Model holding X100S

pominpocket

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of inconsequential and downright bad photos posted on the forum, and some posters apparently actually expect people to comment (favorably?). It really does not matter what camera was used. Also there are a lot of fairly decent photos with subject "my new X100s in Xxxxx", and photos are so manipulated that, again, they could have been taken with any P&S. I really see no point, and try not to comment out of politeness. Still I feel those posts are a waste of everybody's time. Wheew.. now I got it out... And yes, I have the best cameras, have worked professionally for decades, have won national awards and earned maybe a million from photos and made 161 posts. So there!

Lean and pominpocket you're both wrong. Lean for being too harsh and pominpocket for firing back and assuming someone with 8 posts is not experienced. It's about as wrong as thinking that someone who has sold a photo for $600 is all knowing

;)

The issue I have with this photo - and consequently the entire thread, is that I'm just not seeing the purpose/meaning behind it. Now I'm the first to admit all photos don't have to be deep and meaningful BUT if you are going to post an out of focus, poorly composed, contrived snap which you concede was made in 2 minutes flat, I'm not sure what sort of response you're trying to elicit.

I don't think Lean was trolling, I simply think he was expressing his personal view and, despite me thinking it was harsh, he has a right to his opinion. If you are concerned about what people think, think twice about what you post. If you have no concern of what others think, post anything you like, but don't complain when you don't like what you hear

1000715_10201484286098171_1828286887_n.j

If I had an iPhone, and pressed the shutter button, how different https://www.facebook.com/groups/378545902249235/would it be from the one you took with your Fuji? Think about it bro. :)

This photo won a competition if you check the link above Shadows and light on the street.

It was this week. I thought I would post what I thought was a good photo. It would also be good if you took it with your iphone .

How is mother keeping these days bro?

The issue I have with this photo - and consequently the entire thread, is that I'm just not seeing the purpose/meaning behind it.

+!

If the OP had simply put one sentence in the first post something long the lines of "This is a quick pic of a girl holding my new toy" this whole thread would have passed with little or no controversy.

I suspect that the OP likes to court the sort of response he has got here for some reason he has form in that regard.

I really have to correct you there K1W1 I certainly do not like to court response like that.

I was looking for an interesting way to show of my new toy and thought the picture ok. It is in focus the eyes are sharp the back ground uncluttered . And you can see the X100s pretty clearly I thought .

Not surprised this thread has the got the response it has. If it was just a snap. Keep it to yourself. Nothing about it appeals, composition is just nonexistant. Not sure why you would post it really.

I really have to correct you there K1W1 I certainly do not like to court response like that.

I was looking for an interesting way to show of my new toy and thought the picture ok. It is in focus the eyes are sharp the back ground uncluttered . And you can see the X100s pretty clearly I thought .

There is only one shot on this entire thread that is sharp and in focus, and its not yours. The first shot is way out of focus, everywhere.

I've no idea what you're $600 selling images are like, but if they're like this then you're an amazing salesman.

I'm not purposefully being harsh, but there is no way to dress it up here, the shot is a snap, not a particularly good one. That's fine, there isn't anything wrong with that in itself but you can't claim it as "a model holding blah blah", it's a girl holding a camera alright but there is a world of a difference between that and employing an actual model to pose with a camera in a professionally composed and executed image. It baffles me how anyone could think otherwise. Not counting the lack of apparel, can you not see the difference between your snap and Mr Lovegroves image?

I don't understand all the vitriol against Pom in this thread. From most of his posts he seems like an enthusiastic photographer who likes to participate in what I thought was an arena for like minded people. If you don't like his work, say so, but ripping him seems to be overdoing it.

I like Pominpocket. He is a decent chap. What is with the 'standards police' approach. Let's just enjoy our X lives.

:)

I don't dislike him, from what I've read, and there is nothing wrong with enthusiasm, and I didn't want to "attack" him or belittle his efforts. However, be fair, a good picture is a good picture, and a bad one is bad. The idea of posting pictures on a forum is surely to show off your work. Pominpocket seems to be under the impression that this is a good picture, and it just isn't. If he carries on believing this he isn't going to want to improve. If the only comments he ever gets are "great shot" he's gooing to carry on believing what isn't true.

I like Pominpocket. He is a decent chap. What is with the 'standards police' approach. Let's just enjoy our X lives.

:)

I don't dislike him, from what I've read, and there is nothing wrong with enthusiasm, and I didn't want to "attack" him or belittle his efforts. However, be fair, a good picture is a good picture, and a bad one is bad. The idea of posting pictures on a forum is surely to show off your work. Pominpocket seems to be under the impression that this is a good picture, and it just isn't. If he carries on believing this he isn't going to want to improve. If the only comments he ever gets are "great shot" he's gooing to carry on believing what isn't true.

Maybe you should look at other photographs on this camera forum.

There are many below average shots in the threads, but they do not seem to get this kind of slating .

Maybe we should not be asking why I posted the shot but why is it out of focus? Yes in the first shot the girl is out of focus (I thought the camera was in but sure I am wrong). I took this with a XE1 and flash I think. Second shot ? This is not supposed to be a piece of photographic art. I tried to use a model albeit not in a professional way to show the camera rather than putting it on a table for instance. A nice new X100s My new toy as K1W1 says .

But if the forum only accepts top amazing show piece photography I will stop embarrassing myself by putting snap shots up here.

I can post all sorts of crap on flicker or face book and no body bats an eye lid in fact they like my stuff. I am being featured in Inspired Eye in the next week so feel free to hammer me there with your comments .

Not surprised this thread has the got the response it has. If it was just a snap. Keep it to yourself. Nothing about it appeals, composition is just nonexistant. Not sure why you would post it really.

Right on I will not post any more snaps on this forum .

There is only one shot on this entire thread that is sharp and in focus, and its not yours. The first shot is way out of focus, everywhere.

I've no idea what you're $600 selling images are like, but if they're like this then you're an amazing salesman.

I'm not purposefully being harsh, but there is no way to dress it up here, the shot is a snap, not a particularly good one. That's fine, there isn't anything wrong with that in itself but you can't claim it as "a model holding blah blah", it's a girl holding a camera alright but there is a world of a difference between that and employing an actual model to pose with a camera in a professionally composed and executed image. It baffles me how anyone could think otherwise. Not counting the lack of apparel, can you not see the difference between your snap and Mr Lovegroves image?

I would not even dream of trying to sell this kind of image and it certainly will not see light of day again here. I would take it down but it would render this thread and peoples time meaningless .

I sell photo montages of buildings and still life shots on the street.

I make these into stretch framed canvas prints .

I do not go out of my way to sell them but its steady with out the sales pitch .

Yes Damien is a great photographer and his shot on location is amazing.

I would not have posted my shot under his on a thread but I did start this thread with my bad snap and he stayed on topic !

I agree with what you are saying .

I am sure Mr Lean is a great photographer and it has nothing to do with how many posts he posted. I mentioned he had only posted 8 times in relation to his comment 'This guy pominpocket is singlehandedly dragging this forum down.

For all I know he has been reading this forum for years and them decided to leap out with his knife in one of his 8 posts .

Pom' don't take the criticism so badly. My posts weren't intended to cause offence and I don't think anyone elses were either. I've had my fair share of the same over the years. I once posted a photograph of my beautiful daughter I thought was amazing. It got ripped to shreds and I was quite upset. Then I read the criticism again and saw what people were telling me. I took it on the chin and instead of sulking I tried again. And again, until I cracked it. I still love that image because of the subject, but when looked at critically it is absolutely awful technically.

My advice to you initially would be to concentrate on sharpness, there are other things but for now that is something you can improve on easily and see almost instant results. Then work on your composition. I'm not deliberately being patronising here I'm just trying to help. I'd also say, why not post some of the images you sell? Show us what you can really do.

not a model, but still a girl holding a fuji x series!

8679777111_74951c8901_c.jpg

lets all just cool down this is the interwebz after all :)

oh and taken with the xpro + 35mm with canon 580ex off cam triggered with PW2

Not a model, an iPhone instead of an X100s, and not empyazing elbows -- but otherwise somewhat on topic. The 'model' has probably never heard of X series, rangefinders or James Dean. My first image publicly posted, so comments welcome. 2iqivkg.jpg

Pom' don't take the criticism so badly. My posts weren't intended to cause offence and I don't think anyone elses were either. I've had my fair share of the same over the years. I once posted a photograph of my beautiful daughter I thought was amazing. It got ripped to shreds and I was quite upset. Then I read the criticism again and saw what people were telling me. I took it on the chin and instead of sulking I tried again. And again, until I cracked it. I still love that image because of the subject, but when looked at critically it is absolutely awful technically.

My advice to you initially would be to concentrate on sharpness, there are other things but for now that is something you can improve on easily and see almost instant results. Then work on your composition. I'm not deliberately being patronising here I'm just trying to help. I'd also say, why not post some of the images you sell? Show us what you can really do.

I have no problem with your comments except I may have unwittingly made myself look like a novice and unskilled in photography.

I am self taught but have also done a fair few classes, courses in developing black and white, (I had my own darkroom in 3 separate houses) I have been around the world a few times and have volumes of travel photos. I have written for a few on line publications and had successful exhibitions and even newspaper articles written about me here in my Cambodian base.

So maybe never judge a book by its cover if my books cover is the simple snap above .

I also break a few rules and experiment all the time. I have a few shots of the girl holding the X100s and then went through all the pictures I have taken of her and I have some gems I am happy to say.

I will not post my Nikon work but you can click on the link above to Theme magazine and then also read my article about using an X10 on the street , and if you are not bored or disgusted by then read my Pics in the Penh blog (the X10 files) where you will find some good stuff and some average . I do not mind posting shots that are emotional for me but meaningless for others in some cases. On a blog that is .

I was only a bit miffed by the comments by lean . I am used to the character and tone of the others .

Pom/David

Please don't stop posting - as Damian said earlier up the thread "we like the freedom to post" and it is one of the things that makes this forum different to DPReview etc

[rant]

What I simply don't understand is why people feel the need to be downright rude. If you don't like something then by all means say so but do it nicely and hopefully constructively so that everyone can get something out of the discussion - rudeness and sarcasm have no place here. Call me old fashioned but that is my view.

[/rant]

And if any of you out their doubt Pom's ability as a photographer and artist then follow the links in his sig and think again.

Hi David

It was this sort of thing that I'd hoped to head off when I gave you my advice by PM some days ago.

My previous advice stands and has now been proved - a pro does not show second best or mediocre images because he/she will be judged by them - only show your best.

Self-critique is very important - you should be your own harshest critic.

If you or anyone else wants advice on fixing a particular image or how it might have been taken better - say so - then it's fine to post even what you know to be below your standard.

Speaking generally, if you or anyone else posts an "unsolicited" picture on this forum, you leave yourself open to both praise and critical comment and while I hope the comment will be kindly given, the poster of the picture has no choice but to accept what is said.

On the focus thing - have you considered divorcing the AF from the shutter button switching to manual and using the AE-L/AF-L button for focus so that the picture taking is a 2 stage operation? If not, try it and you may find that almost all your shots are sharply focused.

Having said that - both the 2nd "model" shot above and the street shot you took down were sharp after I did a little work on them in PS.

I think it's all been said and maybe Christopher will be kind and close this thread now and we can all begin anew.

Vic

Thanks Vic .

Yes, I was using that method of focusing with the XE1 before.

I think I have been a little spoiled with the 4 stop advantage with the zoom lenses on my Nikon and X10. The anti vibration I mean.

Yes I should be able to hand hold at low shutter speeds as you once suggested. Even at high ISO, steady hands, and a wide aperture I can experience blur or camera shake. Even with a flash and higher shutter speeds.

Do we need to close the thread ? It all seems to have calmed down now .

Until I post another picture that is !

Archived