Full frame X100

damienlovegrove

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of Microsoft, theyre a little better now but back in the old days of tablets, before Apple showed the way - when MS released Excel for tablets, the guy in charge of Office personally hated tablets so much he purposefully made it a pain to use Excel on tablets. THis is where a management system like Apple's (Certainly under Jobs) is so much better when one person dictates what happens and you can pretty much ensure a good degree of cohesion between the products.

@Larry - Nicely put, interesting read!

What you hit re the Fujinon lenses is a good point. In my mind one of, if not 'the' strong point of the x-series is the quality glass. Perhaps Fuji are playing catchup in the mid/high-end consumer market, but in all, I think they're doing a good job.

It certainly doesn't hurt to have a visionary as the person dictating what happens. You could also call them a dictator

:)

I think quite often in business a dictator at the top stops design by commitee syndrome which MS particularly can suffer from and Sony's commitee all seem to be in different buildings :\

Woah Larry...a good history and i agree with most of your stuff with regards to the sensor size. Yes. I still feel APS-C is not dead end yet. Canon and Nikon tried to by introducing Prosumer level FF cameras but there is still a lot to offer for the DX/APS-C sensors. Why they do that is because for just 1/3 area more on the sensor they can sell a couple of thousands more per camera. What's not to like?

So I respect Fujifilm for doing what they did for the past 3 years. To push the envelope when there is a way for them to do so economically. Generally I am happy they brought back the RF style of controlling the camera for the common people.

If the X100 gets another firmware upgrade, then the money on X100 is really well spent.

Sony is several self-contained entities that operate as independent business units.

ANd you can tell too, absolutely NO cohesion between the sectors. IMHO its one of the weakest aspects of Sony

Agreed, especially when it comes to Sony Japan versus Sony USA. Their operational synergies are very much up in the air, really. They had several business units going off in different directions with their removable storage products (Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Pro Duo on portable media players, gaming devices, cameras, desktop computers) and used it as a pivot to wreck a great product (sorry I really loved MiniDisc) and replace it with dozens of gizmos that had way too much competition from people doing it better.

Sony had such a great brand with Walkman. Try brought put minidisc which if you could have just copied data on to or they had leveraged as floppy disc replacements would have done them a great deal of good.

But no. They had the shitty atrac files. You had to real time cd to disc copy music and because Sony is also a record label and they can't see past their noses they took years to allow mp3 on them.

So Apple took that candy from them.

OT at this point but relevant to the Sony discussion:

Sony Rejects Loeb Proposal for Splitting Off Entertainment Unit:

Sony’s chief executive, Kazuo Hirai, wrote in Monday’s letter that the company had considered Mr. Loeb’s proposal of spinning off part of the entertainment unit to the public markets. But Mr. Hirai wrote that after consulting with its financial advisers, Sony believed that owning all of the business would let it better mesh with its core electronics operations, without the legal encumbrances a partial spinoff would entail.

@-)

Any time those jackwagons want to actually start "better meshing" with the core electronics operations is fine with us, I'm sure. ~X(

• 2 weeks later...

@OP, I would be interested in a FF Fuji X Pro 2 but not a fixed lens model. I don't need or care for 24mp, 16 would fine. It would interesting to see how clean ISO would be with 16mp FF larger photodiodes compared to the clean ISO3200 of X100s.

50mm full frame equivalent, 35mm crop, the depth of filed on that lens is more than enough for general use, I would also like for the back LCD to be removed! Just a lens stuck to the sensor and a hybrid viewfinder like the x-100... Just dreaming out loud!

Archived