If the Fuji X100S battery life so terrible?

Salcap

Hi All,

I got a brand new X100S (after my first two X100 both with SAB issue) since a couple of months now and I see the battery life performance going worst instead of improving! Despite I have three original Fuji batteries and 4 non original, I still get no more than 200 shots with a charge. Do you see the same problem? Please share your data and thoughts. thanks.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the good old days, we got 24 or 36 shots (with 35mm) before we had to open the back of our camera up. Is 200 shots before we have to open a little hatch and slot in a fresh battery so bad?

I used to get horrible battery life from my Leica V-LUX 20 until I realized that leaving the GPS feature on all the time was draining the battery. Also, if you should have an Eye-Fi memory card in your camera that will drain your battery maintaining a wi-fi connection all the time.

I hear complaints about battery performance all the time. On routine photo safaris I might shoot as many as 150 shots and I always carry a freshly charged spare battery as well as spare SD memory cards. I shoot in RAW with a 16MP D7000 most of the time and only once exceeded the 350 shot 8Gig card. Of course the D7000 has two memory card slots so I didn't miss a beat.

I don't know how well-established it is, but someone advised me that the OVF uses more power than the EVF, but this is hard to quantify. I think most of us carry a spare just in case and bring two when we know we're going to be burning through exposures.

Certainly shooting larger files and hitting the SD card more will use more power (and I suspect faster cards are better at this), using autofocus frequently will drain power quickly, etc. There was one very busy day on my last trip where I was using quite a bit of fill flash that had me hitting the third battery but even with a few batteries I'm happy to carry the X100s over any other camera I've ever owned.

The EVF is responsible for the overlays in the OVF. Compared to an equivalent amount of film, a battery takes up little space and is reusable. I find 300 shots more common with my way of working.

The battery is physically very small so it will last a small time that is all there is to it there is no magic formula. The batteries alone in my DSLR weigh considerably more than my complete X100s with battery installed and they last much longer but I have to carry all that weight all the time.

Having to change a battery from time to time does not inconvenience me with the caveat that I would prefer if the meter was a little more accurate.

Yeah I understand the OVF still has electronic elements, but Id have thought as theyre not powering the whole screen it uses less power. Probably minimal difference, granted.

The story about the OVF consuming more power than the EVF seems widespread on forums but I have never once seen anybody present any evidence as to power consumption measurements or even a legitimate technical argument as to why it should be so. All I see are people repeating what they have read somewhere else and stating it as fact.

As far as I'm concerned this is simply another Internet myth until somebody can produce a technical explanation with facts and figures to prove that it is correct.

Hi All,

thanks for your interesting feedback. I do agree the camera itself is absolutely great and love it despite the battery life seems to be really lower than expected. However, I wanted to check with you guys if my perception (with some support data, no more than 200 shots per charge) of low battery life is correct or not. If not and you have a different feeling (i.e. more than 200-300 shots per charge) than I have probably got a problem with my camera which needs Fuji technical support investigation. Therefore, would you please share your shooting style with associated number of shots per charge? This data is what I am looking for. Thanks.

How much battery life anybody gets depends 100% on how they use the camera. My experience is probably closer to 300 shots than 200 but I don't keep count. I can see how I could easily reduce the shot count per charge by chimping more and leaving the LCD display on longer or by transferring images from the camera to a computer via a USB cable attached to the camera or by shooting video or turning the brightness of the screens up.

You said in the first post that your camera is brand new. Do you realise that it takes at least 3 charge / discharge cycles for a LiIon battery to reach it's full potential?

Do you leave your battery in the charger even after the light goes out and let the battery cool or do you remove it instantly the light goes out and put it back into the camera?

There are so many variables that no tow camera owners will get the same number of shots per charge and no owner will get the same number of shots each time thay charge their battery.

Why does it matter? Buy enough batteries to get you through a day of shooting. They are rechargeable for probably longer than you keep the camera.

If you need more than a couple batteries, you are probably not thinking about the images you are capturing, hoping that out of an enormous number of random shots, something will make you famous. While the X-cameras are perfectly capable of doing sports photography, that is not their design purpose. Even shooting sports does not require thousands of shots unless you are contracted to Sports Illustrated. This hockey game with the X-Pro1 only required 185 exposures, well within one battery. I had a real problem editing them down to the final gallery. While some lacked drama, all were keepers.

Hockey with the X-Pro1

On the street or chronicling the lives of friends, battery life is never a problem. Where an enormous number of shots is anticipated, along with GPS data and lens coverage from 8° to 114°, I use the D700. Not a pleasant tool to use, though it does the job under these circumstances. If battery life is the issue, go for a heavy, noisy, obtrusive, but ultimately versatile tool. In design philosophy, it is the diametric opposite of the X-Pro1—thus the cameras are complimentary. However, the X-Pro1 does most of the heavy lifting now.

If a nearly invisible camera that allows one to carefully select reality and capture it without intruding on it is the goal, you will rarely need more than one battery in the camera and one in the pocket.

A long day of shooting on a single battery—Canada Day 2013

Choose the best tool to empower your photographic goals. Pro-level cameras are clearly focused upon a range of tasks. Do not pick the wrong one and try to force it to do what it was not designed to do. It will fight you all the way.

Back in the good old days, we got 24 or 36 shots (with 35mm) before we had to open the back of our camera up. Is 200 shots before we have to open a little hatch and slot in a fresh battery so bad?

Yes. This isn't about changing film, it's digital photography. The batteries aint cheap and the batteries that power my Nikon F80 film camera last, well, years. To the OP, I got about 250 shots from a day shooting the other day on my X100 using OVF and no rear LCD.

No it isnt, well done for letting me know that!

I was making a point, swapping a battery isn't so different from swapping a film cartridge. You want a retro styled camera, well you've got one. 200 shots is a lot better than what we used to get so be happy. As good as Fuji are they can't do miracles.

If we are comparing digital v film I had a Pentax SLR that had a battery and it lasted about 2 rolls of film. The battery was not rechargeable and in the early 1980s ridiculously expensive probably almost as much as an OEM Fuji battery is today.

Well it wasn't my intention I was just making the point that it's not so difficult to swap a battery, 200+ shots isn't so bad either.

Also, I bought two non genuine batteries for £5.00 each and they're just as good as the genuine one.

Well it wasn't my intention I was just making the point that it's not so difficult to swap a battery, 200+ shots isn't so bad either.

Also, I bought two non genuine batteries for £5.00 each and they're just as good as the genuine one.

I didn't mean to sound inflammatory, so sorry if it came across that way (just re-read and i do understand why). My 'yes' was really meant to qualify what you originally said, i.e 'I know what you mean' followed by a bit of a 'however'...

• 4 months later...

Some people love to complain, and this battery "issue" is an example. There's nothing here. 200-250 shots per fresh battery is a ridiculously high amount of shots, given battery size and the array of electronic functions in the X100S. It is what it is.

Hello AndreOP,

I had exactly the same problem a few months ago. I got in touch with the Italian Fuji's rep who sent the camera for repair to Fuji UK (I believe). The camera returned back finally working fine. They repaired something but do not know what exactly. Do a test: If you have the "high performance mode" ON just turn it off and see if the battery would not drain overnight if camera is OFF. Ciao.

Archived