Sign in to follow this  
ianHphoto

X100 firmware update coming?

PhoTom

I wonder if it will be released in a few hours from now, or 24+ hours from now? I've really been looking forward to this release. :-B

Just found this on another forum and it casts a dark cloud over a Sept 10 release:

Dated Sept 5

User: According to a French site it will be available to download 10th September.

Flysurfer: It won't.

User: Rico: Why won't it?

Flysurfer: Why should it? There's no announcement, so let's wait and see. 10SEP is very unlikely.

Flysurfer: ...I'd rather have it happen a few days/weeks later than "enjoying" buggy firmware on 10SEP.

I thought there was a press release from Fujifilm US, but it seems it may have been redacted? Hmm...

K1W1_Mk2

...however, the Olympus message is more about "discontinuation" (of Four-Thirds), where the Fujifilm is about “continuation” (support of the X100).

Not sure where the discontinuation message comes from. It seemed more like expansion into the semi pro and pro environment to me.

BTW its 17.30 10 September 2013 here and no announcement. :D

Dennis

Clarification on my "discontinuation" comment: Among Olympus E-5 (and SLR) enthusiast todays Olympus announcement is by some seen as a discontinuation of Olympus Four-Thirds SLR bodies and likely also native Four-Thirds lenses.

Facing the challenge with two product lines, Olympus has chosen a way forward based on Micro Four-Thirds that will hopefully satisfy both existing Four-Thirds owners (lens compatibility trough adapter) and the Micro Four-Thirds market. And I agree, this is indeed an expansion into semi-pro and pro for Micro Four-Thirds, and the OM-D E-M1 seems to be a great camera. Anyway, this might belong in an entirely different forum...

Here it is 10:07 AM 10 September 2013 and no news - usually the firmware update show during office hours somewhere in US, right?

secondintime

There has not been a single official announcement about the firmware update from fuji, anywhere, only fujirumours, which by its very name should suggest something, looking very unlikely. It's a shame fuji don't get their finger out and tell customers either way, they know what is floating about.

yamaha83

glad i didn't hold my breath... lets all wait for the next rumored date so we can talk about what we would like to see in the update... then watch that new date float by us again... lol

Captmcl1

Did you really think this was going to happen? Fuji would have to be marketing imbeciles to make your X100 a mini X100s. Who would ever upgrade if they were so close.

adam

This constant round of speculation is getting somewhat tiring. Fujifilm , if the are aware of this on going debate should really give a definitive yes or no. And then we can draw line under this on going saga.

artuk

This constant round of speculation is getting somewhat tiring. Fujifilm , if the are aware of this on going debate should really give a definitive yes or no. And then we can draw line under this on going saga.

A definitive "Yes" or "No" to something they have never made any press release about in the first place?

K1W1_Mk2

Did you really think this was going to happen? Fuji would have to be marketing imbeciles to make your X100 a mini X100s. Who would ever upgrade if they were so close.

That is essentially my take but this speculation has gone on way too long with too many in the know people dropping hints and posts of things like facebook sites for it not to have an element of truth. I think that if there was no basis to this particular rumour Fuji would (should?) have knocked it on the head by now which leaves me with the conclusion that in your words they must be "marketing imbeciles" I can't think of any other explanation.

Rico (@flysurfer) has been hinting that they found a show-stopping bug and simply pushed back the announcement and release date. If anyone knows for sure, it's him. The update is coming, it was just delayed.

K1W1_Mk2

Fujis history of releasing successful updates is after all somewhat chequered so it's good to see that they are taking some time about this one but it's still crazy that they are even releasing it in the first place.

johnwillyums

Would I be being cynical if I were to suggest that Fuji are holding it back until the OM-D E-M1 is off the front page? They will want to make a splash.

People are saying that this is crazy marketing, as it will stall some people from upgrading to a X100s. I think it might have that effect, but they'll get an XPro-1/XE-1 instead:)

I think Fuji are playing a long game. If this update does materialise, and is as good as the rumour's suggest, then that sends a strong message to the photographic community. It says "we make serious tools, not things that need replacing every year", that kind of attitude builds a cult like support, and increases people's likeliness to buy into the pro end of the series, and the great glass.

Bring it on (hopefully;)

K1W1_Mk2

People are saying that this is crazy marketing, as it will stall some people from upgrading to a X100s. I think it might have that effect, but they'll get an XPro-1/XE-1 instead:)

I think Fuji are playing a long game. If this update does materialise, and is as good as the rumour's suggest, then that sends a strong message to the photographic community. It says "we make serious tools, not things that need replacing every year",

So when buyers obtain a Fuji X body and their average 2.3 or whatever lenses per body and they expect that Fuji will provide updates for quite some time even after the body has been replaced how exactly do Fuji make any money?

Think of it this way. This update sends a message to all X series owners that they do not have to rush out and buy the next model because Fuji will continue to support you indefinitely. That is a really strange message for a major Japanese consumer goods manufacturing company to be sending to the market.

If you owned an X-E1 or XPro-1 today you would be quite right in expecting that Fuji will continue to release firmware updates after the X-E2 or XPro-2 are released so why on earth would you upgrade? What will Fuji do with the unsold X-E2 and XPro-2 bodies sitting on resellers shelves? What will the resellers do when they can't move the stock?

flysurfer

LOL! Fuji simply needs to turn out new cameras that are attractive to those who already own a Fuji camera AND to those who don't.

Fuji has most to win by attracting NEW customers who would otherwise buy Sony, Canikon, Olympus or Panasonic. They need to expand their customer base and get out of their niche.

And yes, keeping existing customers happy makes sense, so they stay with the system and buy more lenses. Fuji would rather sell a lens for 900 dollars to a happy X-E1 user than a new camera for 900 dollars, the profit margin on the lens is simply higher.

Keeing customers happy and loyal isn't the worst strategy to become profitable, and you never know, the day may come when Fuji's digital camera division writes a profit. Never give up! ;)

jac

Brilliant strategy by Fuji. Doing something none of the other players are doing. That's being different, and Fuji users will stay loyal and make others think about adopting the Fuji X system.

mattmaber

A definitive "Yes" or "No" to something they have never made any press release about in the first place?

YEah FUji are under no obligation to deny or confirm rumours they never released info on. Under any circumstances.

Keep schtum and release it when its ready .. or not.

adam

Loyalty in my opinion has nothing to do with it. If I were to locate another brand of camera which I thought produced better image quality and usability at a more competitive price , I would surely jump ship. Manaufacturers are in the business to make profit.

flysurfer

Brand loyalty is a very important aspect for the success or failure of every brand.

artuk

Brand loyalty is a very important aspect for the success or failure of every brand.

Brand loyalty and perception, I think.

Loyalty keeps customers. Perception brings new customers, I think.

Apple didn't make a lot of money only selling phones to people who had one before, but also selling them to people who perceived the products and brand had a value in line with a premium price. Same for Leica probably. They are just examples.

steve1401

Perception IS the brand; quality breads loyalty; loyalty spreads to 'fanboyism'. Then you get a whole new subset of loyalty; an obsession if you will.

Apple have mastered this. The Apple fanboys would buy an iTurd and convince their best friend that they NEED to get one...

I have an iMac. I spent good money on it knowing it was quality and better than the rest (for my needs - subjective I know), but I'm not a fan of the iPhone, I think they are the goto product that has sussed the market and made so successful because of the fanboys self marketing machine...

Fuji: well they DO have quality product, and they are BUILDING customer loyalty, but, imo, they haven't transcended this yet. I'm not sure a camera manufacturer ever will. So, releasing updates to a relatively small customer base for older products like the X100 will greatly help maintain the loyalty aspect.

Also, they are gaining a reputation for listening to their customers via forums just like this one - just look at the videos they release on YouTube, they're always banging on about it. That is one unique selling point that I don't think any other manufacturer offers, good on you Fuji!

mattmaber

Apple have mastered this. The Apple fanboys would buy an iTurd and convince their best friend that they NEED to get one...

...but I'm not a fan of the iPhone, I think they are the goto product that has sussed the market and made so successful because of the fanboys self marketing machine...

were gonna have to differ on this. Itd mean A LOT of people drinking apple cool aid to do what you suggest.

No, they simply got first to market with a compelling useable smartphone and it was what people had been clamouring for ages but putting up with windows mobile and various ericsson incarnations. People liked it and many stuck with the brand because it works for them.

Equally, many people like Android and some even like the Nokia/MS (cant imagine why after my free 2 weeks woth one).

your iturd comment is frankly irrational and smacks of an even odder reverse-fanboyism. Just let people liek what they like and get on with your own life.