X100s firmware version 1.02 now available

K1W1

ooops, i think we hijacked this thread, sorry!

I saw that myself after I commented - maybe Christopher can move these last 3 to a more appropriate place.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say Fuji needs to address the quality of the initial firmware releases. The reason why the succeeding updates improved X100 and X-Pro1 greatly are because the first firmware versions are incomplete in my opinion. That is of course also reason why Fuji have to release updates more frequently than other companies such as Canon or Nikon.

There is a trade off between time-to-market and the level of quality for the product launch, but with true Kaizen mentality, Fujifilm ought to pay attention to the initial launch quality.

I believe the AF speed in good light was degraded from firmware 1.00 to 1.01. This quality drop in succeeding firmware version is unprecedented and opposite to what Kaizen stands for. Placebo effect or not, all the newer firmware versions for X100, X-Pro1 have been regarded as better or equal to previous versions. It's debatable how accurate this opinion is since nobody has compared 1.00 to 1.01.

Since I never had experience with 1.00, I can only compare to the AF speed of X100, the video clips of X100S and what Fujifilm claims of being the world's fastest AF speed in good light and 1.01 doesn't even come close to the claims.

Reading about 1.02 performance in good light, the AF speed might have been corrected. The readers stating AF speed is no better than X100 in bad light is expected as the old CDAF algorithm is used. However, I expect X100S to be not slower than X100 which was not the case with firmware 1.01 with AF assist light disabled.

I will try a X100S with 1.02 during this or next week and if the AF speed in good light has been addressed, I probably won't be able to resist getting one.

So canon and Nikon are good because they release less updates than Fuji and get it right on the first trial! I cannot even comment on this!! And you are holding off buying the camera because of this issue, that you admit might be a placebo! No comments again! I really don't know what to say here, out of words!

So canon and Nikon are good because they release less updates than Fuji and get it right on the first trial! I cannot even comment on this!! And you are holding off buying the camera because of this issue, that you admit might be a placebo! No comments again! I really don't know what to say here, out of words!

Well, then don't. It's my opinion whether you like it or not. And your statements don't reflect what I actually wrote.

I installed 1.02 last night after having been using 1.01 since I received my camera. I did some Test focusing around my apartment last night in low light and my walk to work this morning in good light. I will say that the focus does appear noticeably faster in both. Obviously I need more than a day to make a firm conclusion on just how much faster, but I'm confident that it is better and not a placebo.

I installed 1.02 last night after having been using 1.01 since I received my camera. I did some Test focusing around my apartment last night in low light and my walk to work this morning in good light. I will say that the focus does appear noticeably faster in both. Obviously I need more than a day to make a firm conclusion on just how much faster, but I'm confident that it is better and not a placebo.

Good info, thanks. I didn'think 1.01 to 1.02 was placebo either. Nor do I think it was placebo effect of the AF degradation in good light from 1.00 to 1.01.

Regarding your findings in low light, did you shoot with AF assist lamp on or off?

As someone who have owned 3 x-100 and now x-100s, I can say this same story is so typical, I have witnessed the same discussion come up every time there is a firmware update! :-*

As someone who have owned 3 x-100 and now x-100s, I can say this same story is so typical, I have witnessed the same discussion come up every time there is a firmware update! :-*

Actually not. I don't recall there has been an occassion where the AF speed of a newer firmware has been perceived to be worse. Better or equal yes. This time it is somewhat more difficult as we are comparing two different albeit closely related cameras. However I was expecting a huge improvement of AF speed in good to very good light with X100S as claimed by Fuji.

As virtually all users of X100S with firmware 1.00, previously being users of X100, experience significant AF speed improvements, while as far as I can see in forums approximately 50% users of X100S with firmware 1.01, either don't see any difference or just marginally better (sometimes even slower than X100), I am inclined to believe something was amiss with 1.01 in AF speed area.

I still own a X100 and have had it since the beginning of May 2011. I didn't have to recall from my memory what X100 AF speed might have been when I also had a X100S with firmware 1.01. For me, it was on the average no difference in AF speed between these two in good light. In bad light, the X100S was faster locking AF with AF assist lamp on, but with the lamp off, X100 was faster. Faster locking, but a tad less accurate than X100S. I tried with another X100S together with an authorised Fuji reseller at the store after my own longer experiments. We agreed there was no perceivable difference in AF speed between my X100S and the store's X100S, and then that there was no difference between the X100/1.30 and X100S/1.01 in terms of AF speed in good light. I can at least with confidence say there was no difference between those three particulars. In all other aspects they seem to work as intended.

The AF assist lamp was off.

Thanks again. I have been waiting for this as at the time when I got the X100S with firmware 1.01, I didn't know if the AF speed could be fixed by a newer firmware or not.

I fail to see the point of this discussion, even if 50% of users "internet amplification will make it 90%" believed 1.02 is faster or equivalent to 1.0 and fuji screwed up in 1.01, WHAT IS THE POINT?! big deal?! I have been shooting happily with my X-100s and have confidence that fuji will do nothing but improve it, why whine about something that is done and waist all this energy agonizing over it?! I haven't noticed anything major, if anything it was physiological! and i really wanted to believe that its faster!

I fail to see the point of this discussion, even if 50% of users "internet amplification will make it 90%" believed 1.02 is faster or equivalent to 1.0 and fuji screwed up in 1.01, WHAT IS THE POINT?! big deal?! I have been shooting happily with my X-100s and have confidence that fuji will do nothing but improve it, why whine about something that is done and waist all this energy agonizing over it?! I haven't noticed anything major, if anything it was physiological! and i really wanted to believe that its faster!

I do think users experiencing no AF speed improvement with X100S/1.01 or hesitating to replace their X100 will find it useful to know that it has been improved with 1.02.

There are no reasons to hide or defend bad quality assurance from Fuji's part if that is what happened with the firmware 1.01. And to fix any major initial flaws with later upgrades are just a bad habit. It is better if there are none in the first place. User experiences are shared fast online and the uncertainty and silence regarding AF speed issue could only have affected X100S sales in a negative way.

I really don't see the point of discussing something that is NOT scientifically proven, apart from some people's feelings... Anyhow, you have a point about Fuji marketing being deceiving, the camera is still not an SLR or a speed demon, but its a giant step over the old model, its up to you to decide if its a worthy upgrade or not, but do not expect giant firmware speed bumps in the future. We are bombarded with marketing hype, but the real value of upgrading is only for you to decide.

I really don't see the point of discussing something that is NOT scientifically proven, apart from some people's feelings... Anyhow, you have a point about Fuji marketing being deceiving, the camera is still not an SLR or a speed demon, but its a giant step over the old model, its up to you to decide if its a worthy upgrade or not, but do not expect giant firmware speed bumps in the future. We are bombarded with marketing hype, but the real value of upgrading is only for you to decide.

I think there is a statistical significance that AF speed was degraded in 1.01 compared to 1.00. If the X100S allows to downgrade firmware just as with X100, it should be easy to confirm or refute any differences if one would feel an urge to do so.

There are no reasons to defend marketing hype either if the claimed world's fastest AF speed was just that. There is nothing for Fuji to gain by using deceitful marketing. We all have seen how fast AF seems to be with X100S in several video clips in good light. There are at least some early X100S that actually are significantly faster than X100 and few times I did see the AF locking almost instantly with X100S/1.01. I don't think it is just a marketing hype.

I want to see that kind of AF speed more often then seldom in the very X100S I am getting. Nothing more or nothing less. Hopefully 1.02 is the remedy.

Dude!! The camera has been fine with 1.01 and 1.02! There is no remedy here! There was no real issue to begin with, and how long have you actually used the camera to make such a bold statement about s non existing problem... Just people expressing there feelings while real photographers are turning magic with this camera

Dude!! The camera has been fine with 1.01 and 1.02! There is no remedy here! There was no real issue to begin with, and how long have you actually used the camera to make such a bold statement about s non existing problem... Just people expressing there feelings while real photographers are turning magic with this camera

Not when it comes to AF speed improvement in X100S/1.01. I compared it to X100/1.30 side-by-side for 5-6 hours. It would have been enough to test it for at most 1 hour really. I am basing it on my experience, the authorised Fuji reseller's and quite a few other users at different forums. I don't see myself nor the others to be simply expressing "their feelings" as you put it so disrepectfully. Mostly the findings were shared without any emotional outburst. If anyone is expressing their feelings, I would have to say you are the most pronounced participant in this discussion.

Excatly what you are basing your opinions on? Did you even do your own testing side-by-side with a X100/1.30? How many X100S with 1.01 have you compared with?

While you guys spend your time sitting in front of screens arguing of what might or might not be fractions of a second difference in focus acquisition times I have upgraded my camera from 1.01 to 1.02 and guess what? It still works and I still have never missed a shot through slow focus acquisition. I know that because I'm actually USING my camera to take photographs not debating what people say on forums.

Some of you guys need to decide whether you want to own cameras to take photos with or whether you just want to be tech head geeks who have no life.

@k1w1 can you please come down to earth man, shake hands and go out shooting instead of chiming in this senseless discussion that is not worth your time and energy, the x-100s is such a fine camera. Ergoforce I do not have 36 hours of my life to compare this with the old x-100, I am actually enjoying it so much, cheers man, hugs and love to all, I hope we can all keep it civilized unlike the dpr crowed.

While you guys spend your time sitting in front of screens arguing of what might or might not be fractions of a second difference in focus acquisition times I have upgraded my camera from 1.01 to 1.02 and guess what? It still works and I still have never missed a shot through slow focus acquisition. I know that because I'm actually USING my camera to take photographs not debating what people say on forums.

Some of you guys need to decide whether you want to own cameras to take photos with or whether you just want to be tech head geeks who have no life.

You amuse me with your condemning tone when a technical aspect is discussed. "tech geeks who have no life"? I wonder what is driving you to ventilate your wiseguy style in a discussion where your contribution is the absolutely most meaningless one? Some of us are comparing X100 with X100S since it is important to us for reasons obviously not shared by you, but that doesn't make your opinion be the right one nor mine to be wrong. If you are interpreting my opinions as bashing your X100S or think I see a camera just a gadget to be dissected, then you are wrong. I'm not. Stop lecturing and being judgemental.

Lets not get into argument guys, @ergoforce, ignore the chime! We are just discussing our point of views and we have the right to disagree without being negative,take care

Lets not get into argument guys, @ergoforce, ignore the chime! We are just discussing our point of views and we have the right to disagree without being negative,take care

Oh, I am in a good mood. Just wanted to try K1W1's approach to see if it's my cup of tea.

Cheers. We simply agree to disagree in this matter.

I agree its a healthy rewarding thing to go out and take photographs. But since K1W1 has posted 596 times on this forum alone does that mean he has not gone out taking photographs 596 times or was he a tech head 596 times?

Archived