Sign in to follow this  
OrvilleTheCat

New X10 with old serial number/sensor

OrvilleTheCat

I just received my new X10 from Amazon. However it has a serial number starting with 14mxxxxx. Should I just keep it and hope I dont get WDS errors or send it back straight away? If I take some shots to test it out I guess they will not give me all my money back, because its used.

What would you guys do?

veejaycee

If it has a new sensor/lens assembly then it is not new but refurbished and should be sold as such. If the serial number is known to be an early one I would question why it only now being sold. (I don't remember if that was an affected group - I have a feeling t was numbers beginning with 11, 12 and maybe 13 but I'm not sure. Where is FinePixCamera when you need him! :)

franco

ha - FinePix...bless that miserable sod.

Mine is a 14, and orbed to the max. It never bothered me, but it has naffed a lot of people off.

I'd send it back.

OrvilleTheCat

Thanks for your replies!

How can that not bother you? =)

Do you know whether all 14s produce those white orbs or are there any which are fine?

zen

some 14s had orbs, most did not. 14 was when the new sensors went into the camera bodies. check to see if you have orbs first before you return camera, send it to fuji etc...

andyfromboston

I would send it back. Just having an SN that could be orb'ed lowers its value if you ever want to resell it, even if it doesn't have orbs. Also, Amazon charges $450 for an X10, and you can get a verified used, good condition no-orb X10 for $100 less than that. (E.g., search eBay for Fuji X10 No Orbs or look for listings on this site in the Marketplace board.)

Dennis

@OrvilleTheCat Your camera is produced in Q4 2011 and as such equipped with the original sensor affected with a design flaw causing white orbs under certain conditions. Not all users seemed to be affected, but it is (and I stress this) my personal opinion that all original sensors would exhibit this behaviour - this was never confirmed by Fujifilm.

My X10, also from Q4 2011, could produce the orbs, and was later (May 2012, when the new sensor was available) retrofitted with the new sensor. If you want to provoke your X10 into producing orbs, you will have some hints here:

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/comment/25194#Comment_25194

If you are up to it, you might want to have a look at the two (heated) discussions below:

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/1772/anyone-heard-from-fuji-about-the-x10-sensor-replacement

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/1566/x10-orb-fix

I suggest you take contact with the seller/Amazon and have some clarification on the condition of the camera. Has the camera been refurbished (documentation?) or is it indeed an untouched 2011 sample - you might want to refer to the statement from Fujifilm last year (which sort of underplays the issue):

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/12/Fujifil-X10-X-S1-white-disc-cause-and-fixes

Anyway, still a great little camera, taking brilliant shots - also with the original sensor.

OrvilleTheCat

Thanks Dennis I wrote an email to both Amazon and the seller.

andyfromboston

You bought it from an Amazon 3rd party seller?

You should know that, unless the 3rd party seller was also a Fuji authorized dealer, even if the camera is sold as new, Fuji may deny you warranty service. If it was sold by Amazon itself and is new, you have a warranty.

If it was "fulfilled by Amazon" (meaning a 3rd party seller but it was shipped by Amazon from an Amazon warehouse), contact Amazon directly about a return authorization and skip the seller.

If it was shipped to you by a 3rd party seller (seller is not Amazon and the item is not "fulfilled by Amazon), that's the worst case because the seller might say no to the return. If that happens you'll have to test the camera for orbs. If it has them, contact Amazon and ask them to require the seller to accept a return because the item is defective.

Whatever you do, don't accept an orb'ed or refurb, non-warrantied X10, advertised as "new" - that would be crazy.

OrvilleTheCat

I live in Germany and we have a 14-day return right. You do not even have to tell them your reasons. Problem is that I already charged the battery, so its basicly "used" and I think they wont repay all the money if they find out.

franco

I dont think that would matter if you discover orbs? Then its a faulty unit.

andyfromboston

I don't see that that would make a difference. You would have to charge the battery and test the camera to discover that it has an orb problem (if it does have an orb problem). I would be shocked if the return right were voided by testing the merchandise.

K1W1

Fuji Europe have been good about the sensor recall situation. Rather than taking the advice of armchair lawyers just go out and actually use the camera and if it has a problem get Fuji to fix it. It is a manufacturing defect after all.

The suggestion about resale value being degraded is complete hogwash and should be ignored.

OrvilleTheCat

Ok so tomorrow I will test my camera. What are the best settings to provoke orbs? Maybe going out in the dark with ISO 100 taking pictures of lightsources?

veejaycee

Ok so tomorrow I will test my camera. What are the best settings to provoke orbs? Maybe going out in the dark with ISO 100 taking pictures of lightsources?

Street lamps, car head lamps, spectral reflections from chrome or really shiny surfaces, sunlight on wavelets. Small and bright light sources generally.

Vic

andyfromboston

Of course resale value is degraded. Have you ever tried to resell one?

OrvilleTheCat

whiteorb2

whiteorb1

I hope they will refund all my money. Im a student and this is my first camera ever^^ I thought in mid 2013 they would send you the new x10s =(

Dennis

Well, not much to discuss here, right? I would go for the 14 days return right. Or if you can have the seller guarantee a replacement camera with serial number starting with 22 or higher it could be a solution. I don't know if Fujifilm is still doing sensor replacement, but your camera fulfils all requirements for having the procedure done (usually a 2-3 week thing) and they have been quite supportive. Or you might want to go for a second-hand one with a 22+ serial number (someone here might be selling, link)...

Again, the X10 is a very capable camera and you get a lot of value for your money by now - and support from this forum ;)

Keep us updated...

OrvilleTheCat

Got all my money back! I am now looking for a used one on ebay. Serial number "21G01310" has the new sensor?!

veejaycee

Fujifilm UK has refurb X10 at £250 - these are as-new and with new lens/sensor assembly fitted.

Vic

Dennis

I would go for 22+ or an older one with a documented sensor replacement done. And again, it might be that someone here would be interested in upgrading...

beachcaster

Just for info..I'm a bit late getting my X10 as the X20 is now out.......but oit arrived today 28.AUG. 2013 from amazon and the serial no starts with 24.

I assume this is good news :)

barry