Sign in to follow this  
gryphon1911

Great Photographers to Check Out - Past and Present

pcg

Any list of, well, of anything, is invariably a product of opinion. What one person loves another avoids, or despises, or views condescendingly.

I give @gryphon1911 great credit for attempting this. We can all chime in with our "opinions." That's all we can ultimately offer. But he's the arbitrator. And more power to him!

pcg

With many of his opinions of the photographers-to-avoid he lists being inexcusably negative, as opinions. Form your own judgments based on viewing numerous photos. Don't put any weight in articles like this one, that is, unless you agree.

K1W1_Mk2

The overall message I got from it was not to slavishly try to emulate others simply because they are regarded as significant or great.

veejaycee

The overall message I got from it was not to slavishly try to emulate others simply because they are regarded as significant or great.

+1

pcg

"Great" photographers become great by consensus. There's never universal acclamation. Most lists include Ansel Adams; I happen to think he's wildly over-rated. Most lists include HCB; he, like all of us, took many so-so shots. Yet his seminal shots were revelations at the time. So there are nuances to all of this. And there are critics who attack some popular photogs, and others who fight to maintain the same photogs on these 'best' of best lists.

I think a comprehensive list here makes sense. Anyone can then make their own decisions, if they find it important to designate someone as particularly good. The OP though must ultimately decide, if he keeps this going, who is included or excluded.

veejaycee

I've come to the conclusion that some people go looking for offence.

I meant nothing by posting this. I even put a smiley face there.

I agree with kiwi that if anything is to be taken from it, it is to look at all the work of the photographers on the list and get some inspiration from them but not to slavishly copy them.

K1W1_Mk2

I've come to the conclusion that some people go looking for offence.

+1

Once again thanks for posting the interesting and thought provoking link.

pcg

+1 as well.

Thnx for the link. Gotta love anyone who's outside the usual mainstream opinions.

Owtafocus

How about accomplished members of this community that have been published, have had numerous gallery exhibitions, and websites? Like me, for example, and others I'd get to know.

mattmaber

+1

Yep, I found it entertaining, if you can take it as satire. If you're have too serious a head on then too bad for you ;)

pcg

I for one fell into the "too serious" category. Clearly succeeds as satire. Although, as with all good satire, there's a fair amt of truth embedded there.

Thnx for the comment, Matt. Good course correction.

MarcoDebiasi

How about accomplished members of this community that have been published, have had numerous gallery exhibitions, and websites? Like me, for example, and others I'd get to know.

@Owtafocus, I took a look at your photo site. You have my highest esteem and respect as a photographer.

Owtafocus

Thank you very much, Marco. I visited your site, too, and enjoyed the images there. You cover a good range from flowers to abstract to street, all done well.

ranger

re: Blake and Bryan's list, knowing both those guys they have their tongues firmly in their cheeks. Blake's regular blog is one of the funniest photo-blogs I know of. I remember when somebody linked this blog-post here and another member about crapped himself with outrage (follow through by reading the comments).

MarcoDebiasi

Thank you very much, Marco. I visited your site, too, and enjoyed the images there. You cover a good range from flowers to abstract to street, all done well.

Thank you Jeffrey. I truly appreciate it.

RanfordStealth

James Nachtwey. And a young Canadian guy known as Joey L. Sadly a lot of young photographers I've met couldn't even name one of these greats. They're more concerned with the GEAR. What a shame.

RanfordStealth

Just as an aside, photographers don't have to be from your chosen genre to have a great input into your photographic journey. For example my favourite three would be W. Eugene Smith, Don McCullin & James Nachtwey. And my field is mostly beauty and fashion portaiture. The connection? Emotion. Great English landscaper Joe Cornish's favourite guy is Smith too. Go figure. Or do what I do and just go with it! My words-to-shoot-by are from Smith as well : "Whats the use of a great depth of field if there is not an adequate depth of feeling?" Thanks, Eugene, you crazy, beautiful sod! ;-)Hey, let's start a fave quote thread ;-p

Deardorff

Paul Caponigro His White Deer Running image is an all time classic. His craft and well seen images are a visual treat.

Michael A. Smith His excellent images - all 8x10, 8x20, 17x22 contact prints are stunning. A 25 year retrospective and MOMA a few years back was worth the trip.

Paula Chamlee Wife of Michael A. Smith and, if anything, even more finely tuned to excellence in vision. Her High Plains Farm book is one of the finest anywhere. She went home and in 5x7 and 8x10 documented the family farm in Texas.

Brett Weston In many ways even more finely honed vision than his father, Edward Weston. He was not afraid of contrast and blacks in his images.

Josed Sudek The one armed photographer of Prague. 8x10 camera and close to home - his work is a testament to excellence.