Sign in to follow this  
john_pa

My Watch-It’s

john_pa

So I love my X-100, but I notice that there are a couple of Watch-It’s that I have to be careful of.

The first is that I have found that although the physical dials are terrific, probably the best part of the camera, I have a bad habit of hitting them inadvertently. A number of times I have mistakenly bumped the power switch while handling the camera, and I might take it out of a bag and find that the switch (if not the power) has been “on” for who-knows-how-long. I have also mistakenly twisted the power “off” a few times when I didn’t mean to while handling the camera (and while it was writing to the card too).

In addition, I have somehow mistakenly bumped the shutter-speed dial a few times. I shoot Av 95% of the time, but occasionally I find that the camera “meters” at 1/4000-sec no matter what ISO or aperture I set. Then I realize – Oh, I bumped the shutter dial and it is now “manual” on “4000” rather than a speed of “A” (Doh!!). This bumping issue has also happened to me with the Ev dial too.

The other dumb-thing that has gotten me twice now is that I’ll be shooting outside with the OVF and I notice that although I can see the electronic overlay fine when the camera is in landscape orientation, when I turn the camera to portrait orientation the electronic overlays disappear (even though the scene itself in the OVF looks the same). This, I have discovered, is not a problem with the camera, but it is because I happened to be wearing polarized sunglasses at the time. The polarization of my glasses blocks the electronic display in portrait orientation without changing the appearance of the OVF image, and when I put on normal non-polarized glasses, everything is great in both orientations.

As ditzy as all this may sound, I have to say that the one thing that I have NO trouble with that others have complained about is putting the battery in backwards. The curve of the battery follows the curve of the camera case, and I don’t see how anyone could get this wrong unless you are in total darkness.

Christopher

Interesting tidbit about wearing polarized sunglasses and the OVF overlays. I've never tried shooting with sunglasses though, I'd be afraid I'd overexpose everything :)

The one thing that gets me is forgetting to check the exposure compensation dial, or the display in the view finder. I'm getting better at setting it back to 0 after I'm done with it now.

I've only managed to put the battery in the wrong way once, when I was running out the door and grabbed it off the charger. It is peculiar that it's not 'keyed' in any manner, but it hasn't really been a problem.