Sign in to follow this  
MiguelIglesias

Anyone have a Samsung Note3 and can't connect to the X-T1

MiguelIglesias

I don't know if it's my camera, my smartphone or me...

I've read and reread how to do this and tried over and over again. Camera Remote App recognizes the camera, but the camera never gives me the option to confirm the smartphone. Eventually the X-T1 times out and gives me a not found error. Anybody else having trouble connecting with the Camera Remote App, specifically with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3?

cgeorges

I used the Photo Receiver app with a Galaxy 2 and it worked for transfering files. The other app called Camera Application did not work. There was no Remote app on google store.

MiguelIglesias

Of course I'm not interested in transferring files (and the PC doesn't use the Camera remote app if I mislead someone in my previous post). It's the remote control, one of my main reasons to upgrade, that I really would like to get working.

gryphon1911

I think it might be a Samsung thing. I cannot get any of my wireless cameras to connect to my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

I can get all of then to connect to my Motorola Moto X, though. If you search around the Android/Samsung forums, it is a pretty well documented issue.

I have been able to get them to connect wrote with an OTG cable.

MiguelIglesias

Thanks gyphon1911. I'm suspecting it may be on the Samsung Note 3 side (or some Fuji/Samsung incompatibility). Further investigation on the phone's WIFI settings shows it's dropping the connection because the "connection is too slow."

I have a Note 8 as well and will try that tomorrow. If it doesn't work, it will be very very disappointing. Not enough to make we want to return the X-T1 that I just got on Saturday. Other than this issue, I'm loving it! I was really looking forward to the remote control feature.

artuk

I think it might be a Samsung thing. I cannot get any of my wireless cameras to connect to my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

I can get all of then to connect to my Motorola Moto X, though. If you search around the Android/Samsung forums, it is a pretty well documented issue.

I have been able to get them to connect wrote with an OTG cable.

It's one of the major problems with the Android platform - the enormous number of different hardware and OS builds creates many issues for App compatibility. Google places responsibility for this with either the hardware vendor for the build, and the App developer for the installed software.

Hope you manage to get it resolved - though if it needs Samsung to update anything, it may not be very high on their priority list. It may be a Fuji App problem, in which case there may be more hope of them fixing it. The Fuji software does not strike me as very mature in it's implementation, so there is probably the chance of updates later to improve it.

gryphon1911

Its not so much a "Android" problem as it is the non-Nexus or non-stock ROM companies change core parts of the OS without care for the ramifications to the end user. There are ways around it and the Android dev community is very responsive to situations like this. There will be a fix for it eventually.

artuk

Its not so much a "Android" problem as it is the non-Nexus or non-stock ROM companies change core parts of the OS without care for the ramifications to the end user. There are ways around it and the Android dev community is very responsive to situations like this. There will be a fix for it eventually.

Android is supplied to hardware vendors as effectively a "development kit" for them to customise for their device - so essentially there is no "vanilla" build, since it's not intended to be deployed with tailoring to the hardware.

One company shipped a free App to analyse the hardware and OS build of Android devices, and with several hundred thousand installations, they found over 8000 discrete builds - which is a significant issue for application developers. There is no such thing as "vanilla" Android - even the Nexus versions will be tailored.

gryphon1911

Android is supplied to hardware vendors as effectively a "development kit" for them to customise for their device - so essentially there is no "vanilla" build, since it's not intended to be deployed with tailoring to the hardware.

One company shipped a free App to analyse the hardware and OS build of Android devices, and with several hundred thousand installations, they found over 8000 discrete builds - which is a significant issue for application developers. There is no such thing as "vanilla" Android - even the Nexus versions will be tailored.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

artuk

Gryphon, regardless of whether or not you agree with me on the concept of a "vanilla" Android device, analysis that shows over 8000 different combinations of hardware and OS builds demonstrates the problem that App developers face. Best case - the Fuji app isn't well written and needs a fix - middle case Samsung have an OS compatibility issue that needs a patch - worst case its a hardware fault or a basic incompatibility with the Fuji App and the hardware build.

MiguelIglesias

Good news! Though I still can't connect with the Note 3, I can connect with the Note 8! So I have a means to remote control the X-T1. Yippie! I'll need to investigate more with the Note 3 and see if there's some fix/workaround, or if I just have to wait and see if and when the next Note 3 firmware upgrade or Fuji's firmware upgrade will fix the problem.

Gryphon, regardless of whether or not you agree with me on the concept of a "vanilla" Android device, analysis that shows over 8000 different combinations of hardware and OS builds demonstrates the problem that App developers face. Best case - the Fuji app isn't well written and needs a fix - middle case Samsung have an OS compatibility issue that needs a patch - worst case its a hardware fault or a basic incompatibility with the Fuji App and the hardware build.

artuk, I agree with both you and gryphon1911. The numbers in the analysis might be somewhat misleading as far as the conclusions one can draw from it. Though your final conclusion for best/worst case is very reasonable. As an early adopter of android devices, and using android devices from many manufacturers (Asus, Motorola, HP and Samsung), this has been the first time i've found a serious incompatibility issue that affects me, there are certainly other out there. Yes, it makes more work for the developers, and in fact Google is getting on many manufacturers to limit the extent of customizations. Again, this is for me, it's been a really positive experience. I customize the heck out of my devices with custom launchers, widgets, etc. The open architecture allows for a truly customizable and personal experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. The open architecture (OK, LINUX) is what allows for the many different builds on different hardware. As a software engineer, I like it. (One mans personal preference. I'm not claiming to be right or the other wrong.)

Thank you both for a lively discussion. I enjoy good debates ;-) as long as no one gets nasty. Now, on to enjoying my remote control!

Summary:

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 doesn't appear to work with the Camera Remote App. (It doesn't work for me, anybody been able to get it work for them)

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 works like a charm for me.

Regards!

gryphon1911

I've been doing app dev for over 20 years from mainframe, distributed and mobile platforms.

99% of the time it is an issue with how something is coded and not the end product. Android has no bigger problem than say a Windows dev environment. The issue with companies like Samsung and Motorola is that they add specialized hardware and/or specialized processes that require the inclusion of their dev kit along with the base android SDK. That would not be an issue in and of itself until those companies override the core functionality of the base OS. We could argue back and forth all day on the benefits/shortcomings of open versus closed systems. However, that does not really help the OP with his issue.

I'm willing to lay this to rest to discuss on a different day.

artuk

I've been doing app dev for over 20 years from mainframe, distributed and mobile platforms.

99% of the time it is an issue with how something is coded and not the end product. Android has no bigger problem than say a Windows dev environment. The issue with companies like Samsung and Motorola is that they add specialized hardware and/or specialized processes that require the inclusion of their dev kit along with the base android SDK. That would not be an issue in and of itself until those companies override the core functionality of the base OS. We could argue back and forth all day on the benefits/shortcomings of open versus closed systems. However, that does not really help the OP with his issue.

I'm willing to lay this to rest to discuss on a different day.

No problem Gryphon. I too work in systems development. I've read a number of very interesting articles about the Android market and some of the problems it causes for App developers.

As an aside, does Fuji provide any App or facility to control from any kind of Windows device? For example, is remote tethering or wireless tethering possible from a Windows device of any kind?

gryphon1911

I do not believe they do... At least I've never seen one yet.

johnwillyums

I am really pleased with the performance of the wifi app on my Nexus 5 (running CyanogenMod 11 Nightly). It works like a dream. I can set my camera up on a tripod, sit and look at my phone, and wait for someone to walk into frame, or do something interesting. I've also taken pictures of my dog using it, and of course "selfies" are another area where it can come in handy. The other day I just wanted a figure in shot, to give the landscape perspective, so I went and sat on a rock, hood up, looking down into my phone. I held the phone out of sight, and I'm pleased with the result.

xtc

Go to note 3 Settings

Wifi

advanced

Turn off network auto switch

Now the camera and phone will pair

Bdonegan

So here is my experience with the Note3.

The first time I tried the Wifi function I had connected with my second phone (and Ipone 5S) and later when I tried to connect on my note 3 with the Android App, it simply wouldnt find the camera in the app, even though it was connected to the cameras wifi network. (Auto network switch is off on my phone).

What i didnt realise is that after you connect the phone to the camera wifi network and launch the android app there is an additional step to be performed on the camera to accept the incoming connection from the new phone. Once I did this the connection has worked without any flaws.

I know it may be a very specific scenario but Try this out and hopefully the issue would get fixed if it still exists.

Cheers,

Brian

MiguelIglesias

Thanks for all your responses. It automagically started working either after an app update or when I updated to the latest firmware on my note 3. I appreciate all the suggestions. I was actually out doing a shoot near DC in August and was able to connect and remote control the camera successfully!