Sign in to follow this  
karinatwork

Finally a Fuji X-T1 review worth reading...

karinatwork

And I quote: "The detachable grip might as well be shaped like a penis, because when attached it announces to the world that the photographer holding the X-T1 is serious about photography but also potent and virile and has more than his share of chest hair. Oh yeah, and it also helps shooting portraits, not that it’s really needed what with that comparatively lightweight prime stuck on there. But after a certain age most penises aren’t needed either, are they, yet they continue to hang around."

Funny. :) Keep reading here.

artuk

And I quote: "The detachable grip might as well be shaped like a penis, because when attached it announces to the world that the photographer holding the X-T1 is serious about photography but also potent and virile and has more than his share of chest hair. Oh yeah, and it also helps shooting portraits, not that it’s really needed what with that comparatively lightweight prime stuck on there. But after a certain age most penises aren’t needed either, are they, yet they continue to hang around."

I think it was linked to from here the other week, as I remember reading it before.

The comment about vertical grips amused me no end - there is nothing I like more when traveling than seeing some dorky Canon user lugging around a massive APS-C SLR with a huge grip permanently attached (usually walking around town in bright light with a 70-200 F2.8 telezoom, because it's a "professional" lens).

edit: as an aside, it mentions the "faux" prism hump. DPReview in their round-up of Fuji at the Japanese trade show last week showed a photo of the parts in the EVF, which included 3 large glass elements to produce the required magnification of the very small EVF panel. I don't think the "hump" is purely cosmetic. Shame they couldn't have stuck a flash on it too.

K1W1_Mk2

I think it was linked to from here the other week, as I remember reading it before.

Yes it was a couple of weeks ago.

Shame they couldn't have stuck a flash on it too.

In some ways I think the solution that they have gone with might be okay. It certainly puts the actual flash further away from the lens.

artuk

Shame they couldn't have stuck a flash on it too.

In some ways I think the solution that they have gone with might be okay. It certainly puts the actual flash further away from the lens.

That's true - on smaller cameras, there is often the problem of getting lens shadow with pop up flash. The issue of being too close to the lens axis is also mentioned, but I've never found this to be a problem personally. My dislike with these tiny flash guns is that it is something else to have to remember to carry, and inevitably forget on the very day you need it. I don't like leaving them on the camera when in the bag, as they run the risk of damaging the hot shoe if they snag on things etc. I honestly think it is to some extent a "fashion" led piece of styling on some mirrorless cameras, since most are quite large enough to accommodate a front panel or pop up flash (a Nikon J1 is tiny, and still has a very neat pop up flash, as so the latest NEX models). I think it makes inexperienced buyers feel more "professional" in some way.

K1W1_Mk2

I think it makes inexperienced buyers feel more "professional" in some way.

All those Canon and Nikon owners who have their DSLRs in auto mode and even in bright sunshine at the Soccer field on Saturday morning the flash pops up and fires as they take a shot of Johnny kicking the ball 50 metres away. :D

pcg

We're beginning to sound a bit snide. These dudes are all keeping Can/Nik in biz. It's all okay, however humorous.

pominpocket

Pop up flash is very ussful. It's small and neat and you do not need to pack it

At least the soccer mums and dads try and buy the gear to take their kids soccer shots. Probably do not have time to read the manual. Pop up flash makes a good trigger too

arnold_w

I'm glad it has no pop-up flash. When you're realy serious about flash photography you don't want to rely on a fancy popping flash. I think it's a good idea to add this little flash as a separate device for those who realy need it at some moment. It takes no space in your bag and you don't need separate batteries and a charger. 99,9% of the time i'll be using a camera without the need of a flash because i'm a available light photographer in the first place and do not like artificial light. For the very occasional moments I can pop on the extra flash. And what's even more important, the flash sits higher above the camera than a build-in-pop-up-flash, so no shading from bigger lenses and less chance of red eyes.

artuk

We're beginning to sound a bit snide. These dudes are all keeping Can/Nik in biz. It's all okay, however humorous.

It's not just Canon and Nikon - pretty much every pocket camera I have ever seen will fire the flash when it's inappropriate - including models from Fuji I suspect. I don't really see it as a "benefit" for not having a flash, however.

As for them not being "professional flash", there are times when a little bit of fill in flash will transform a picture, and the pop up flash on SLR cameras is quite capable of delivering that. On Sony/Minolta cameras, the pop up flash can also act as a wireless TTL flash controller. In the end, if you need it, any flash is better than none at all.

Finally, how is this tiny little Fuji flash gun any better or more professional that having the same thing built into the camera? It's about the same guide number, and has no extra functionality in any way that I can see?

boulevardier

Pop up flash is invaluable. The alternative is to continually walk round with a huge flash attached to a compact camera - and what's the point of a Fuji if you're going to do that? - or no flash and no fill in light.

Pop up flashes aren't intended to fill a stadium, they're get out of jail light when the conditions are too murky, or you want to balance bright sun. They do those jobs brilliantly.

pominpocket

I'm glad it has no pop-up flash. When you're realy serious about flash photography you don't want to rely on a fancy popping flash. I think it's a good idea to add this little flash as a separate device for those who realy need it at some moment. It takes no space in your bag and you don't need separate batteries and a charger. 99,9% of the time i'll be using a camera without the need of a flash because i'm a available light photographer in the first place and do not like artificial light. For the very occasional moments I can pop on the extra flash. And what's even more important, the flash sits higher above the camera than a build-in-pop-up-flash, so no shading from bigger lenses and less chance of red eyes.

Does this extra flash that uses no batteries come with the camera ? I mean as part of the package ?

pominpocket

I

I find this penis reference deeply offensive. I mean these older things hanging around have a lot to teach these new cocks on the block. That's why I use a retro camera .

artuk

Does this extra flash that uses no batteries come with the camera ? I mean as part of the package ?

One of my bugbears about a small flash gun I have to use with my Sony A850 (which has no pop up flash because it's "professional") is that even if I do remember to pack it, on occasion it goes flat because it somehow gets turned on in my bag, and is flat when you want to use it! Grrrrr. having a simple pop up flash is a much simpler option - I don't care about red-eye, nor have I found it a problem with most SLRs, and if well designed it can be tall enough to not create lens shade on all but the longest or fattest lenses. In wireless TTL systems, the pop up flash on the camera can control the wireless set up, and does not require the owner to buy another flash gun for this.

I appreciate some people don't like flash - that's fine with me - but because someone doesn't like flash hardly seems like a reason to deny it of those people who do find use for it!

mattmaber

AFAIK this flash doesnt use batteries. Given the choice, Id say this is better. Its further away from the lens and if you dont plan to use a flash, who cares.

artuk

I found this comparison quite interesting. There are a few technical comments that show some lack of technical understanding, but it was an interesting read.

Of course, as with all blogs, it probably should be treated as potentially free marketing for Fuji paid for by giving away a free camera.

K1W1_Mk2

AFAIK this flash doesnt use batteries. Given the choice, Id say this is better. Its further away from the lens and if you dont plan to use a flash, who cares.

The flash uses an extra pin that is on the X-T1 hot shoe to take power from the camera batteries. Every single review of the X-T1 I have read has mentioned this I am surprised that it's not common knowledge amongst those who claim that they are interested in buying the product.

mattmaber

of course that will inevitably mean complaints about the battery life

artuk

The flash uses an extra pin that is on the X-T1 hot shoe to take power from the camera batteries. Every single review of the X-T1 I have read has mentioned this I am surprised that it's not common knowledge amongst those who claim that they are interested in buying the product.

I assume that's why it's stated that the flash shipped with the X-T1 is incompatible with all the other X cameras?

K1W1_Mk2

It will fit the hotshoe but it won't fire because the power connector is missing on other cameras. It will be interesting to see if Fuji go this route with things like the X-E3 or Xpro-2 if it ever eventuates.

In some ways it would be an easy decision because they could simply make one flash that would work with multiple cameras and it would free up space inside the bodies for dare I say it bigger batteries.

mattmaber

Hmm, i guess the choice is standardise (which makes sense) or not if theres a dramatic expense to adding this connector.

You'd think that they'd be better off bulk buying loads of these connectors just for economies of sale but maybe not have the pin active in all cameras?

pominpocket

I have read a lot of reviews and have not yet gleaned this information nor have I seen any you tube unboxing videos.