Sign in to follow this  
svx94

Between weather seal and build-in flash, which one do you prefer (X-T1)

svx94

Somewhat disappointing that the X-T1 because the build-in flash seems give away for the weather seal. Do you prefer this?

richoff

I personally would prefer a built in flash, so much so that I chose the x100 over the xpro1 even tho I really wanted a multi lens system... the x100/s does fill flash so nice, that I'm not sure I would be completely satisfied without one (flash).

ranger

besides, when you have a flash without weather seal, you've got a potential stun-gun!

Christopher

I cannot remember the last time I've ever used the flash on my X100 or my X-E1, but my work never really requires a flash. If I do use a flash, I'm much more inclined to use off camera lighting with a remote flash.

It really just depends on what your needs are. Fujifilm's built in flashes have generally been fantastic for fill flash, but for lighting needs beyond that, they're not the most ideal.

pcg

"besides, when you have a flash without weather seal, you've got a potential stun-gun!"

+1 for great humor

Owtafocus

"besides, when you have a flash without weather seal, you've got a potential stun-gun!"

+1 for great humor

+2!

artuk

Somewhat disappointing that the X-T1 because the build-in flash seems give away for the weather seal. Do you prefer this?

Given a choice, I would prefer a flash - but that is particularly if it can act as a wireless TTL controller, which Fuji lacks. Weather sealing is nice to have in some situations, but with a lens range that is not weather sealed, it's not a major bonus for me.

K1W1_Mk2

The camera has not been officially launched yet. Who knows Fuji may bundle a small flash the way Olympus do. Even if they don't I have plenty of flash units lying around so no having one on the body would not really worry me.

I'm not sure what @Owtafocus does with his flash units but personally I don't (can't in fact) fit my fingers in between the electrical contacts on the camera and the flash and I don't operate my flash with the casing taken apart and exposed wiring or capacitors so I find his comment to basically be stupid. There is really no greater risk if being zapped by a flash in the wet than there is by being zapped by a flash in the dry if you think about it sensibly and don't just want to make sensationalist comments.

artuk

I cannot remember the last time I've ever used the flash on my X100 or my X-E1, but my work never really requires a flash. If I do use a flash, I'm much more inclined to use off camera lighting with a remote flash.

It really just depends on what your needs are. Fujifilm's built in flashes have generally been fantastic for fill flash, but for lighting needs beyond that, they're not the most ideal.

To quote Lumiquest, "flash is the most available light". There's nothing wrong with on camera fill flash, and off camera TTL can be used to create wonderful and easy lighting - but alas wireless TTL is still missing (but Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, and I think the "big two" have it).

jonasbg

I would prefer weather sealing over flash. If you need on-camera flash, you got all the other X cameras except X-Pro1. If you would like weather sealing you only got the X-T1.

Its the same on the X-Pro1. I needed flash, I bought the EF-X20 used. Flash can be bought, weather sealing is not that easy to buy.

richoff

Flash can be bought, weather sealing is not that easy to buy.

You are so right... I'm a fair weather dude so I'll take the flash

:D

boulevardier

Plastic covers are available if you really have to use your camera in the wet. Built in flash is useful for fill in lighting, an external flash nearly always expands a camera's dimensions sufficiently to leave mine at home.

bashar

Neither! I don't shoot under the rain, and most built in flashes are lame at best "with the X-100/s being the exception"... I would choose the lighter body, or whatever feels better in your hand?! :)

artuk

Plastic covers are available if you really have to use your camera in the wet. Built in flash is useful for fill in lighting, an external flash nearly always expands a camera's dimensions sufficiently to leave mine at home.

...and in my experience, the time you really need it, you forget to put it in your bag that day! I hate the current fashion for tiny slip on flash guns that are basically a pop up flash on a stick - for the sake of a small increase in camera dimensions, I can't understand why anyone would NOT want it built it (especially the consumer end of the CSC market, where lack of flash still prevails).

bashar

I never used that tiny flash on the top of the XE-1, the cheap plastic pop up seemed like a dent on top of a classic body., always wished it was not there!

pcg

We're discussing something totally out of our hands. Fuji is deep into production of the camera they designed. Like it, buy it. Don't like it, move on. There are myriad choices and luckily we aren't slaves to Fuji's year to year design decisions.

gryphon1911

I don't like on camera flash that much. When I had my X-E1, I never used it.

So for me weather sealing is a better selling point.

ericspix

Weather seal. Hands Down. No doubt about it. Fuji is so close with the XT1 to making my Nikons 100% obsolete for daily professional use. Weather sealing is necessary. Not to many pros will see a built in flash as to much of upside.

ericspix

Weather seal. Hands Down. No doubt about it. Fuji is so close with the XT1 to making my Nikons 100% obsolete for daily professional use. Weather sealing is necessary. Not to many pros will see a built in flash as to much of upside.

MakoyX

+1 wheather sealing. i don't mind having a pop up flash or not as long it has a hot shoe that i can shoot wirelessly im good with that.

artuk

We're discussing something totally out of our hands. Fuji is deep into production of the camera they designed. Like it, buy it. Don't like it, move on. There are myriad choices and luckily we aren't slaves to Fuji's year to year design decisions.

I think some of us are discussing why so many manufacturers seem to think the equivalent of a pop up flash is best supplied as a separate add on. I think for a lot of cameras and buyers, it doesn't really make sense: which consumer buying an NEX-3 or Pen Mini wants to have to carry around and screw on some tiny "flash gun" when they need a bit of fill? It's not a complaint, so you don't need to be quite so confrontational, but given the choice, I would always prefer a camera to have a flash than not have a flash built in. The minor reduction in body size to remove a pop up flash just doesn't seem worth it - but then the Nikon J1/S1 series are as small as any CSC and do have a flash built in, so go figure... I wonder if it's more "fashion" led than for any other reason. Perhaps some consumers like having a little tiny flash gun in the box with their new pocket CSC.

MarcoDebiasi

Both! And I think that with some good design a flash in its retracted position should be just as weather-sealable as a lens or a memory-card/battery door is. Of course, one may not expect to maintain the weather seal with the flash extended from the body (nor I would expect it with a removed lens or an open door). Just my wish/suggestion for the next camera. ;)

gryphon1911

And my other Captain Obvious point of the day....

I can add a flash after the fact quite easily, it would take considerable knowledge or be not possible at all to add weather sealing to a product later.

pcg

@artuk: "I think some of us are discussing why so many manufacturers seem to think the equivalent of a pop up flash is best supplied as a separate add on."

Agreed. I stand corrected. But these wandering, speculative threads do eventually drive me crazy. Seems a grand opportunity for all of us to let out a bunch of gas, and at the end, nothing's been accomplished.

Then again, that IS how most real life conversations end, right? I fall on my sword.

phrehdd

This would be a lot easier to answer if this was a film camera. I would take the weather sealed as the flash built into the Fuji X cameras are anemic at best. However, given the availability for higher ISO, they suffice. The new T1 comes with a small flash that "flips up" for use but has a guide number of 11 which honestly is pathetic for this caliber of camera though at higher ISO, its okay for mild fill flash.