Sign in to follow this  
mcartwright

X20 battery indicator

mcartwright

It seems that the battery indicator on my X20 is useless. It will say full battery for hours, then it seems that within the span of a couple of minutes, it drains to nothing. Has any else experienced this? I'm pretty sure I've noticed this with both the factory battery and a 3rd party one.

K1W1_Mk2

It's a Fuji feature and why most Fuji owners carry spare batteries at all times.

bill2reg

It was like that even way back to my old S602Z. Full>Red for a few seconds then DEAD. Actually though. I've noticed that my X-S1 is much better at displaying battery level. It will show partial (1 or 2 white segments) for quite a long time before it goes red then dead.

sweeze

X100s owners have the same experience, it's a drag for sure. Fortunately batteries are small and inexpensive! File a bug report with Fuji if it's important to you, they can likely resolve this in firmware.

If you'd like some inspiration, this is the request I sent for the X100s technical support team at Fujifilm USA:

Enhancement Request for X100s firmware:

Please consider adding better battery life reporting in a future firmware release. Presently I (and other users I've talked to) experience a very inaccurate battery indicator that shows a battery as fully charged up until there are only a handful of exposures remaining.

This leads the user to believe that they have sufficient battery life, and very quickly changes to empty and losing power on the device without appropriate warning.

I suggest switching the behavior to showing a full indicator for 100% to %51 capacity, and changing to the second indicator of "half full" at 50% to 20% capacity, and showing the empty red indicator from 19% to power cut-off.

beemerboy

This battery business is truly confusing. The one that came with the camera says"Made in China". The battery I bought from Amazon, claimed to be OEM says"Cell made in Japan, pack assembled in China" The "original has an orange side, whereas the one from Amazon is bright yellow. Both seem to hold charge equally well. Does anyone know which is truly a genuine Fuji battery?

K1W1_Mk2

Fuji don't make batteries. Period.

Every battery inside a Fuji camera is made by a third party manufacturer and branded with Fujis labeling as per the terms of their manufacturing agreement so it's highly likely that batteries come from different actual manufacturers depending on which battery manufacturer holds they current contract, it's also quite possible that batteries are made by several different companies for Fuji at the same time.

Who cares really?

Raglan

I've had my X20 for a week and decided to use it for a while before deciding whether a spare battery is needed. I would say at this stage that the answer will be yes. No so much because of the relatively short battery life, but because of the poor reporting, as mentioned above. The other reason is that spare batts are so cheap.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tianfen-1PCS-FNP-50-FNP-50-Camera-Rechargeable-Battery-for-FUJIFILM-FUJI-FinePix-X10-X20-XF1/1752039757.html

philiphurst

I use my X20 primarily when travelling. After experiencing the battery indicator behaviours discussed here, I have taken to travelling with two spare charged batteries: they are small and light. But battery life is a disappointing feature of the X20, especially if one is using some of the in-camera processing features, such Pro Low Light. It very useful in situations where one doesn't want to, or can't, use flash but it does eat up battery charge. Likewise bracketing or panorama or movies. Hence I always try to be ready to swap batteries as soon as the indicator drops to two bars, since I know that with a few more frames the camera will cease to function for want of power.

timo

Mine behaves in exactly the same way. Effectively no warning of a depleted battery (actually AF does become slightly sluggish before the meter shows anything). I carry three spares around. I can't detect any difference in performance between the original hatters and the three knock-off ones I bought much more cheaply.