Sign in to follow this  
bashar

World's fastest AF speed AGAIN?!?!

bashar

I hate to be the party pooper, but this tune sounds so familiar "World's fastest AF speed"... :^o

Christopher

They're advertising the same speed as the X-E2 it seems, which is much faster than previous cameras, but didn't exactly blow people away.

Fujifilm really likes these bold statements with asterisks attached. It's a weird marketing thing.

K1W1_Mk2

Based on the limited evidence on @flysurfers first look review I'm sceptical about its performance in real world use. The subjects picked to demonstrate AF tracking all subjects moving relatively slowy in predicatable paths. I want to see how the AF works on things moving quickly and randomly before I'm convinced one way or the other.

At least Olympus used a galloping horse for their EM-1 demo even though it was at maximum focus distance (clever that, not one reviewer mentioned that point).

artuk

They're advertising the same speed as the X-E2 it seems, which is much faster than previous cameras, but didn't exactly blow people away.

Fujifilm really likes these bold statements with asterisks attached. It's a weird marketing thing.

Yet again reviews of the X100s and X-E2 state that the AF speed is "ok" in good light, but slows down and is less reliable in lower contrast lighting, and behind some competition (Olympus and Panasonic are generally mentioned).

Slap on one of the original primes like the 35mm or 60mm and it won't be world fastest anything, no matter how many asterisks you put after it...

I see Fuji claim fastest with APS-C or bigger - so the AF is faster than any APS-C or full frame SLR you choose to compare it to? Err.. right.

boulevardier

I shall need to see a few comparative tests before believing the faster ever business. Ditto the 0.005 lag time on the EVF which should be undetectable to the human eye, or real time in practice. Not saying it ain't true but figures tend to fall flat when meeting real life photography.

artuk

I shall need to see a few comparative tests before believing the faster ever business. Ditto the 0.005 lag time on the EVF which should be undetectable to the human eye, or real time in practice. Not saying it ain't true but figures tend to fall flat when meeting real life photography.

AS with all this kind of statistic, it depends what you measure. They all do it - but I think the AF calim is just stupid based on Fuji's track record and the fact that I think the user experience will be anything but worlds fastest when used in the "wrong" type of lighting with the "wrong" lens.

pominpocket

I find the fixed lens on the X100S plenty fast. But when I grab my XE1 with 35mm 1.4 and put it on 1.4 and then really up the ISO I find it hunts for focus in a poorly lit room. And then I glance at the shutter speed the camera has chosen and its normally on about 8 or 15th of a second. So I have a fast lens with high ISO set and I will still get camera shake.

Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way. And I have not tried XE2 yet

artuk

I find the fixed lens on the X100S plenty fast. But when I grab my XE1 with 35mm 1.4 and put it on 1.4 and then really up the ISO I find it hunts for focus in a poorly lit room. And then I glance at the shutter speed the camera has chosen and its normally on about 8 or 15th of a second. So I have a fast lens with high ISO set and I will still get camera shake.

That's why Fuji should either add anti-shake to their prime lenses, or put in the body on the sensor. Any benefit the X Trans sensor may have will be undone by the need to bump the ISO 1-2 EV to get a decent shutter speed, when other systems can do it at lower ISO with anti-shake. In my opinion, it will become an increasing competitive disadvantage for available light photography.

Crikey

Perhaps Fuji is on track to be the world's slowest camera manufacturer to offer in- body anti-shake as a standard option. The XT1 could have been a good opportunity to make a statement about that, but it wasn't taken up. ( I appreciate that some purists object to anti-shake, but that's a purist luxury that's commercially supported by the spending of non- purists.)

artuk

Perhaps Fuji is on track to be the world's slowest camera manufacturer to offer in- body anti-shake as a standard option. The XT1 could have been a good opportunity to make a statement about that, but it wasn't taken up. ( I appreciate that some purists object to anti-shake, but that's a purist luxury that's commercially supported by the spending of non- purists.)

Minolta, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic and Pentax have it in body, and excellent it is too!

The "big 2" don't have in body, and are slowly rolling out prime lenses with OIS inside, usually at high retail cost.

Granted mirrorless cameras have less recoil than SLRs, so it can be easier to hand hold at marginal shutter speeds (1/focal length and below), but the benefits of stabilisation with every lens should not be underestimated. Needing to ramp up the ISO to maintain shutter speed undermines image quality and undermines the claimed benefits of the X Trans sensor or APS-C over m43rds etc.

artuk

Its marketing! Take it with a pinch of salt.

I think we all know it - but all know what Fuji cameras AF has been like to date. Claiming it will be faster than a D7100, 70D, or even a 1Dx just seems silly.

veejaycee

Step out of the coal cellar David. There is a limit to how much light can reach the sensor regardless of camera/lens.

At the shutter speeds you mention using inside a room (1/8, 1/15), any subject movement would result in blur. If the subject does not move then you can preserve the atmosphere of ambient light by using a tripod but if there is subject movement sometimes you have to admit defeat and use alternative lighting such as bounced flash maybe on reduced power and diffused.

I regard the OIS as useful when I'm on walkabout especially with longer FLs and part of the reason I bought into the system was to take handheld photos in low light but if I'm out on a serious shoot then I consider a tripod my friend. Wide aperture lenses help but at the cost of limited DoF whether you want that limit or not. High ISO is more useful imo (to a point obv) and allows you more choice as to DoF and shutter speed. Add a tripod and more options still are open to you.

Vic.

artuk

ISO 3200 f1.4 1/8s IS seriously low light! I agree a different strategy may work better - a tripod for static things, a flash for moving things.

bashar

Looks like sony has beaten Fuji with 'the worlds fastest autofocus camera'....when will the world fastest marekting junk stop!

Alpha6000

“With the world’s fastest autofocus system1, the ability to capture a blazing 11 frames per second and a 24.3 MP sensor, the new α6000 rivals even the best DSLRs in the market today in terms of performance, and does this in half of the size and weight at an extremely attractive price point,” said Neal Manowitz, director of the alpha interchangeable lens camera division at Sony. “It’s an ideal choice for photo enthusiasts eager to ‘go light’ and take their photography to the next level.”

pominpocket

Step out of the coal cellar David. There is a limit to how much light can reach the sensor regardless of camera/lens.

At the shutter speeds you mention using inside a room (1/8, 1/15), any subject movement would result in blur. If the subject does not move then you can preserve the atmosphere of ambient light by using a tripod but if there is subject movement sometimes you have to admit defeat and use alternative lighting such as bounced flash maybe on reduced power and diffused.

I regard the OIS as useful when I'm on walkabout especially with longer FLs and part of the reason I bought into the system was to take handheld photos in low light but if I'm out on a serious shoot then I consider a tripod my friend. Wide aperture lenses help but at the cost of limited DoF whether you want that limit or not. High ISO is more useful imo (to a point obv) and allows you more choice as to DoF and shutter speed. Add a tripod and more options still are open to you.

Vic.

I do not want to fix a tripod on the camera when ever i want to take a quick shot in my poorly lit coal cellar. I do not mind using a flash I suppose should try more light sources. Like window light. The little x10 had image stablisation come to think of it.

EternalHope

@Pom - You must be in some seriously darkly lit environments! I shoot in low light often, but I was just testing the 23mm at 1.4 and iso at 2500 and it still chose a shutter speed of 1/30. That's not bad in my opinion. A moving subject obviously that's a huge fail, but my cat stayed still and so did I, and while I probably wouldn't blow the print up huge or anything, it did the job.

EternalHope

Also, as a side comment, after getting my hands on the 23mm I think that the AF speed is very much a product of the lens. The 23 in low light conditions locks faster than the x100s.