Quick assessment of my new Fuji WCL-X100 wide conversion lens (for the X100s)

pcg

@pcg, the brilliant opportunities will be there, I will have a brilliant piece of kit in my hands, I hope I will be able to do both justice and produce brilliant results.

:-)

Viv

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had one of these for a while and have two quick comments:

1. It makes the camera very front heavy. I actually dropped my X100 with this fitted while I was fussing about with filters, and it landed right on the face of the WCL-100, scratching the front element. Fortunately it happened on vacation and I had travel insurance. So be careful about the different balance of the X100/S when you have this fitted. I would definitely fit a filter to the front.

2. Try putting it on backwards for some quirky results.

Fuji WCL-X100 - backwards

Photo pressure aside, and more importantly, have a great time!

Thanks I will, it's always great meeting up with the 'Fuji Mob', as we call ourselves, not because we all have Fuji cameras, most have DSLR's but because we 'met' on the 'myfinepix' site and have been meeting up for a couple of years now, for the photography yes, but mainly for fun.

@wreckoftheold97. That image reminds me of another time I was in The Lakes and some Japanese girls were sitting on a bench feeding the swans (naughty, naughty!!) She then reached into her pocket to get her iphone, which was white, the swan thought 'ah more bread' and immediately tried to snatch it from her hand, he had his beak round it but the girl managed to pull it back. It was so amusing to watch, the swan wasn't going to give up and in the end the girl had to stand up and walk away!!

@rmcr Thanks for the heads up re the adaptor making the camera front heavy. I always use a sling strap so it will be permanently over my shoulder, plus I use a mobility scooter to get around so I'm often sitting when I take a photo and the cameras can 'sit' on my lap between shots as well as being over my shoulder by the slings. I shall definitely try the back to front method too.

Viv

Well I've been a very, very naughty girl and ordered the X100s wide angle converter from Amazon for £260.54. I've been out and about recently in the sunshine using the X100s for views around York and have decided that I really, really need a wider view. Also I'm off to the Lakes for a long weekend soon so I'll most definitely need a wider angle of view. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!!

;-)

Viv

Park cameras and camera world also stock them at good prices in the UK, and pay their UK taxes (unlike Amazon). In fact, last time I looked (a few months ago) they were selling the conversion lens for less that the Amazon price you stated (though that may have changed).

@rmcr, marvelous idea. As K1W1 knows, I bungled from the get-go by using the lens but not toggling the menu to reflect the WCL. That created dark, warped images that I really like--that is, when I'm not trying to shoot a conventional image. Screwing it in backwards is another option. I love it.

Well it's arrived!!! All on and menu adjusted. My compatible hood, bought with the lens adaptor from Amazon (not the genuine more expensive Fuji one), doesn't seem to slip on as easy as it did with the adaptor on the main lens so I hope it doesn't come off or I'll have to invest in the 'real Macoy' and get a Fuji one.

Viv

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so here's one for you to start with. It is actually a 2/3 stitch panorama because the views from Latrigg were so amazing that I just had to get all, well most of it in.

The View.....

Be warned, there will be more!!

;-)

Viv

Next time you're out, will you take the same photos with and without the WCL; it would be a good way to see how much wider and therefore useful it is to each person. I chatted with another X100 person at the last dog show I attended who had it on his camera, I didn't find that it obstructed the OVF any more than the Leica-style lens hood I used.

I posted these months ago. I deliberately chose bricks for the close shot as it is easy for people to reference the size. Shots were taken with a tripod so the camera location is identical in both sets of shots between the WCL and non WCL photo.

All photos ate jpeg sooc and the WCL "switch" was turned on for the photos where it was fitted

Taken from a couple metres from the wall

No WCL

20131018DSCF2625

WCL fitted

20131018DSCF2626

Taken from about 12 metres from the building from memory. The gap on the right is the easy thing to see. On the non WCL image the right edge is the edge of the building roof.

No WCL

20131018DSCF2623

WCL fitted

20131018DSCF2624

• 4 months later...

A few recent ones with the WCL and the X100s.

This is the River Colne, Marsden near Huddersfield.

Hump Back Bridge

Same River, different view.

River Colne

And lastly, Clifton Suspension bridge, taken whilst on a trip to Bristol.

Suspended...........

Clifton Suspension Bridge

Archived