Sign in to follow this  
Bego

Shutter speed stuck at 1/34 (?)

Bego

Hi,

I am new to the Fuji X system (have been, and still is, a long time Nikon fan) and, of course, new here. So, hello everybody.

I am discovering the wonders of the X100s and I am already contemplating the X-Pro 2 or the XE-2 in a near future. Maybe even ditching my Nikon digital system. Maybe.

Now, my question: I am trying to shoot a really low-light subject, at ISO 400, in A mode, and no matter where I put the aperture, from f/2 ro f/16, shutter speed seems to be stuck at 1/34. Is there some setting that I missed that prevents shutter to shoot slower than 1/34? I'm not in Auto ISO mode, where I'd understand the Auto to not let shutter speed go any slower than 1/focal lenght (hence 1/34). Thank you.

K1W1_Mk2

Have you tried manual mode and setting the shutter and aperture independently?

If you are not in auto iso I can't think of any reason why the shutter speed would be fixed at 1/34.

Bego

Have you tried manual mode and setting the shutter and aperture independently?

If you are not in auto iso I can't think of any reason why the shutter speed would be fixed at 1/34.

It does. Yes, I could go to manual mode, but that wouldn't solve the problem. Thanks.

Bego

I heard this problem, from a lot of x100 users.

you have to go fuji service

Just what I didn't want to read. Thanks anyway.

Bego

Now, after a couple of hours off, the camera seems to have gone back to normal. I can now shoot at f/2 and 1/20 or even 1/4. Still, this obvious bug... bugs me.

sloflyfishguy

As I recall, this was an issue with at least one prior version of the firmware and, supposedly, has been fixed in the latest version. I've updated the firmware on my X-E1 and all of my lenses, but I haven't tested this particular feature/bug since then.

Being an old film guy, I have no issues in reverting to manual mode when in doubt.

johnbasco

Yes my X 100 s has the same problem( i bought just 20days ago) May be i'll try firmware versions if any available

icangrun

I experienced this same issue with my x100s and wanted to update for future readers since this is the top search result on Google for "x100s 1/34".

This has nothing to do with a camera error or firmware upgrades. When any flash mode is turned on, even off camera flash, the camera will not go below 1/34th second in Aperture priority (A mode). So to fix this, just go into the quick settings and turn flash off.

Ronen_Shanke

I'm having the same issue with my newly purchased X100s, it isn't technically "stuck" on 1/34th but I can spot meter on various points in a low lit area and change the aperture from f/2 to f/4...4.5ish and the shutter stays at 1/34 and under exposes 4 out of 5 images. I have the 1.2 version of firmware installed (was on it when purchased in October 2014), so I see 1.1 mentioned above...clearly not fixed even in v1.2. Coupled with the difficulties in AF point selection (I'm a pro DSLR and MF shooter who purchased this as my easy light "baby cam" for my infant to always have with me) has me heavily leaning toward returning this. I'm taking it to a pumpkin patch today to shoot and also NOW carrying a bag with a DSLR in it because I'm not trusting it will work properly. Also another reason I got it (off subject) is the hi speed sync capability with it's flash (and external flashes)...however I returned the Fujifilm EF20 flash because it's CHEAP..and blocks the shutter speed dial; I may try the EFX-20 which looks to keep the dial more accessible. Any larger flash, I had a Canon 270EXII for my Canon G series P&S the Fuji X100s replaced and even though small, it too blocks the shutter dial, so not sure third party flashes are that useable if you want to manually manipulate the shutter speed. Today's "test" will determine whether this stays or goes back....it's supposed to be my "easy" p&S cam, not a p&A (pain in the ass) cam.

Ronen_Shanke

P.S. icangrun's comment above seems to be correct. Even though no external flash was attached, I still had the camera on "external flash" mode; once that was off, the 1/34th issues seemed to resolve itself, in spot metering mode at least. I would think that this camera would be smart enough to realize the hot shoe is empty though, even when in "external flash" mode.

Ronen_Shanke

P.P.S. and even though I didn't check the IQ setting again after putting in a new battery before I left and mistakenly shot "Normal" JPEG vs. "Fine + RAW", I am very happy with the few shots taken today in mixed light (bright noon sun under a semi-translucent yellow tent) This is by far an order of magnitude above the Canon G Series IMHO. Keeper.

My Pumpkin at the Pumpkin Patch

Bigsock

I had a very similar problem with my XF10, after some messing around the thing that fixed it was switching the drive mode to one of the quick speeds and then back to regular shooting.  For whatever reason part of the camera though the shutter speed needed to accommodate fast Frame rates, 6ps on this camera, or possibly stuck in the 154k mode and of course can only open the shutter so long to accommodate that.  Anyway clicking to the fast Frame rate In the drive mode and then back fixed it.  Turning off and on didn't.