Sign in to follow this  
gk03

Fujifilm X10 Filter Size

gk03

I have not handled the either the camera or the hood. Waiting for delivery of my pre order.

However the adapter ring/hood setup does not appear to meet my needs. Hood will block OVF and the 52mm filter will not seal the front element. Has anyone found a suitable filter for their X10. Is the filter size 39.5 or 40mm.

My shooting style is to never use lens caps. Removal slows down shooting. Just attach a filter to protect the lens and go have some fun.

cooloregon

Owners manual has 52mm filters with the use of the adapter ring. You might need to use live view when using the lens hood if it blocks the OVF?

Christopher

Fujifilm has confirmed that the internal threads are 39.5mm, not an industry standard size. The front lens element doesn't seem to move during focusing like it does on the X100, so it should be possible to attach a filter directly to the front. Perhaps some company will make a simple step up ring to attach a 40.5mm or 43mm filter.

feng_zhao

That's strange. Apparently this person was able to fit a filter on to his x10 ( Fujifilm X10 with Marumi 40.5mm filter & tripod mount Gordy strap)

As he states in the description it's a Marumi filter, and according to their official site their filters only come in 37, 40.5, 46, 49, 52, 55, and 58mm. Is it possible that a 40.5 would fit without a step up ring?

Christopher have you tried fitting a filter on it yourself? It appears that you already have the camera.

Christopher

Welcome to the community @epitope! Unfortunately I do not have access to a 40.5 filter to test its fit, but that is definitely the size of the filter in this Flickr photo, as the Olympus PEN 14-42mm uses 40.5mm filters.

Fujifilm X10 with Marumi filter & tripod mount Gordy strap

I'll try to stop by a local camera shop soon and dig through their used filter bin to test the fit.

HeavyDuty

I have a "tilted" style 40.5mm hood on the way - I'm hoping it will both fit and not vignette.

HeavyDuty

Will do! Should know by the end of the week - if it doesn't work out, I'm only out $12.

markuk

I would also be interested to hear if the filter fits. I received the Fuji Filter Adaptor and Hood today - the camera arrived last week.

I have placed the adaptor ring on the lens and then put the 52mm Filter on - it seems weird as there are holes on the back of the adaptor which would allow dust, grit etc to get between the filter and the main camera lens - strange way to design something . The X100 adaptor at least sealed the lens and filter together.

Any thoughts?

DArmand

I've just received the adaptor/hood and and while it's very nice it does have one major/minor flaw - using a 52mm filter doesn't fully protect the front element.

I have posted some pix and info that explains it a bit better on my blog - don't worry my blog is ad free :)

Fuji X10 Lenshood/Adaptor

Christopher

Thanks for sharing @DArmand! I was curious to see the lens hood separated from the adaptor ring - how do they connect to each other? Is the lens hood threaded onto the adaptor ring, or does it have a bayonet mount?

@markuk, I suspect we'll have to wait for a 3rd party adaptor ring solution, or verify that 40.5mm filters fit.

DArmand

Thanks for sharing @DArmand! I was curious to see the lens hood separated from the adaptor ring - how do they connect to each other? Is the lens hood threaded onto the adaptor ring, or does it have a bayonet mount?

@markuk, I suspect we'll have to wait for a 3rd party adaptor ring solution, or verify that 40.5mm filters fit.

Threads on all. Feels like it all has to be handled carefully - not sure how tough it is. Does look damn sexy though so maybe worth it? :^)

There are some talks going on at DPReview about the correct filter size - someone has confirmed using a 40mm bought on eBay. I'd prefer a 'quality' filter like B+W myself but have only seen those in 40.5mm so will have to wait some brave soul confirming it for us.

Doug

gk03

fujifilm x10 in one hand. 40.5mm tiffen brand UV filter in the other. Houston we have a problem. It's too big. Will go on the hunt today to try a 39.5 or a 40mm.

feng_zhao

That's interesting and sad. I just ordered a 40.5mm filter on ebay. Now I'm wondering how that guy got his to fit on his camera.

HeavyDuty

From what I'm seeing some 40.5mm filters fit - one poster (on DPR?) was able to mount a Hoya.

gk03

There were postings from "phatguido" on a dpreview x10 filter thread.

I believe he stated his filter, sourced in Hong Kong, was an old Hoya 40mm.

DArmand

Just received a Marumi 40mm UV Filter and it fits fine.The lens hood also fits onto this but was a bit fiddly threading - I suspect the lens mount is 39.5mm but the 40mm filter fits but then the adaptor is also 39.5 and has to be coaxed onto the 40mm Filter. Still once on it seems fine. Testing shows almost no vignetting even with Full Hood/Adaptor assembly on and lens wide open. There is very slight vgnetting at left side - I doubt it would be noticeable in a normal shot.

I did some test shots but I cannot for the life of me get links to images to work on this site - is there a magic forumla?

For info I purchased the filter via eBay.

HeavyDuty

No joy with the American Eagle 40.5mm tilted hood - it won't even start threading unlike the Sunpak brand 40.5mm skylight filter I tried yesterday. Now I have a Heavystar 40mm > 43mm step-up ring inbound to try.

DrRon

Hi DArmand,

I'd love to find that Marumi 40mm filter but my search on eBay doesn't turn anything up.

Could you share the seller's link please?

Thanks,

Ron

DrRon

Was it this one from UK?

Real Camera 40mm Marumi Filter

If so they are sold out. I chatted with them via email and they said they used to sell 2 a month but sold 14 last week!

They are special ordering 100 more but expect it to take a couple of months to get them.