Sign in to follow this  
reagan9000

Filter for X100S?

reagan9000

Hi - I'm new to owning a digital camera with controls and am really enjoying taking shots with my x100s. I would like to put a filter on the lens, to protect it from dust and dirt but I'm unclear about what exactly I need to buy.

I see that the B+W 49mm Slim UV comes recommended, however with the x100s do I also need to buy an adapter to fit it to the lens and if so, which one?

I tend to keep the lens cap on until I am ready to shoot. Will I lose that ability?

Finally, I own Fuji's leather case. Will the filter prevent me from closing it properly?

Thanks!

Welcome to the community!

You will need a lens adaptor ring. Fujifilm offers an official accessory sold by itself or bundled with the lens hood. Fortunately there are inexpensive clones of this product that can be found on eBay for around $10 or less: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_nkw=x100+lens+adaptor or Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Fuji-Finepix-Filter-Metal-Adapter/dp/B0059VMH5G/

With the lens adaptor ring and UV filter installed, you will not be able to use the stock Fujifilm lens cap. Additionally, the top half of your Fujifilm leather case will not fit well, but with a slimline filter you should be able to squeeze it over. Keep in mind that this also makes quick removal of the top case difficult.

shangri

Hi @reagan9000

I have the original Fujifilm leather case with the X100s too and unfortunately you can't close it properly with the adapter ring + filter on.

However, there is another solution, using the ring of a filter to substitute for the adapter ring and this works perfectly. Here is a description of it:

http://zackarias.com/for-photographers/gear-gadgets/fuji-x100-review/

Look for the "Accessories" section below the review

Enjoy your wonderful new camera!

Ludwig

You can then take a five-foot strip of gaffer's tape and tear off a long strip almost as wide as the two filters are thick (approx. 1/4" I imagine). Then wrap it around the rim of the filters and you will be able to use the cap that came with the x100s!

brickst3r

The JJC adapter and hood is really good, I think most go with that option. I too went with the b+w filter, and both pair up really nice. get the b+w xs-pro clear, it's pretty slim so it doesn't add too much to the length of the lens. Ludwig is right, the cap is a little loose if you don't have the tape.

Quoddy

A suggestion to those buying a filter. Without the hood the silver (I bought the B&W) goes really well with the camera. However, with the hood the silver looks strange among the remaining black interior of the hood. Because I leave the hood on, I ended up getting the black B&W clear "nano" filter. I know, OCD is a bitch.

Mahuna

i use the B+W 49mm XS-Pro Clear with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (007M) and the fuji lens cap still works just fine

PeterBN

Will the Adapter ring AR-X100 (or copy) work without the lens hood?

I'm going for the slim fit - as much as possible (I also need a step up ring) :)

Ludwig

I'm going for the slim fit - as much as possible (I also need a step up ring) :)

Absolutely. If you buy the lens hood, you get the adapter, so don't buy both.

PeterBN

Absolutely. If you buy the lens hood, you get the adapter, so don't buy both.

Thanks a lot. I think I will start with adapter ring (copy) and see how it works for me.

Dennis

@PeterBN you should really go for the adapter/hood combo (on eBay). Not much to be saved and the hood provides good mechanical protection when occasionally needed (just leave it in the bottom of your bag).

...and by the way; some great shots of Copenhagen and food stuff you got there on Flickr!

PeterBN

Thanks for the advice Dennis. I ended up buying both on eBay as the price is the same as you said.

Thanks for viewing my pictures on flickr. Most are shot with my (heavy) canon 5D :-)