Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

Fuji X-T1 Viewfinder Size Comparison

Christopher

Fujifilm X-T1 electronic viewfinder size comparison

Expert Reviews has posted their review of the new Fuji X-T1, which shows the first viewfinder size comparison I've come across. This is a considerable size improvement over the X-E1/2, and it's impressive to see it is even larger than the full frame Nikon D800!

artuk

Rather different from the viewfinder size comparison here on DPReview, which shows it slightly larger than an Olympus OM-D EM-1 (which is in 4:3 aspect ratio), but about the same size as a Canon 1Dx. The Sony A900 had one of the largest viewfinders fitted to an SLR, and I think is similar to a Canon 1Ds/x. I'm surprised by the D800 in the representation above, since it has a view finder size only slightly smaller than a 1D (x0.7 compared to x0.76), Sony x0.74, X-T1 x0.77. The OM-D Em-5 has a x0.58 which seems fairly typical for most APS-C SLR viewfinders, give or take.

Of course, the resolution is very similar to almost all recent EVFs, so I'm not sure if it will look grainier due to the higher magnification?

DanBailey

In bright light, you see very little grain in the X-T1 viewfinder, it's surprisingly sharp and clear. Of course, in really dim light, you see lots of grain, but that's to be expected. You'll get that with any camera.

jac

but visually larger on the X-T1, with a higher magnification (0.77)

So that means it's actually physically larger? or magnified in some way to be visually larger?

artuk

It is the same resolution but visually larger on the X-T1, with a higher magnification (0.77)

x0.77 vs x.071 I believe?

It's probably the same LCD panel (in the EVF), it's just the Fuji one is magnified to be slightly larger by the glass elements in the viewfinder.

artuk

In bright light, you see very little grain in the X-T1 viewfinder, it's surprisingly sharp and clear. Of course, in really dim light, you see lots of grain, but that's to be expected. You'll get that with any camera.

Thanks.

XGA resolution is not actually terribly high (about 1000 by 700 pixels, times 3 for the RGB colours)

I was wondering if the more the magnify it, the more possibility there is to see the dot structure (like looking at any LCD display at close quarters) - I wasn't thinking about the noise caused by high ISO etc.

allineedsislight

What I especially like is the new design for the distance scale. It is much lighter and less intrusive than on other X cameras.

As I am often in manual focus mode I really wish that Fuji would backport this redesigned distance scale to older cameras. For example, on the x100 the distance scale really blocks a lot of the lower third part of the image.

artuk

Kai on DRTV said its bigger than a FF VF.

It appears to be about the same as pro spec full frame cameras like the EOS 1D and slightly larger than models such as the Canon 5D, Sony A99, A900/850 etc. I am actually surprised at the magnification of the Nikon viewfinders - they are not especially large for full frame cameras.

I still remember the first time I ever looked through a full frame DSLR viewfinder, I believe a Nikon D3S, my jaw dropped. I was shooting with a Canon Rebel T2i back then, puny by comparison. I am so curious to see the X-T1.

richheath

I miss the viewfinder on my old OM1n - if the X-T1 is anything like that then I'm sold! Alas I believe that had 0.92x magnification, so the new Fuji can't quite live up to a little SLR from the 70s! Ah well...

K1W1_Mk2

Kai on DRTV said its bigger than a FF VF.

Kai on DRTV says a lot of things many of which people should probably disregard. :D

boulevardier

Maybe be but Id rather a day of Kai than an hour of brick walls.

Absolutely. I find his cynicism around all new cameras to be refreshing, even if his potty talk is juvenile.

mattmaber

I just find his reviews more useful (despite or with the potty talk) than highly technical reviews - lets face it, most cameras from £200 to £20k produce decent images if you use them properly. Arguing the barrel distortion on brick walls,or pixel peeping when they'll invariably end up on Facebook is not the most useful of past times.

boulevardier

I just find his reviews more useful (despite or with the potty talk) than highly technical reviews - lets face it, most cameras from £200 to £20k produce decent images if you use them properly. Arguing the barrel distortion on brick walls,or pixel peeping when they'll invariably end up on Facebook is not the most useful of past times.

Kai is good at finding the flaws in all cameras, which is useful information if your style of shooting coincides with the camera's deficiency. He's not afraid to upset manufacturers even though he basically works for a shop. As for lines per millimetre and edge definition, they're among the last things on my shopping list so long as the thing turns on and focuses quick.

karinatwork

We are talking about the X-T1's viewfinder, and not the X-M1?

Someone really should correct that.