Sign in to follow this  
Zheng83

Will the next generation x100s be released soon?

Zheng83

I am thinking of getting a x100s but was wondering if fuji will be released a new model soon because it was already a year since the release of x100s..

Christopher

Fujifilm is rumored to be announcing a black X100S in a few days, but it will be identical in function to the silver model. There have been no rumors of a successor, I would not expect a replacement until the end of 2014, at the earliest.

K1W1_Mk2

Based on past time lines the black X100s will arrive in early 2014 and the replacement for the X100s will arrive in early 2015.

sloflyfishguy

I've been told that the cycle time for replacement models in the digital camera industry is generally about 18 months, but I've never researched that.

K1W1_Mk2

Original X100 early 2011

Black X100 early 2012

X100s early 2013

Black X100s early 2014

Work the sequence out.

trustkill24

Original X100 early 2011

Black X100 early 2012

X100s early 2013

Black X100s early 2014

Work the sequence out.

Cool new icon :-)

Dennis

...the cycle time for replacement models in the digital camera industry is generally about 18 months....

Would hate to see Fujifilm X series camera turn into something where general industry life cycle rules apply, but the above is probably right for most cameras. Fujifilm firmware support (e.g. 2.01 for X100 in November 2013) indicate something different...

boulevardier

If we ignore financial considerations, is there any reason Fuji can't update firmware indefinitely, or do newer cameras rely on different hardware too?

gryphon1911

If we ignore financial considerations, is there any reason Fuji can't update firmware indefinitely, or do newer cameras rely on different hardware too?

It depends. For example, the X-E1 and X-E2 are pretty close, but some features cannot be translated like the split image manual focus assist since it relies on the phase detect features of the new sensor.

K1W1_Mk2

Ultimately the new hardware and declining numbers of cameras in use will mean that there is no point in continuing to update firmware.

pcg

@KiW1, you're such an optimistic fellow. Post after post. After post.

Cheer up, man. It's a new year.

K1W1_Mk2

Are you really saying that you believe Fuji will be able to keep updating firmware on any model ad infinitum? Put some common sense into your thought processes.

The fact that they are doing updates is great and to be applauded but everything has a use by date and the way technology and electronics move forward somewhere along the line it just won't be possible to continue and besides products die eventually as well as get lost or destroyed or simply forgotten so the numbers of users of ANY product can only decline over time once the product is no longer in production.

K1W1_Mk2

Probably about 12 months.

The X-E1 was Sept/Oct 2012 from memory and the XE-2 was around that same period in 2013.

Deemus

This has been my thinking as well. I just recently sold my X100 and was debating on getting the 23mm or the x100s. But in my mind knowing that the X100s will soon be replaced by a X100f or something. But if I get the lens then that won't be replaced. and down the line I could just get a different camera body. and keep my sexy lenses. But the X100_ is rather small and portable. :#

K1W1_Mk2

Once agin based on the history so far the X100s is not going to be replaced for at least another 12 months. The black s will simply be a black s. The interesting part will be whether its some sort of special product like Fuji tried unsuccessfully last time or whether it's just black and the same price as the silver X100s. That means that you can't really say the X100s is being replaced soon.

You can shoot an awful lot of photos between now and early 2015 which is when the replacement camera would be expected.

pcg

Aside from all of this prognostication, remember it is no more than that. No one here has more than past history upon which to project what will or will not occur. Fuji has been both consistent, and full of surprises.

pominpocket

Why would Fuji stop these firmware updates? For a start they have pioneered this process and shown punters how honest a camera company can be. Why would cameras become rAre ? Actually more people are taking photos and millions are using mobile phones but there are still photographers who use cameras. This breed will not die out.

I can not understand how people spent hours and hours speculating if a camera company will go broke in the future. This also does not make sence when Fuji are making more and more cameras and lenses. I am in Hanoi at the moment. The means of transport is maainly the revamped Vespa. My X100 S really is getting a lot of looks as well

Iansky

The firmware I had in my X100 was 2.01 (following update end of last year), the firmware in my new black X100s (delivered to retailer Thu 16 Jan) is 1.10.

It is great to see Fuji still supporting the X100 as it is a very good camera, the X100s definately has subtle external improvements and apparently over 65 internal improvements.

The black version was the same price point as the silver and you can get a free case with it but unable to order Fuji adaptor & lens shade so had to go 3rd party!

ddakin

Fuji x100s has so many good things going for it that Fuji development has a BIG challenge to improve on this classic little wonder! That said, a new version is inevitable, probably in early 2015. The real question is "why change?". It will have to be something special to pry this baby out of my hands!

DonC

I think it's a bit sad that the computer industry mindset is becoming so dominant in photography. Instead of focusing on a really great camera like the X100s and spending time taking pictures and refining the art, we put off photography (the whole point!) and wait for the next great thing, which will be replaced by the next great thing, on and on.

Sometimes an upgrade is truly useful. The X100s fixed a lot of X100 problems. But it's a great camera. With proper care, it will make fine images for years. It's not an iPhone to be dumped eighteen months later when AT&T gives you a new free phone offer.

Think of the days when you bought a Nikon F or Leica M4 and used it for decades, producing masterful images.

Sigh!

seongkim777

Don C, well said... // I have been searching and upgrading and spending countless hours on camera spec to camera specs... I have finally come to a system where I am happy to say, I will grow old with these cameras. I don't really see a need to upgrade. XE2 + X100s and later down the road possibly jump to Leica system. // However.... Always looking forward to Fuji's new products.

gryphon1911

I think it's a bit sad that the computer industry mindset is becoming so dominant in photography. Instead of focusing on a really great camera like the X100s and spending time taking pictures and refining the art, we put off photography (the whole point!) and wait for the next great thing, which will be replaced by the next great thing, on and on.

Sometimes an upgrade is truly useful. The X100s fixed a lot of X100 problems. But it's a great camera. With proper care, it will make fine images for years. It's not an iPhone to be dumped eighteen months later when AT&T gives you a new free phone offer.

Think of the days when you bought a Nikon F or Leica M4 and used it for decades, producing masterful images.

Sigh!

That is a valid point of view...but the problem is the imaging sensor being welded into the body. In the film days, new film came out and you got to reap the benefits of the newest chemistry and no body update required. Now, if you want the better IQ, you have to upgrade the camera body. If they would only make the mirrorless/DSLRs with interchangeable backs like medium format - we could alleviate some of this.

mattmaber

Sigh!

True, though I still have my X100 and no desire to upgrade to an X100s.