Sign in to follow this  
Poppa-D

X10 Won't Go To 28mm/f2.0. :-(

Poppa-D

My darling little X10 is acting up and I don't know what is going on. As we all know, the lens has a variable aperture (meaning the widest aperture at 28mm is 2.0 and then it gets smaller as you go to the longer end of the focal length). Well, I noticed I can only get f/2.2 and started to fiddle with the camera and its settings. I then discovered it no longer will shoot panoramas - the camera advises me to go to the widest focal length in order to shoot a panorama - which of course it is. So the combination of these two factors make me think the camera no longer recognizes the 18mm focal length.

What in the world is going on with this? And since my camera is over a year old I am out of warranty. :-( Or am I? So second question is I had the X10 replaced in September due to orbs. So does the replacement camera also come with a one year warranty or is it based on the original purchase date?

K1W1_Mk2

I have noticed with my X10 that sometimes when I think it is at f2 the Exif shows f2.2 on the final photo. Over the last nearly two years since I purchased the X10 I have come to the conclusion that Fuji play a little fast and loose with accepted photographic norms. It no longer worries me I just go with the flow and as long as the end picture is what I want or imagined do some numbers almost nobody will ever look at really matter?

Poppa-D

You raise a good point about whether it really matters about the numbers. And the fact is 1/3 stop loss isn't much at all. That being said, however, I also can no longer use the panorama feature because of this issue . . .

K1W1_Mk2

For panoramas make sure that you lens is hard against the wide setting. I have found that if mine is even a fraction off wide it will not take panos.

Poppa-D

@K1W1_Mk2 Thanks for the suggestion. I have indeed tried that - I twisted it slowly and very firmly to the point of going past the click to turn it off - all to no avail. And if you look at the LCD while zooming it shows a bar on the top of the screen visually indicating where in the zoom range you are and that even stops short of going to the far left when I zoom all the way out.

By the way, what's up with your new handle? :-)

Poppa-D

And truth be told, if I am going to do a panorama, I am going to shoot it manually and stitch it later. Both the f/2.0 and the panorama are really matters of principle. This dang little camera SHOULD work correctly.

K1W1_Mk2

I got sick of continually having to log in through Google and created a direct log in account. Should have done it 18 months ago.

Maybe the X10 has a faulty connection somewhere that means its not registering when the lens is in the full wide setting. It could even be a small amount of dirt or something I guess.

One option you could try would be to contact Fuji and tell them that it has never taken panos since the lens was replaced for orbs and ask if they will check the installation at no charge for you. Also mention the f2.2 issue. Who knows it might work.

K1W1_Mk2

Didn't somebody who is supposed to be important once say that truth is better than fiction or something similar. :D

joeradza

Or, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

richheath

The good news is that you can still use most of the panorama modes, as they can be used at any focal length. The only one that required the very widest setting is the 360 degree circular one. Set the camera to Adv. and press the down arrow to choose from the other panorama modes.

Poppa-D

I'd like to rekindle this conversation because in addition to what I already mentioned above, I learned that I also cannot use super macro mode in light of this problem.

Anyone know anything about this? I kinda want to send it back to Fuji but I bet it will cost $150 to fix and that is a lot for a 3 year old camera.

Anybody?

K1W1_Mk2

I am sure that super macro only works on my X10 at the widest lens setting so if you can't use the widest setting then I guess it follows that super macro will not work.

Poppa-D

@K1W1_Mk2 Yup - hence my comment "cannot use super macro in light of this problem. :-D