X100S 1.03 Firmware Available

ChrisOwens

Hi guys,

It looks like the v1.03 is available over on the Fuji website: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/x100s/

Fixes:

The phenomenon is fixed that in rare cases a grainy image like TV fuzz could appear on LCD under a certain shooting condition.

I've been trying to see if anything else is included, but haven't found anything. I'm still looking though, so let me know if you spot anything.

Cheers,

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the posts Im reading now Im googling this after you hijacked the other post and are attempting to hijack this one are that it only happens when the EVF live view is active. Maybe find out the truth of this and move on?

I never use the EVF and it happens whenever I'm in full sun.

Matt, finding out the truth of this is exactly what I've been trying to do. Sorry about hijacking the other thread, but it seemed to me in this thread that the OP extended the invitation to sort out what this firmware does and doesn't address.

I realize that for many, perhaps even most, users of the X100/X100s this matter is a non-issue, but for what I do it hugely compromises the basic utility of the camera. I cannot stress how terribly disappointing it is, upon editing a day's take, to find potentially good shots completely ruined by the 1/2 second delay the 'dance' imposes.

As I say, Ive never noticed it and all the replies on the youtube seem to suggest its the live view and therefore unavoidable and also on many other cameras. If thats the case then I can't see what to suggest besides, go back to a DSLR?

I assure you it's not associated with live view, either via the EVF or LCD, as I never use it.

Haven't you ever had the experience, on reviewing your images, of finding ones that are inexplicably badly framed, due to having dropped the camera from your eye prior to the shutter going off?

I have a few late shots, though not many and TBH they only seem to when Im shooting RAW & JPEG.

JPEG & MF seem pretty instantaneous. THe aperture maybe moves a bit prior to the shutter firing but I wouldnt have noticed without checking.

The Fuji Guys on twiter seem amiable and responsive, ask them and also make a polite enquiry to Arias to speak to Fuji, though he may not have much direct sway. It maybe that its simply the nature of the beast, Im no engineer.

@ChrisOwens Thx for providing this info.. After several crashes of my x100s it seems we have overcome it..

Funny: fuji in kleve instructed me to send back the cam.. Now a firmware fixes it.. Sometimes its better to move on and enjoy..

I never use the EVF and it happens whenever I'm in full sun.

Matt, finding out the truth of this is exactly what I've been trying to do. Sorry about hijacking the other thread, but it seemed to me in this thread that the OP extended the invitation to sort out what this firmware does and doesn't address.

I realize that for many, perhaps even most, users of the X100/X100s this matter is a non-issue, but for what I do it hugely compromises the basic utility of the camera. I cannot stress how terribly disappointing it is, upon editing a day's take, to find potentially good shots completely ruined by the 1/2 second delay the 'dance' imposes.

If it doesn't work for you and your methods I suggest moving to a different camera.

I can't be sympathetic since I lose far more photos to me being an idiot and not knowing what I'm doing than any perceived shortcomings with the camera itself.

I watched the video on youtube and tried to recreate it on my X100 and I honestly couldnt tell if it was happening or not. Maybe I need a brighter ambient light, I really dont know.

The aperture varied in light, then when i hit the shutter it seemed to go straight to the set aperture without opening wider. Ill have to try it in full bright light though.

@mattmaber

sorry - recently I am starting to read less carefully here also..

x100s crash - had it happen.. 5-6 times, so I am really pleased now

aperture jitter thing - happens all the time on my x-pro1 only.. doesnt matter..

matt - small apertures, like f8 - f16, only in full bright sun, and camera set on aperture priority. When it's happening and you are watching for it the effect is unmistakable.

I am in the process of going through all my photographs stored on my computer. I have freed up and discarded thousands of photos and made a library that I will place on a back up drive.

Photographs made with Pansonic FZ30 Noisy unreal and many out of focus

With Nikon D90 many more in focus but many over exposed.

With Nikon D7000 about the same some over exposed, many badly framed due to error. But some very good results even with that Leica Panasonic super zoom thing .

X10 good success rate but not good at 150 percent

XE1 including in bright sun light at first as I was only using 1.4 on 35 very over exposed .

Then very high success rate and very happy with camera but a learning curve.

X100s? if it ever arrives I will get it .

I am not worried about aperture dance.

I had a D600 and often it refused to focus in good light too.

Archived