Sign in to follow this  
ianHphoto

X100 firmware update coming?

steve1401

If, and it's a big IF, there is a X100 update, my guess is there will still be disgruntled posts. Something will be missing, or made worse, or something. My only ask is to sort out the stupid shutter dance which causes a kind-of-lag...

flysurfer

I am looking forward to the firmware update and expect it in early September.

artuk

If, and it's a big IF, there is a X100 update, my guess is there will still be disgruntled posts. Something will be missing, or made worse, or something. My only ask is to sort out the stupid shutter dance which causes a kind-of-lag...

I don't think aperture dance will ever be fixed - the other X cameras seem to still suffer from it. Rico (flysurfer) claims there is some functional reason for it, but when I asked him if it was his opinion or he knew the camera's design was the limitation, he didn't answer.

PhoTom

I expect there will be some issues too, but still grateful and expect Fuji to sort out any bugs introduced with another FW release.

PhoTom

FWIW, Flysurfer Rico, commented yesterday that he was looking forward to the X100 FW update in early September.

yamaha83

i hope im wrong, but i dont think it will come either... it is really frustrating that every other X camera has gotten more updates then the X camera that started it all...

Until now, I thought I knew all X series cameras, but it appears that I do not, because I don't know many that got more firmware updates than the classic X100. Actually, I only know a single one: the X-Pro1. So what "every other X cameras" are you referring to?

I'm referring to the XPRO and X10 that both got 2.0 updates that added numerous features and not just improvements/bug fixes. Every X camera has gotten released with the Q menu or gotten an update to add the Q menu except for the X100. i guess i shouldn't have said all other x camera have gotten more updates and should have said all other x cameras have gotten more upgrades.

Dennis

...the XPRO and X10 that both got 2.0 updates that added numerous features and not just improvements/bug fixes. Every X camera has gotten released with the Q menu or gotten an update to add the Q menu except for the X100...

Good logic and I hope you are right. But then again again, X100 is the only X series camera that is labelled FinePix - not that it should make any difference to giving the firmware another tweak...

flysurfer

The XP1 2.0 update did not add one single feature that I am aware of. Just improvements and bug fixes that brought the camera on par with version 1.0 of the X-E1.

Oh, and the X10 did not get half as many updates than the X100, so I am still at a complete loss.

veejaycee

As Flysurfer says, all the XP1 got before the latest 2 (excellent), updates were incremental bug fixes which were hardly noticeable and updates to the functionality of body/lens as the lenses were introduced. The latter may have given the impression of multiple updates I guess. Also, the XP1 was introduced with a Q button whilst the X100 needs to have one or more of the existing buttons allotted to a Q menu because they can't fit a new button with firmware. :-)

I think Fuji are doing well with updates for the X100 considering how long it's been on the market and that it has been superseded but I hope you X100 users get worthwhile improvements with this latest update. BTW, about 6 weeks ago Nikon advised me of a new firmware update for my D700!

Vic

steve1401

I don't think aperture dance will ever be fixed - the other X cameras seem to still suffer from it. Rico (flysurfer) claims there is some functional reason for it, but when I asked him if it was his opinion or he knew the camera's design was the limitation, he didn't answer.

Maybe so. My XP1 has FAR less of a problem with it though and seems to fire pretty instantaneously, whatever the conditions. I've read up on this ages ago and get the reasons why it does it, I was just hoping it could do it better..??

It is likely restricted by hardware though, dunno. I would like it to be able to set the focus/exposure manually, forget about the LCD and all that jazz as I don't use it and just fire when I press the button. Thing is, my requirements are probably pretty unique and don't fit into the usage habits of the majority, which I accept.

steve1401

I know, a 'bare bones' mode:

No rear LCD, no live view, no EVF. Just some exposure guide and info on what you have set (shutter speed, apterutre ISO etc) in the OVF. If you set the exposure manually, just let that light through to the sensor, if it's wrong, it's human error.

mattmaber

Yes I like that idea.

I saw the Leica has two little arrows which face each other that go semi transparent or solid depending if you're half a stop or a full stop under or over exposed.

artuk

Maybe so. My XP1 has FAR less of a problem with it though and seems to fire pretty instantaneously, whatever the conditions. I've read up on this ages ago and get the reasons why it does it, I was just hoping it could do it better..??

In the required conditions, the X Pro most definitely suffers from the problem, making it very difficult to capture the "decisive moment", particularly moving things. It is one of a number of issues the camera has that Fuji still has not fixed, in spite of any number of firmware updates.

artuk

Yes I like that idea.

I saw the Leica has two little arrows which face each other that go semi transparent or solid depending if you're half a stop or a full stop under or over exposed.

In manual mode the X cameras the "exposure scale" on the left shows the current set exposure against the current scene and metering mode.

mattmaber

yeah I get that, but the arrow seems easier maybe. Hmm.

gafer

So much for the "end of August" date for an firmware update. Another internet hoax.

PhoTom

So much for the "end of August" date for an firmware update. Another internet hoax.

Wait another week or two. A Fuji semi-insider who posts on this and other forums updated his expectations for an update to early September.

mattmaber

yeah id hardly expect anything like this to be released the moment the month turns. seesh

flysurfer

The update is still in the making with no official release date, so I don't think that the ongoing speculation will lead to any insights.