Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

X-T1 Wifi Smartphone Remote Demo

flysurfer

It's a very nice start with plenty of room for improvement with regards to additional features and full control of everything. Luckily, it's all software, so no new hardware will be required to make it work. All it will take are plenty of users writing to Fuji asking for such features.

I hope that the other wifi-enabled X cameras will also get remote control via a firmware update later this year.

shotage

I too hope that this functionality will come via firmware, for the X-E2. Thanks for posting.

DanBailey

I used the remote app quite a bit during my Iceland trip last week and I can attest that it works quite well. I was not always in a place where I could do regular photo editing, so I used the app to quickly edit and import select images to my iPhone, where I could then share/email/post on the fly.

I'm really impressed with the remote feature on the app. Haven't tested out the range yet, but played around with it a bit and like that you can change just about every single camera parameter, even focus, then trip the shutter and import your image.

@shortage, it's my understanding that this app will eventually be compatible with any of the WiFi enabled X cameras.

I am curious as to how much lag there is between the viewfinder display and the shutter.

If this feature is given to the X-A1, I'd be tempted to use one to build into a portable photo booth for events.

DanBailey

@Christopher, there's a tiny lag, but it's really not bad at all. It's certainly fast enough for a photo booth and other general use. I did a booth this summer at a friend's wedding with his Sony NEX-6 and it worked great. That was before Fuji put WiFi in their cameras. Now us Fuji guys can get in on all the fun!

K1W1_Mk2

I wonder how long it will be before we can run a truly remote app via IP. I guess that would require a SIM card inside the camera or at least a dongle of some sort that connected via USB.

Can this app support multiple cameras simultaneously?

EternalHope

I for one am very excited about this feature, some consider it boyish but I think it'll be very useful both for snapshots as well as for more serious photographic work!

DanBailey

Exactly! It's essentially an electronic cable release with the benefit of added preview, import and sharing functions.

EternalHope

For my job, being able to share an image with someone right after it is taken is a huge huge benefit.

K1W1_Mk2

I'm just interested in being able to set a camera up on a tripod in a stream or some other difficult;t to access place then being able to control if from a relatively safe or at least dry place.

phrehdd

The "unit' where the additional battery is attached at the bottom of the camera would be a good place to add some smart hardware for this type of camera as well as for a future X-E3. There are multiple means of wireless that Fuji can explore ranging from WiFi, Bluetooth, IR etc.

Having the ability to do multiple files of the same subject with multiple focus points and sandwich would be a natural for hands off camera control as well as HDR proper.