Sign in to follow this  
Straggler

RAW+JPG Disparity

Straggler

Hi

I'm new to the forum although have visited a few times. Looks good but also looks to formidably large. I'm wondering whether my query has been discussed long ago and I've not discovered it. Anyway, here goes!

I've noticed that when I set my X10 to capture both RAW and JPG and inspect what I have downloaded to Lightroom the image proportions change when I move from the JPG to the RAW. I initially assumed that some sort of lens correction was being applied in the RAW to JPG conversion but having just dome a test pic of a circular disc I find it is the JPG that is slightly elliptical and the RAW is closer to a true circle. What's going on here? And should I assume that if I shoot in "JPG only" my images will have this distortion too? If this is the case it looks as though shooting in RAW is the only option for moderately "true" pictures.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on this.

K1W1_Mk2

What jpeg image size and proportions are you using? The native proportions of the sensor are 4:3 so if for example you have your settings at 3:2 then there is some in camera cropping occurring that could be changing the way the image appears.

Straggler

Thanks for the quick reply but, regrettably, I do have the JPG set to L and 4:3 already so this in not the cause. Perplexing!

MikeTorello

Hi! It's the auto lens' distortion & vignetting correction in JPG compared to RAW.

Straggler

Hello Mike

Thanks for your comment. I had assumed it was a correction of some sort being applied but I don't understand why it's the RAW that seems geometrically correct and the JPG is distorted. In my test shot the RAW version of a square-on disc is accurately circular but the JPG has made it into a slightly stretched, and therefore elliptical, shape. I would have expected it to be the other way round.

I note also that in Lightroom 4 there is a lens correction to apply to RAW images for the X100 but not the X10. Is this significant? Perhaps it's not needed!

K1W1_Mk2

More likely Adobe haven't bothered to do the lens correction for the X10. You can create your own correction if you want Adobe give you the tools.

artuk

More likely Adobe haven't bothered to do the lens correction for the X10. You can create your own correction if you want Adobe give you the tools.

If the OP is correct, the raw files look "ok" and the in camera jpegs look "wrong". For other X cameras, Fuji embeds the required correction data in the raw files, and some converters such as Abode read it and apply the corrections automatically. If the jpeg looks different (and "wrong" - that is, circles become elipses) one can only assume the in camera corrections being applied by Fuji's jpeg engine are "wrong". It wouldn't be the first thing with camera software they didn't implement well - depth of field scale, and focus distance random number indicator, anyone?

Straggler

Thanks Artuk. Since I'm happy with the RAWs I think I'll just pretend the JPGs don't exist and get on with taking pictures. Although, in low light situations, I find I can't get as good final images from the RAW files as the camera seems to manage so maybe that's where they'll stay valuable.

Ultrax

I see barrel distortion in the RAW images but it seems corrected in the jpegs. The distortion is not complex (so not difficult to correct) but very noticeable.. extremely so on things like horizons.