If the Fuji X100S battery life so terrible?

Salcap

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the feature is called High Performance? Mine was set to on and that may have been a default. I don't remember turning it on!!

"HIGH PERFORMANCE

Select ON for faster focus and to reduce the time needed to restart the camera after it has been turned off."

I did! I'm about 10 shots into this battery so I should get a good count. I write the battery name on a 3x5 card and take a picture of it before I install it into the camera.

• 2 weeks later...

Going thru 3 -4 batteries (1fuji, 3 off brand) per day here in India with the 100s for the past 3 weeks. What a camera! I have a d7000 as backup but could have left it home. As long as you spend your down time(nights) charging and are careful on long day shoots you are fine. I try to switch batteries as soon as it goes red. Then I can always get 2-5 shots out of a nearly dead battery. A good back up plan. Have been averaging 200+ per battery's until last couple days where a couple of my batteries are getting around 100 shots. I have 5 weeks more to go so will keep better track of which batteries and shot average and give an update later.

My last two month journey was in China in 2008 with a Fuji 690 and 200 rolls of film. Security scans at every transport site! Yes, I don't mind these little batteries!

Steve Coates

If the number of shots per battery has dropped and you have not chnaged the way you use the camera the issue could be the charger. X100s chargers appear to be somewhat problematic with variable QC.

Today I ran out of charge on the Wasabi battery I charged in the Wasabi charger. This time I got 101 shots out of it, about double my best. (see my January 13 posts above). While an improvement, still not what I'd like out of them! Today I inserted the original Fuji battery that had been charged in the Fuji charger. Will report back on any improvements using this combo.

Now over 5 weeks into India trip, battery life is holding on average at 200, a little less with cheapest battery but having trouble keeping track, sorry.

Camera still working perfect except on/off switch stiff when closing.

Still low battery life in sub zero(f) temperatures. Yep, I have extra batteries but sub zero, winds of 15-45mph, blowing snow coupled with gloves or mittens make changing the batteries a pain in the butt.

The camera is very nice. Images are very good. I find myself going on the ice and snow with the 1DsMkiii more now than the Fuji. Main reason is not having to open up anything in the wind and cold. In these cold conditions the 1DsMkiii gets over 2000 shots before getting tired enough to switch to the next battery.

Shooting snowmobiles and ice sports it is nice to have the longer lasting battery. Bigger and heavier camera but that is the trade off I guess.

Fuji make DC couplers for the x series cameras. It would not be overly difficult to rig up a system with a larger external battery pack and the DC coupler to provide power. Obviously the battery would have to be carried on a belt or in a pocket or pack of some sort and there would be a cord running from the camera to the battery but it would give the user a greatly increased battery capacity.

Archived