Sign in to follow this  
msettanni

23mm quirk?

msettanni

Just purchased a 23mm 1.4 for my X-pro1 and discovered an odd quirk. With the camera and lens set to manual mode, the AE-L AF-L button won't engage auto-focus. Typically with the 35mm and 60mm lenses, when I'm focusing manually I'll use the AE-L AF-L button to back button focus and then fine-tune manually, but bb focusing doesn't work with the 23. Is this normal or am I not doing something?

Davoe

None of the camera focus modes will work while the lense focus ring is in the manual position.

jcx

It's normal. Fuji adopted a different design approach for the 23mm and 14mm lenses with DOF and distance markers and a hard stop focus ring.

mguffin

When I first got my 14mm, I thought there was a problem. Couldn't AF. Display showed MF. Camera was set to AF-S. Hmmm. Changed lenses. AF worked fine. Hmmm. Back to the 14... no AF. I was packing it up to send it back when I noticed the focus ring was in manual position. Thought I was losing my mind...

msettanni

I finally figured that out. . .makes sense I suppose but now I have to set the camera to manual mode while keeping the lens in its autofocus position, focus using the AE-L AF-L button, then switch the lens to manual mode to fine tune the focus. Makes things a little more cumbersome. I guess Fuji figures with the hard-stop focusing ring you can skip the autofocus step, but I'm an old school X-pro1 user. I like the old ways.

jcx

I have found the technique you describe unsuccessful for reasons that will become obvious if you suddenly autofocus on something a different distance away from your last manual focus operation, as the manual focus ring cannot 'follow' what you're up to in autofocus. The two types of operation are independent of one another, so in practice I find if I want to manual focus I skip the AEL/AFL one-touch trick altogether as it actually takes longer and serves no purpose to use auto followed by manual for the same shot.

ShaunM

mguffin.. Thank you my man... i was just about to throw it through the window.

veejaycee

mguffin.. Thank you my man... i was just about to throw it through the window.

Same with the 23mm f1.4. Great system.

slawekk

Sure, sure... but scale on lens is too large for manual prefocus with open aperture.

veejaycee

You wouldn't use a lens as wide as the 14mm f2.8 if you wanted a narrow depth of field and would you really rely on the focus distance scale or depth of field scale on any fast lens wide open? No camera lens ever made had a physical focus scale markings that could be trusted to be exact when employed with a very wide aperture - that is when you should be focusing manually through the viewfinder. The purpose of the scale marking on the lens barrel is more for zone or hyperfocal focusing. Even when the exact markings are used you will find they don't match the distance shown in the Exif info and for anything in-between the distances marked - well it's just guesswork, so how can it be exact?

I suspect you looking for problems that aren't there in the real world my friend.

Petrus

No lens ever made had a physical focus scale markings that could be trusted to be exact when employed with a very wide aperture

Ha! You have never seen a professional cine lens then… Measure the distance with a tape measure, set the distance, voila...

veejaycee

Nope - why should I have seen a professional cine lens - and what has that to do with the price of fish?

Petrus

Might have something to do with exact focus scale markings. Those are the lenses where focus distance marking can, and MUST, be trusted. Thus such lenses do exist.

slawekk

You wouldn't use a lens as wide as the 14mm f2.8 if you wanted a narrow depth of field and would you really rely on the focus distance scale or depth of field scale on any fast lens wide open? No camera lens ever made had a physical focus scale markings that could be trusted to be exact when employed with a very wide aperture - that is when you should be focusing manually through the viewfinder. The purpose of the scale marking on the lens barrel is more for zone or hyperfocal focusing. Even when the exact markings are used you will find they don't match the distance shown in the Exif info and for anything in-between the distances marked - well it's just guesswork, so how can it be exact?

I suspect you looking for problems that aren't there in the real world my friend.

We talk about 23mm lens, not 14mm.

Earlier I used Voigtlander 28/1.9 and 35/1.2 (still use both on Leica). These lenses have much more precise scale between 1m and 5m.... 1 .. 1,2 .. 1,5 .. 2 .. 3 .. 5 and it works for me. This is my real world.

I know, Fuji is autofocus camera and Fuji lenses are autofocus too. I like it (X-pro1) and I use it.

But more precise scale on 23mm would be better for manual prefocus. For me, of course.

Petrus

Practically all modern AF lenses are fly-by-wire in manual focus also for a very good technical reason: Much lighter, thus faster, focus mechanism. Smaller motors, less electricity used. Can not have everything. If one wants a truly responsive, accurate manual focus, one must buy a manual focus lens, which are still made.