Sign in to follow this  
Patrick

FUJIFILM X100S – AF LOCK NOT WORKING

Patrick

I am new to this camera so may be committing an elementary error; but for me, the AF lock simply does not work. I press the AFL/AEL button (and keep it pressed, along with half-pressing the shutter) having achieved focus; but then the final focus point invariably switches to where I have directed the lens just before fully depressing the shutter.

Has anyone else had this problem? Grateful if anyone could suggest what I might be doing wrong?

K1W1_Mk2

Is the AFL/AEL button set top focus lock or exposure lock on your camera?

K1W1_Mk2

When you say that the final focus point is where you direct the lens to you mean that little square in the viewfinder or the actual point of focus on the final image?

If it's the square in the viewfinder that is normal and every camera that I know of works that way. All that happens when you push the AFL/AEL button is that the camera does not change whatever focus distance it has set at that time.

Patrick

True, thanks. I mean the actual focus point of the final image. I generally use a central focus point. If the AF lock had worked when I swung the viewfinder, this focus point should have been transferred, as it were, to the spot where I had pressed the AFL button. But as revealed by (a) inspection of the image (B) the facility to reveal the focus point in Review mode, the camera ignored AF Lock and refocused on the centre of the final viewfinder image. I'm not explaining this very well, I fear!

Patrick

AF-S. But what I think confused me was that the AFL/AEL screen icon only appeared when the camera was set to either AEL only or AEL/AFL - not when set to AF lock only. Which is logica, I suppose. Using AFL only generates no beep or visual signal.

Anyway I have upgraded the firmware to 1.10 and I think this (plus some experimenting) has helped me to see how better to use the camera within its limitations. Still prefer the Ricoh GR though! Thanks for listening and trying to help.

quoc

I had similar issue.  The reason was face recognition was on.