Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

"Photography is easy." Really?

The act of taking pictures is really not that difficult. The art of getting a repeatable or desired result is not.

Photography as a profession, is not easy. Taking the "happy snappy" or "selfie" is not that difficult. 99% of all cell phones sold are designed to make getting these snapshots easy. There is a reason that there is a whole segment of cameras on the market called "point and shoots".

Photographers care about all the technical stuff and what goes into making a great image. Everyone else just likes to look.

I think you are taking the "photography is easy" to too far an extreme. At least I believe so because I do not have the same context to the conversation you had with the other party.

People that think that it is easy are the ones that generally do not care about the technical aspects or even "creating" an image. They just want to snap a moment in time and if it is good enough to be discernible, then that is "good enough" for them.

Your camera is a tool so you certainly need to know how to use it. But you don't have to be an electronics engineer or a software developer either. I think I enjoy a happy balance of technical savvy and and a creative aptitude for composition and interesting subject matter.

Professional photographers work as hard at what they do as any professionals. I know a couple "art" photographers who rarely sell work but work equally as hard as any pro. Anyone who says getting stunning images is easy is simply ignorant. It could even be said--probably should be--that the best photographs are the result of obsession. There's nothing casual about masterworks. Keep at it, Olaf.