Sign in to follow this  
TimothyHughes

First impressions with my X100

Christopher

Welcome to the community @TimothyHughes! Great first hand review.

One thing that is rather tricky is getting used to composing the photos switching between the optical and digital viewfinder. I didn't anticipate myself really using the digital viewfinder prior to getting the camera... I figured I'd be an optical purist. In low light the digital viewfinder is incredible-amplifying the scene to brighter levels than the eye can see. It also covers 100% of the shot. Whereas, the optical covers more and you need to use guidelines to compose. Not something I'm yet used to.

I started out the same way, I never expected to use the digital view finder much. My framing tends to be very precise and technical, having access to a direct view off the sensor has been really nice to have. It can sometimes be difficult to see in really bright light, but I can usually make it work if I really need to.

In my stubbornness to only use the OVF at first, I became pretty good at accurately framing things out to be parallel with the frame lines, but it still wasn't as precise as I'd like. I almost always use the OVF when fine precision isn't required, the brighter view is nice, and there's no lag.

john_pa

I usually use the OVF too, although I agree that the framing lines are not very accurate. I guess that due to parallax this accuracy depends on subject distance. I consistently end up with noticeably more picture than what is framed by the white rectangle of the OVF. We can always crop though, so more is certainly better than less.

The EVF comes on automatically with macro-mode selection, which I use fairly often, and that is where most of my experience with this is. Maybe I’ll get used to it; someday.

Christopher

The Fuji Guys FAQ video says the OVF frame lines cover about 80% of the frame, I was really expecting something closer to 95%.

TimothyHughes

Christopher, I'm hoping to get used to the framing lines at some point. I just haven't worked enough with the X100 to be confident with it.

John, definitely check out the EVF in low light, it's really cool. I think you can get an idea whether your exposure is good just with the brightness of the image in the EVF.

stephen

Loving it! It's taken me back to street photography. My 1 month old nikon d7000 is just gathering dust!

TimothyHughes

Stephen, I sort of have a love/hate relationship with mine. lol

I love the form factor and image quality (among other things) but am struggling with some of the menus, write speed, etc. I've been quite critical of my X100 since getting it in hopes that Fuji improves the system by firmware updates.

stephen

i do agree with the write times. i've tried a few cards though and i'm having better luck with sandisk ultra

michael

First impression of the x100, I'm in Love, the build quality and general ease of use. The quality of images and higher ISO has me amazed, the built in flash works brilliantly, but always seems to shoot at f2, not really a big problem with a wide angle lense. Love the fixed lense, feels like Im getting back into photography again. Negative points - Write times are tediously slow, and the camera locks up all other fuctions while recording, auto focusing is slow and sometimes even when the green focus lock lights the image is out of focus. Really have to swap to evf when shooting close up, (not nessecary macro either). The rear command dial could be more responsive and accurate. Still feel the camera is overpriced for what it is, and quite a step up from my Canon g9. Stopped by two Lecia users in Dublin, both seemed very impressed. Made a very good first impression.

Mule

Michael, You have made it easy for me. I agree with every point. I am in love with this camera, though. I have been shooting with two Leicas myself, but just the D-lux 4 and the D-lux 2. I sold my Sony A700 to get this. Not looking back for me.

WilzWorkz7

i do agree with the write times. i've tried a few cards though and i'm having better luck with sandisk ultra

How about the extreme cards? Works fine with me.

WilzWorkz7

Any tried formatting the card in camera before using? it works with my sandisk vanilla SD 16GB card.

VegarBones

Buy a SanDisk Extreme Pro with 45mb/s (they are expensive but worth it). Format it first in the camera. I did this and startup and image storing works like a charm!

michael

Michael, You have made it easy for me. I agree with every point. I am in love with this camera, though. I have been shooting with two Leicas myself, but just the D-lux 4 and the D-lux 2. I sold my Sony A700 to get this. Not looking back for me.

Sold the G9 to fund this purchase. Other point I noticed which has been mentioned in other posts is how quickly the battery dies, the red battery indicated came on and i got another half dozen photos. Bit embarrassing when using a £1000 kit!!!

shadowdetails

Love it and hate it. Only had it a few hours,but I have noticed some major quirks... maybe y'all know some workarounds... and yes I do have the newest firmware... they are:

*Sometimes is doesn't read the correct shutter speed from the shutter dial.

*Sometimes, even though I may be taking the first picture of moment, the indicator lamp glows orange and no further pictures can be taken.. the buffer cannot actually be full, because only one shot has been taken.

*The OVF can be wildly inaccurate in regards to focal point.

*It's unfortunate that the EVF doesn't preview exposure in Manual Mode. Anyone know if this can be fixed?

*And no accurate histogram in Manual Mode either? Really? This can't be.

But I can't wait to break it in at the dirt track races tomorrow! Cross your fingers it doesn't rain.

Christopher

@shadowdetails, The OVF's focal point will be inaccurate at close range due to the parallax error, particularly within 4 feet or so. It's best to use the EVF in these scenarios, but the new firmware does provide an option to display a parallax corrected AF point. It's not turned on by default, you can find it under the SET menu on page 6, titled "CORRECTED AF FRAME"

michael

I've tried the Corrected AF Frame, and like it at the moment, time will tell, but i wish it was a bit more opaque, almost feels like it is blocking the view. In general i have the OVF costume displayed with everything but grid lines and level.

earlyadopter

Wrapped menus drives me crazy. I too often select the next (first after the last) menu item (it's especially frustrating when there are just two options) instead of pressing Enter - the center button is so tiny. :(

I used a soft-release button from my Leica for a few days and was forced to unscrew it. It's convenient to have it on, but camera inside the bug turns with it on, takes itself an enormous number of dark empty images, and eats the battery.

All the turning knobs (shutter speed, exposure compensation, even the iris ring) are not tight enough — found myself more than a few times taking pictures with way out of the normal exposure (either -2 compensation, or too slow shutter speed because the ring on the lens moved from A to 1/16, or because the speed gone from A to 1/4000 of a second).

Seriously miss the continuous shooting mode I have on Ricoh GR3. Burst mode is not a replacement. Yes, it's faster, but writing time is like you lost the camera for 15 or 20 seconds.

It also too often focuses on the background instead of something much closer to me (which I'm taking a picture of). Obviously a real focusing area is larger than this small rectangle in the viewfinder which pretends to be a focusing area.

But when it managed to focus where I wanted it to, image quality is good.