Camera won't turn on after using camera connection kit

hannahfletcher3

I've had no problems with my x100 until last night when I tested out a USB card reader that I'd bought to use with my iPad.

It worked without a hitch. I then replaced the SD card in the camera. This morning it wouldn't turn on. Totally dead.

I've read other discussions about this problem but I can't find the solution!

Has your X100 been updated with the most recent firmware (1.30 or in a few days hopefully 2.00)? Earlier firmware versions sometimes struggled with system files dumped on the card by host operating system like Windows or OSX.

Re-formating the card in a PC or similar and with out starting any photo/transfer software could be worth a try.

As above; does the camera power up without a card?

I had this although my symptoms were less severe. My camera took ages to power up after replacing the card having downloaded images to an iPad. Googling around it turns out that Apple drop a file on the SD card that messes with the X100 when it powers up. Reformatting the card cures this.

So having the iPad for a "second copy" of images when travelling doesn't really work. iPad in the bin and now using a Surface. A far more useful device.

Googling around it turns out that Apple drop a file on the SD card that messes with the X100 when it powers up. Reformatting the card cures this.

Internet crap.

Since you posted this I have taken a SD card I was using out of a card reader attached to a Mac put it into an Apple camera connection kit imported a couple of photos from that card to my iPad removed the card from the iPad put the card back into my X100s started the camera looked at the images and then formatted the card. Not one issue at any step.

The WAS an issue with SD cards on Macs about 18 months ago but Fuji corrected it with a firmware update and it has not been a general problem since. The issue was mainly user related because despite the warnings Apple give you people continue to simply remove cards rather than dragging the card icon from the desktop to the trash so that it is ejected correctly from the Mac OS. There was never an issue with iOS it was simply the desktop OS that Fuji messed things up with.

To the OP. Make sure that your X100 has the latest firmware available from Fuji.

It may well be that this lady (note - a 1st time poster), has not kept up with updates and does indeed have the problem caused by Apple hardware writing files to the SD card (BTW, no one mentioned locking the card). We don't know how she has been accessing her images.

The thing is - if she hasn't downloaded the necessary updates before, she cannot now do so because the camera will not switch on!

I'll add one suggestion - remove and refit the battery as this seemed to clear many problems on the early pre-update bodies. If it does work, go to Fujifilm support and download the latest firmware following the instructions (or come back here and search the threads for help on how to instal it in your camera).

hannahfletcher3

Thanks so much for your replies. I've tried to turn the camera on without the card and removed and replaced the battery - still no luck.

I now don't know how I can format the card without a computer (I am travelling with only my iPad) and, as you say, I have no way of downloading the new updates.

I've emailed Fuji so will see if they come back with anything.

I have had this problem after downloading pictures to my iPad using e camera connection kit. The camera would take up to a couple of minutes to turn on. The card had been formatted in the camera prior to using. I have the latest firmware.

"I now don't know how I can format the card without a computer (I am travelling with only my iPad)"

Find a friendly photographer who might help format your card in their camera or do the same in a camera store. It may not help your situation if the problem is with the camera but Ipads are/were not Fuji friendly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I have just recently acquired a used fuji x100s and camera is in a mint condition, however, I used it for less than 30 mins took pics & downloaded on my mac & now it won't power up, I have tried new battery, removed memory card, reformatted and still no luck, eventually spent money on repairs DC/DC P.C.Board service, clean & check $100, it worked for a few days & won't power up again, frustrated.

• Sad 1