdphotoguy

Be interesting to see what happens to the number as time progresses. Will it stabalize or go crazy big.

I wonder does it count by blocks rounding up as it goes in big steps or does it count up one frame at a time as you shoot? Maybe when shutter counts get into the tens of thousands +\- 150 ish isn't a big deal as far as Fuji is concerned. Curious.

K1W1

I'm now at photo #167 and the counter has skipped straight from 200 to 300. If it only registers to roughly almost sort of the neatest hundred photos with some exceptions then it's basically useless as a counter.

I keep continuous counting on on my images anyway so I can always tell from the directory and file numbers exactly how many images I have taken.

I don't think Fuji have thought this through very well. The data for the display is in that camera anyway why not just display an accurate count? Having said that if this is the worst problem I have with the X100s than I will be extremely happy.

hdahl100

My filenames (jpg) are DSF1xxx. So f.x. my third shot was DSF1003.

Does the "1" mean anything? Folder no. 1?

Back to topic: My lightroom catalogue says I've taken 490 shots with the x100S. The camera says it's 1000. :)

ergoforce

I found the counter to be off as well. The image numbering was at _DSF0052 whereas the shutter counter showed 100. The counter also seems to only show in even hundreds.

ergoforce

My filenames (jpg) are DSF1xxx. So f.x. my third shot was DSF1003.

Does the "1" mean anything? Folder no. 1?

Back to topic: My lightroom catalogue says I've taken 490 shots with the x100S. The camera says it's 1000. :)

Maybe the equation for the counter goes like this:

Shutter counter = 2 x (50 + user actuations)

50 or somehwere above and around that would be the actuations taken during the testing in the production.

It would be interesting to know how the counter works for users with firmware 1.00.

gryphon1911

Do we know if the shutter count is number of images or number of times the shutter has actuated?

This could be different depending if you are shooting panoramas - one merged image could be 10, 20 or more shutter actuations.

K1W1

Shutter count should be the number of shutter actuations not the number of photos. It is on other cameras and that is what you would expect.

I have not taken any panos but you do have a valid point there.

Overall I don't really care expect for one thing. I saw mentioned on a web site somewhere that the shutter count will be handy for establishing the camera use when buying or selling used cameras. Well it appears it will not be accurate and depending on how inaccurate it is in the long term it could be the source of issues during a sale process for example on ebay.

hdahl100

From the manual:

"View the approximate number of times the shutter has been released.

The count is also incremented each time the camera is turned off, playback mode is selected, or the optical viewfinder is activated."

So activating OVF, taking a picture, viewing it via PB button and then turning the camera off counts as four pictures taken?

gryphon1911

God only knows. Why did Fuji change up the file name for video and other shooting modes on the X10?

Only they know for sure....but it is good for all of us to know where the numbers are coming from, that is for sure.

Smells like a firmware upgrade for sure unless Fuji can convince that this is a valid idea.

bashar

mine says 2700 for 5 days of use?! help! i do not think i will be selling this camera for a long time, but at this rate I will flip the counter back to zero!

Petrus

Maybe it actually shows shutter actuations, not how many times the shutter has been fired? Shutter must open and close when using EVF or LCD.

If it rounds up the number to nearest 100 is no big deal, after a few years does it matter if it says 28900 or 28877?

K1W1

If it rounds up the number to nearest 100 is no big deal, after a few years does it matter if it says 28900 or 28877?

Absolutely it matters.

I am now at photo 205 and the count reads 400. If the ratio is maintained when I have taken 20,000 photos the count will read over 39,000. If I wanted to sell the camera to you would you be more inclined to buy a 20,000 shot camera or a 39,000 shot one?

Petrus

If all X100s counters count actual shutter actuations rather than the number of pictures taken, then all sellers of used X100s bodies are in the same situation. Something that needs to be explained to the buyer.

I was referring to the display accuracy of nearest 100 by the way. I still do not think it matters much if the counter is 28877 or 28900, do you?

NYCGooner

Yeah.. I've taken 957 captures with the camera and the shutter count reads 2000. That sorta sucks.

NYCGooner

So, you know when the camera goes to sleep when trying to save power? You guessed it! Tick!

poatkar

I guess it's just relating the number of shutter actuations.. turning it on/off will result in essentially the same thing as capturing a photo; the leaf shutter will open/close. so turning it on/off isn't a totally wear-less operation, but I would guess (hope) the leaf shutter is good for a few hundred thousand operations or more so no big deal (again, i hope)

K1W1

How about ignoring it for now?

I would like to see Fuji ignore it and remove it from the user menu in a firmware update.

The implementation is poor and it's confusing to users and will no doubt be a source or argument in second hand sales.

Fuji can always access the info if they're servicing a camera if they need it but the way it is implemented it has no practical use for any user.

mattmaber

I can understand that, hence my point. It's not shutter presses as we usually might understand so why stress about it. Point it this out to potential buyers and just go take damn photos ;)

NYCGooner

You're absolutely right mattmaber, when this was pointed out to me it was a bit concerning. After a day to roll around in my mind I care more about the photos than I care about any future resale value. Though I DO hope fuji decides to eliminate this, I mean, it does say XXXX00 "SHOTS" not Actuations.