Sign in to follow this  
trustkill24

Anybody tried an A7?

trustkill24

Just out of curiosity.. Dont worry - I'll never part with my xpro1..

artuk

I don't own one, but I tried one extensively.

For what it's worth, the AF is pretty fast in "good" light (e.g. retail interior lighting generally requiring ISO 400-800 ish), at least as fast or better than the X cameras. EVF is very nice, large and clear, with focus peaking available during AF, and auto enlargement options for MF - much better than the X Pro EVF. I don't like the dial on the rear shoulder, it is recessed slightly which I found hard to turn. It also shows some design stupidity in needing a button press to be able to move the AF point around - though you can use the cursor keys or the front and read wheels to move in the horizontal and vertical plane. Wireless TTL flash support using the Sony system. No anti-shake in camera is a big negative for me (much like X cameras). Shutter sound is quite strident if that kind of thing worries you. Menus were pretty logical and very comprehensive, with a lot of customisation possible. Some things don't have a direct access button (e.g. meter mode) but are accessed from a fairly easy to use "function" menu (Sony SLRs have gone this way too, for example the A99 no longer has a meter mode button and requirs function menu access - though at least with Sony the exposure lock button can be configured to use spot metering when pressed, which significantly negates the need change metering modes as frequently). There seem to be some issues with the A7R shutter causing image blur and affecting some OIS lenses (even Sony NEX ones) - these problems don't seem to apply to the A7. By all accounts it handles wide angle legacy lenses less well for corner sharpness than the A7r, but has less problems with magenta colour casts (the A7R now has an app to allow auto correction of this, much like that built into Leica's). Image quality from the A7 and A7r should be extremely good, based on their sensors.

Overall, a fairly impressive camera which in my opinion handles with more aplomb than the X Pro.

trustkill24

I drove an Austin A7 once. Does that count?

Yup, that counts too.. :-)

gryphon1911

And how was that?? :D

artuk

I think my Grand father had one - though he never owned a Leica. ;-)

Christopher

I went to a trade show yesterday here in Phoenix and was able to handle all of Sony's cameras, including the A7R. As a Fujifilm shooter, I was most impressed by the A7's EVF, it was huge, bright, and very sharp. I hope the EVF in the rumored X-T1 is this good! I also liked Sony's focus peaking implementation compared for Fujifilm's, it was much more clear, the highlights were stronger and primary colored, very easy to spot.

I didn't dig too deep into the menu system, but it was clearly more complex than Fujifilm's. I'm so used to having an aperture ring and shutter speed dial, it took me awhile to get used to the traditional PSAM mode dial and controls. It was all intuitive enough though, easy enough to figure out with a minute of fiddling.

The AF speed was impressive, though I really couldn't test it under any reasonably useful conditions, it was tethered to a showroom display in a convention hall.

K1W1_Mk2

From memory no power, no brakes, no comfort and no quality. Pretty much like all pre WWII British cars. :D

andyfromboston

I don't think you can get a real impression of a camera by using it in a store, even for a long time. That said, I used one in a store for a long time and I could tell by the controls that I wasn't going to love it.

K1W1_Mk2

I used one in a store for a long time and I could tell by the controls that I wasn't going to love it.

That is what you get in stores. If the camera does not feel right in your hands then it probably isn't the camera for you regardless of it's technical proficiency.

andyfromboston

Yeah, I really don't think I can say anything about its AF, sensor quality or even the lenses, based on shooting straps and tripods under fluorescents, but the number of steps in menus to get things done stands out.