Sign in to follow this  
bashar

Steve huff can't focus with the Fuji

bashar

It's really annoying when reviewers make controversial statements for the sake of generating Internet noise...apparently Steve got 50% out of focus rate with Fuji...it's either the guy can't focus on Fast moving cows, or just lifted the camera and pressed the shutter to prove his point about m4/3 superiority in a seemingly innocent manner....

"out of 12 shots taken of the cows with the Fuji, 7 were in focus. The E-P5 and Nikon had zero missed AF shots"

jac

Fuji can't be paying him enough :P

And anyone that believes everything he spits out is a total muppet.

K1W1_Mk2

I think when you post things like this it's always a good idea to include a link so people can find the source easily

Link to Steve Huff story

You probably should also point out that the Fuji he was referring to is an X-M1 with a Zeiss Touit 32mm attached. I seem to recall the the Zeiss lens has not won any accolades as a speed demon on any camera it's attached to.

In the context of the story I have to agree with his speed statement. Both the E-P5 and the Nikon 1 system cameras are blindingly fast focusing compared to any Fuji. Fujis are simply not fast focusing cameras that is all there is to it but for many of us they focus fast enough and really that is all that matters. My car is nowhere near as fast as a Ferrari but it's fast enough for the driving I do why should I have any different attitude to my cameras, if they do what I want that is all the matters to me.

bashar

Thanks for sharing the link,but let's be honest here. I can say an slr is faster than all the mirrorless cameras, put the cameras on a tripod and make fun of mirroless.... There is no denying that the m4/3 or Nikon 1 is fast, but you must be a real idiot to get 5/12 photos out of focus and proclaim yourself a pro reviewer....

Do you know for a fact that the Zeiss and the x-m1 suck that bad in the focus department, have you tested one?!

the car argument is out of context here, a Ferrari is faster than a BMW m6 for sure, but you just don't put both in a straight line, hit the gass paddle, crash the car and conclude that car A is faster than car B....a Ferrari is so much different to drive than a regular car, period...5/12 out of focus says a lot about the camera/lens or the photographer/driver...

zeevparush

I have the X-E1 with 18-55 and 55-200 and I have to admit that the focus speed can be a problem and something that I have to consider while shooting (and I have the latest firmware installed)

Most of the time I manage to take the shots I want and the results are excellent in terms of IQ, but I do find myself and my X-E1 hunting for focus in a noticeable amount of situations.

I love my X-E1, the user interface, the image quality and sheer fun of shooting with it, but I think this system dose a have a problem with its focus system.

(For reference, I come from Canon 7D and more then 20 years of enthusiastic amateur experience)

artuk

You probably should also point out that the Fuji he was referring to is an X-M1 with a Zeiss Touit 32mm attached. I seem to recall the the Zeiss lens has not won any accolades as a speed demon on any camera it's attached to.

In the context of the story I have to agree with his speed statement. Both the E-P5 and the Nikon 1 system cameras are blindingly fast focusing compared to any Fuji. Fujis are simply not fast focusing cameras that is all there is to it but for many of us they focus fast enough and really that is all that matters.

I completely agree. A quick test in a store will show the quite obvious difference in focusing speed between Olympus/Panasonic, Nikon 1 and Fuji X cameras. I didn't think Steve H was being disingenous about his experience - simply that's what it was for him in that comparison. In fairness, he compliments the image quality, sharpness and colour in the same paragraphs. As Kiwi says, if the focusing is fast enough for someone, then it's no problem for them - but that doesn't mean the focusing isn't slower (and therefore less reliable in some circumstances) than other cameras.

edit: A few months ago I was at dinner with friends in quite low light (ISO3200, f2, 1/50s kind of territory). My friends were just chatting and eating, and I want to take some candid photos across the table, so the shooting distance was probably between 3-6 feet. I can say for a fact that the 35mm f1.4 lens would often focus slow enough that by the time the shutter fired, the subject had moved as they ate or talked, leading to a high failure rate. Only when they paused for me to take a photo was a sharp in focus photo much more likely. I've got no reason to lie about this - it is what it is - and I accept the conditions were low interior lighting.

PhoTom

"I didn't think Steve H was being disingenous about his experience"

I can't speak to this story, but I have found him to be disingenuous in the past. Some of the comparison articles were asinine. I.E., when he compares landscape shots from different cameras using different focal lengths with wildly different DOF and it is obvious that he has an agenda. He calls them " crazy comparisons". It's like someone telling me, "I'm going to be up front and honest with you and let you know I'll be lying".

K1W1_Mk2

It's his blog of you don't like what he writes ignore him.

I rarely read any of his so called comparisons or reviews but I do regularly read other articles on his site from third parties many of which I find quite interesting.

bashar

In general he is better than other reviewers, but this incident reminded me of Scott kelby reviewing the x-100 and saying the d3100 is a better choice, because it can focus....seemingly innocent statements with a hidden agenda....I agree 3d party reviews are the most interesting ...

artuk

In general he is better than other reviewers, but this incident

What's wrong with "this incident"? If you compare the E-P5, V1 and X-M1, you don't think the X-M1 has the slowest focus and therefore is the least capable of focusing on moving things?

bashar

I am not saying the x-m1 is a speed demon by any means, but it takes some talent to get 7/12 in focus and say the other cameras have perfect focus....is the success rate 60% with the x cameras, maybe other forum members can answer this?!

K1W1_Mk2

Based on my albeit limited experience with Nikon 1, an E-PL5 and Fuji X series I think he is 100% n the money as far as focus speed between the three products is concerned. Fuji aren't even in the same game as the other two but as I said earlier it is whether it works for an individual that counts not words on a screen.

K1W1_Mk2

Don't forget that the whole point of the story was shooting at the largest aperture. The margin for error in focus was minute and with such a small DOF any movement between focus acquisition and shutter release would result in oof mages. I think the concept of the so called test is dumb but the results are probably as expected.

bashar

@k1w1 I agree with you 100%, you are stating the obvious here. But it's either the guy doesn't understand how the Fuji system works and how to get around it as a tool or trying to play dumb by saying almost half of his shots were out of focus...

bashar

I used to shoot my toddler with the x-e1/35 first firmware wide open, my success rate was 80%, am I a better photographer or what?!

bashar

Maybe not, but he could have just clicked the shutter without acquiring a pre-focus to prove his point...the system has some limitations and we all know it and we know how to get around it. This whole statement came across while he was trying to prove the superiority of m4/3 remember....

Owtafocus

Everyone knows that cameras do not like being pointed at cows. They resist by not focusing. They are made for people.

artuk

Maybe not, but he could have just clicked the shutter without acquiring a pre-focus to prove his point...the system has some limitations and we all know it and we know how to get around it. This whole statement came across while he was trying to prove the superiority of m4/3 remember....

so how do you get around the problem of slow focusing on moving things with Fuji? Pre focusing wont work on moving things. Using a large depth of field might work, but not for the situation I described earlier (low light where stopping down not possible). You could manual focus, but on an AF system with fly-by-wire focus rings, that is not particularly quick in my experience, and again probably would not work well for something moving. So what is the answer?

I also use Nikon 1 and I can say for a fact that in good light it focuses almost instantly and is generally very reliable and accurate. I can also say that using Fuji, shooting anything that moves, even people talking over a meal, that at a large aperture, you are generally going to get out of focus pictures unless they stop moving for you to photograph them.

jac

so how do you get around the problem of slow focusing on moving things with Fuji?

Mash technique perhaps?

mattmaber

Everyone knows that cameras do not like being pointed at cows. They resist by not focusing. They are made for people.

Fuji's are superior in clearly NOT focusing on cows, now if only they could implement a system by where anyone thinking of attempting HDR gets electrocuted, or the files erase their computer that would be even better.