X100s firmware version 1.02 now available

K1W1

I have upgraded my camera from 1.01 to 1.02. I can't see any difference (I did not have the problem the firmware is supposed to fix) but who knows what else is changed. I guess i will find out over the next few days.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AF performance has definitely improved for me, there is less hunting overall. The biggest improvement I have seen is in OVF power save mode. It's able to find focus in one quick movement. Before, it seemed to hunt back and forth once or twice regardless of where I point it.

AF performance has definitely improved for me, there is less hunting overall. The biggest improvement I have seen is in OVF power save mode. It's able to find focus in one quick movement. Before, it seemed to hunt back and forth once or twice regardless of where I point it.

This update doesn't seem to address AF so I think this might just be a placebo effect.

haha well as I've read before, previous X100 updates never mentioned AF improvements but people certainly noticed differences as the FW versions incremented.

And i assure you the difference in OVF power save mode is no placebo, it is way faster than before. if someone wanted to show a before/after video of focus performance in OVF mode with power save enabled, that would be the easiest way to prove a difference.

Japanese companies are not known for admitting mistakes and there is a widely held belief that X100s focus slowed between v1.00 and v1.01 so it is entirely plausible that focus speed may have been tweaked in this firmware release and that it was not mentioned.

I have actually never heard a complaint about the issue that was supposedly fixed so why then did there need to be a firmware fix for something that is not being widely complained about if it's being complained about at all?

Japanese companies are not known for admitting mistakes and there is a widely held belief that X100s focus slowed between v1.00 and v1.01 so it is entirely plausible that focus speed may have been tweaked in this firmware release and that it was not mentioned.

I have actually never heard a complaint about the issue that was supposedly fixed so why then did there need to be a firmware fix for something that is not being widely complained about if it's being complained about at all?

That sounds like an urban myth if I ever heard one. Why is it that Fuji have consistently provided customers with firmware updates (explaining what was in the update and how to download it) instead of trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes?

Why is now that it is Japanese company that is not known for admitting mistakes instead of just a big company?

Some companies Japanese or otherwise let the fault remain and then make another camera and sell it as an upgrade. But even with my x10 I ended up with a better camera than the one I bought. I like that. This upgrade is for the screen brightness not working and had nothing to do with auto focus.

I'm not sure about Fuji, but having worked for Playstation I can say first hand that we bundled many non advertised items in firmware updates. I'm happy Fuji is quickly releasing ones for the S model. I have noticed an improvement in low contrast focus speed.

I for myself have NOT noticed any speed bump or performance difference between 1.01 and 1.02, could very well be a placebo with some internet amplification, its not as "widely popular as some put it, Most cameras in the Europe and north america shipped with 1.01, very few nerds had the luxury of comparing or even holding 2 X-100s with 1.01 and 1.00 at the same time....

FWIW, I purchased mine early with 1.0 firmware, I held off upgrading after hearing about the AF problem so have gone straight to 1.0.2

I didn't have any AF problems with 1.0, but I did get a fuzzy screen crash happen once, so hopefully they fixed that.

One other thought, I suspect the AF is now about as fast as it can be, with the current lens. Probably future versions of the camera will have linear motors like the zoom, as that seems to make a huge difference.

@stuartm,

I must disagree. My X100 was faster in low light than my new X100S with FW 1.02

Fuji will have to update this issue.

In good light you are right. Although the X100S is near enough instant in these conditions.

@stuartm,

I must disagree. My X100 was faster in low light than my new X100S with FW 1.02

Fuji will have to update this issue.

In good light you are right. Although the X100S is near enough instant in these conditions.

I never had the x100 so can't compare. I hope you're right though, I would love it to be even faster. I must admit, the x-e1 is very fast with the zoom, I haven't tested vs the x100s, but it can't be much different.

Would they not have already built in any improvements learned from the X100 in the first release of he camera, isn't that one of the main reasons for releasing a new camera?

Would they not have already built in any improvements learned from the X100 in the first release of he camera, isn't that one of the main reasons for releasing a new camera?

Hooray!!

Unfortunately Fuji are somewhat inconsistent in that regard. Sometimes it's two steps forward one step back but at least they do keep trying and they are responsive to customer complaints. As an new player with a very small market share they have to be really.

Some people point to the number of firmware updates from Fuji as a good thing which in one way it is but really in 2013 it could also be argued that then tend to go off half cocked and that their R&D is not as good as it should be. Many of the things that X series firmware updates have addressed should never have been present in the first place.

make it, launch it, fix it

fujifilm seems more willing to go with this high tech SW attitude than other japanese manufacturers. Other manufacturers don't seem to require as much awareness of FW updates to get to an 'acceptable' level of performance.

fuji's way in the digital camera market has always been to innovate, so i am all for their shakier and flakier initial FW if it means they can actually attempt to make changes in the first place. god knows how hard it is to reach even a releasable product. It is a huge battle to fight the 'industry standard' way of doing things in the tech world (they spent 4-5 years on just developing the processing chips for x-trans sensors) so if they can continue to produce the flavorful product folder that identifies them apart from their more competitors, f- yea.

i guess it's their business/marketing model, appealing to design, aesthetic, user experience, and image quality with highest priority, and letting overall product stability, even integrity suffer. it is perhaps immoral or shameful what they put customers through but when I see the difference their innovation makes, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling for letting the vision happen.

maybe they will get better at software as they make more profit on the x series, lol

The major players tend to follow the safe route and just iterate the same basic package from one model to the next and when they deviate from those packages (think Canon EOS M or Nikon 1 series) it's pretty obvious that their ability to think creatively is lets say limited. Having somebody like Fuji in the market will be good for the whole market it's just that life as a Fuji owner can be a little frustrating at times and owners need to accept that.

I wonder what would happen if Nikon launched a really retro looking camera like one of their old range finders. I mean a mirrorless camera with style. A set of lenses to go with it.

I wonder what would happen if Nikon launched a really retro looking camera like one of their old range finders. I mean a mirrorless camera with style. A set of lenses to go with it.

If they made it to take my current F bayonet lenses and the output was good then I'd definitely go for it. However, for the sake of compactness it would probably require new lenses since lens to sensor distance would need to be retained for SLR lenses which brings us back to adapters again - they might retain automation though.

Yes . I am looking to build on my lens system and know you like the 18-55 I just realized it has image stablisation so is this lens good in low light ? Is the focus faster than 35? I am also wanting to go with the X100 to replace X10 but that's all old history now. How does it feel to have a lions jaws in your camera lens ? Scary?

Hi Pom. Yes the AF of the zoom is faster and quieter than that of the 35mm and with the f2.8 of the 28mm wide angle end plus high ISO of the XE1 you have tremendous low light capability - throw in 3-4 stops of stabilisation and a zoom up to 55mm and you have a hell of a lens that covers just about all urban work whatever the light levels. Coupled with your 35mm f1.4 for ultra narrow DoF - which is becoming kind of a cliché these days (and zone focus with a smaller aperture will serve you better for street), there isn't much you can't shoot. It would replace your x10 zoom and provide the extra quality you desire. I know I'm throwing a spanner into the works but while I think the X100s will satisfy your GAS for a short period, you will soon realise that for you the zoom makes more sense and will eventually be what you end up with. The zoom is considerably cheaper than X100s and the difference would easily leave you enough to buy a used 85mm f1.8 or 100/135mm f2.8 Nikon and adapter for those narrow DoF portraits you like (85mm = 127mm, 100mm = 150mm, 135mm = 200mm). - Or even possibly after a while - a used X100 non-S

Vic

As someone who owned the X-E1 with 35mm and the Zoom allow me to chime in! the 35 was FASTER and hunts less in low light than the Zoom, the wide aperture allows it to capture more light in, so the contrast detection works better. I was always carrying the Zoom for daylight and switching to 35 at night, also, with F2.8-4 there is little shutter speed left to freeze the action and avoid blur at night, the 35 can give decent depth of field at F2 if needed...

Archived