Quick assessment of my new Fuji WCL-X100 wide conversion lens (for the X100s)

pcg

Just received the wide conversion lens accessory that converts the fixed X100 lens to a 28mm equivalent (an increase of 0.8x). Quick comments:

--Fit & finish are superb.

--All metal body.

--No loss in AF speed.

--Installation took seconds.

--My old B+W UV filter screwed onto the WCL-X100 nicely.

--Even better, my lens hood (the aftermarket JJC LH-X100) slips on snugly and photos taken using the new lens show no evidence of the hood interfering with the image.

--The lens adds weight, of course (about 5 oz., or 150g), which had concerned me. My initial reaction though is, "Nice." I like the added heft as it seems to steady the camera slightly.

--Cost is minor in light of the increased flexibility.

--There's no loss in f-stops. Rather cool, Fuji.

Pixel peeping of images will follow tonight, but other reviews indicate I should expect the usual marvelous images that the X100S has produced regularly w/o the WLC attachment.

Initial overall impression is extremely positive. I've always favored the 28mm view, and had felt the fixed X100S lens was a slight compromise for me. So this conversion is rather exciting. And broadens X100 image possibilities.

Would love to hear from anyone else who's gone this route.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look forward to seeing some of the results @PCG as I'm seriously considering saving up my pennies for one. Where did you buy and at what cost, if I may be so nosey??

:-)

Viv

Hi Viv... I got lucky. It's a new lens off eBay from a Philippines seller. Cost including shipping was about $270.

No regrets. Compare that to a standalone Fuji X-Pro lens ($600+). And my memory is that the 28mm standalone is still not available for the x-series.

Compare that to a standalone Fuji X-Pro lens ($600+). And my memory is that the 28mm standalone is still not available for the x-series.

Fuji make the XF 18mm f2 for the X system, which in 135 format is 27mm equivalent. It's sharp in the centre from full aperture, but the outer field isn't as good, and it suffers from quite a high level of distortion (as I believe the WCL does) and also a lot of CS in the "wrong" situation.

For X100 owners the WCL lens seems like a good option that's better than the 18mm, and faster than the 18-55mm, but without OIS.

So far I haven't detected distortion, but I also haven't shot anything with strong vertical and horizontal lines (buildings etc). That'll be my next test, but even if I find slight distortion it's largely meaningless for me. I'll be using this for landscapes almost 100%.

I am finding a bit of light falloff on the edges, and sharpness wide open (f2) is poor on the edges. It ceases to be an issue at about f5.6. Again, for landscape work I usually shoot at 5.6 or higher and am frequently using the ND filter, so these aren't practical issues for me. And those observations check out pretty much with this review:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_wcl_x100_review/

So far I haven't detected distortion, but I also haven't shot anything with strong vertical and horizontal lines (buildings etc). That'll be my next test, but even if I find slight distortion it's largely meaningless for me. I'll be using this for landscapes almost 100%.

I am finding a bit of light falloff on the edges, and sharpness wide open (f2) is poor on the edges. It ceases to be an issue at about f5.6. Again, for landscape work I usually shoot at 5.6 or higher and am frequently using the ND filter, so these aren't practical issues for me. And those observations check out pretty much with this review:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_wcl_x100_review/

The distortion is corrected in camera jpegs - if you want to see it, don't turn on þe wide conversion lens setting on the camera... from what I have seen, its quite a lot (as you might expect).

I am surprised by what you say about þe sharpness, others had suggested it was very sharp even from full aperture (which surprised me since the 23mm its screwed onto isn't always sharp, depending on aperture and focus distance). I'm not surprised by vignetting either - the base 23mm also has a little at large apertures.

I've been using one for the past year and a half (since it came out) and my only beef with it is that it hogs a lot of space on the OVF, but you gotta take the bad with the good.

Perhaps my choice of words for the lack of edge sharpness was itself poor. It's not 'poor,' but indeed noticeable. Almost disappears at f4, and does completely at 5.6. Btw, I'm only shooting RAW, so the internal software must be converting/correcting the RAW files as it does jpegs--? I haven't tried shooting jpegs as... well, I just don't shoot jpegs. Hadn't occurred to me.

Perhaps my choice of words for the lack of edge sharpness was itself poor. It's not 'poor,' but indeed noticeable. Almost disappears at f4, and does completely at 5.6. Btw, I'm only shooting RAW, so the internal software must be converting/correcting the RAW files as it does jpegs--? I haven't tried shooting jpegs as... well, I just don't shoot jpegs. Hadn't occurred to me.

It depends on your raw converter - some like Adobe and Silkypix read correction data from the exit in the raw file - hence no need for all the angst from people who can't find Fuji lens profiles for Adobe - you don't need them (and if you are not happy with the automatic ones, you can adjust manually).

Edit: to be clear, you cannot remove distortions from raw data - it is removed when the data is converted to a viewable image by your chosen software.

K1W1, mine came with the pinch cap. And it is new. That is, the lens. Could Fuji have been listening?

Regardless, with the B+W filter and the hood, I typically don't (read that, never) use the end cap, even when the camera is bagged.

• 2 weeks later...

As I just mentioned in another thread, I'm finding a dismaying amount of vignetting in the lens. Here are a couple of uncropped landscapes shot this afternoon. A bit extreme, IMHO (X100S). Dark day here and the corner darkening might not be as obvious on a bright day. Still...

photo SouthSta328_zpsd71d850c.jpg

photo SouthStb329_zps23b9b611.jpg

Regardless, with the B+W filter and the hood,.

There it is. Take the b+w filter off and the vignettng will go away.

BTW. Do you mean that your WCL came with two pinch caps? Mine came with one for the front and a slide on cover for the rear. It was the rear slide on cover that I suggested you ditch.

Agreed. Zero vignetting. I'm amazed that the B+W would have such--heck, any--effect. Easy check: I'll try some shots tomorrow with the filter off. Thanks for the correction. Pretty obvious, I suspect. (If the filter is the culprit, I say Fuji erred in its design. Then again, this is a specialized piece.)

You did say in the first post that the filter is old. Maybe one of the new slimline ones would solve the issue.

As I said in the other thread I get vignetting when using a 77mm ND on a set of step up rings. I can sort of understand that because the filter is way ( 1 1/2") in front of the lens element and it is a wide angle lens.

This is one that had the ND400 fitted. I had to crop it from 4896x3264 to 4201x2801 to get rid of the vignette.

Cora Lynn Falls

i don't know whether you have noticed but the locating pins for the lens hood are quite a long way back from the front on the lens. When fitted the lens hood does not stick out as far in front of the front element as it does on the standard lens. I suspect that this is deliberate to stop vignetting from the hood.

20130830-DSCF2951

The hood... another possible culprit at my end. I'm using the JJC LH-X100 hood. It's low profile but far more likely to be clipping the image corners than the filter (I think). I'll experiment. Best, I think, to shoot the same scene three times, first as I did earlier today (filter & hood on), then with the filter off, then with the hood off as well.

I'm personally an advocate of vignetting. I suppose I have a soft spot for the old (1930s-40s) Leitz lens, which produced images much like what I posted above. I shot with old Leica IIIF bodies for years. That said, the Fuji conversion lens, using the examples I posted, is too extreme.

I suspect you're spot on: It's either the filter, the hood, or the combined twosome. It's unlikely to be the lens itself. This won't take too long to shake out. Thanks again.

I use the JJC hood and have no vignetting issues. Most if not all of the first set I posted above would have had the hood on.

20130830-DSCF2962

20130830-DSCF2958

I agree about vignetting but I like to be able to add it to the degree I want not have a big shadow I can't control. I also quite like white vignetting (light leak around the image edges) on some scenes. I guess that is one of the joys of digital.

I'm off in 44C temps to go to the car dealer and pick up a new car for our son. When I get back I might take some shots of the white wall and various combinations and apertures to see what I can deduce.

Just took a series of shots of a white door, 1st w/ filter and hood on, 2nd w/ filter off and hood on, last w/ filter and hood off. I frankly can't see any difference--all 3 have notable vignetting. But I'm far from confident about the shots. The light source falls unevenly on the door--and I don't have reasonable alternatives to shoot. It's night here, so I'm going to be forced to wait until tomorrow. Erg.

Of interest, DPReview states about the 14mm lens, "Most wide angle primes exhibit some vignetting, and the XF14mm is no exception. If you shoot JPEG most of the time you probably won't notice, as the X system's built-in vignetting correction more-or-less eliminates any visible effect. However if you shoot RAW, then vignetting can become much more visible, depending on whether your preferred converter attempts to correct it or not." The link to their review of the lens is here:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/fujifilm-xf-14-f2-8r/4

The two shots I've posted are uncorrected RAW, not JPEG. I was also shooting at 2.0 to 2.8, which may create the most intense vignetting. The lens are not identical, but I suspect the problem I'm encountering may be the same as with the 14mm.

K1W1, not sure what format you're shooting. But could this explain the strong vignetting I'm seeing versus your far cleaner shots?

K1W1, getting back to your earlier question, "Do you mean that your WCL came with two pinch caps? Mine came with one for the front and a slide on cover for the rear. It was the rear slide on cover that I suggested you ditch."

No to that. Like yours the lens came with a pinch for the front & a slide for the rear. That had to be the origin of the confusion.

Archived