darthpolski

New to X-series from years with Leica

My dad still has his Barnack Leica. It's considerably smaller than an M, very handy and discrete.

I think some of the Voigtlander screw mount lenses can still be found either used or even new at a low price?

My dad still has his Barnack Leica. It's considerably smaller than an M, very handy and discrete.

I think some of the Voigtlander screw mount lenses can still be found either used or even new at a low price?

Yes, Barnack Leicas are a mixed bag in practical use. Wonderfully small and well made, a PIA to load and advance. If you can put up with the disadvantages they offer a lot in terms of portability, but then so do Kodak Retina rangefinders, Japanese compact film cameras of the 1970s and upmarket autofocus point and shoots of the nineties and noughties.

I find it difficult to come down on any single camera as the one I could not do without, while recognising any would fit the brief at a push. My preference is for instinctive cameras, which is a mix of ergonomics and simplicity, or put another way, flaws you can live with. Those traits are not always about price, or absolute IQ but quirks that fit ones own way of working.

I'm currently working through the irritating but unavoidable fact that my best images in recent times were not taken on any of the nice film or digital cameras I possess, but an iPhone.

Yes - loading the Barnack's without the flip-up rear door of the M series makes it a hassle.

Strangely though, I've always preferred the separate spindle of the M3 & M2, as compared to the M4 onwards to the current MP. I never found it bothersome. I also liked that threading the film leader into the removable spindle made for a solid take-up of the film.

The open cage, rapid take-up spool of my M4-P and M6/MP worked great too, but in almost 30 years of use, I did manage not to fully engage the film two or three times. With the M3, that never happened.

I just thought I'd put my 2 pence worth in here. 

Firstly, I should say that whatever works for you is all that matters. There is never any better system other than the one that is better for you. Below id just my experience and viewpoint. 

My Leica Mono has gone to Germany for a summer holiday to get a sensor replacement, so I was suddenly without a digital camera, owning only film cameras apart from this. 

I spied a second hand Fuji X-Pro 2 on sale in a local shop, did a good bit of reading and decided to take the plunge, bought it together with a 23mm Fuji lens. In addition I ordered a Leica M mount converter from Amazon to let me use those lenses currently sitting idle in the cupboard. 

I took some test shots with the X-Pro 2, popped them into Lightroom and was distinctly underwhelmed. I have since persevered, changing focussing methods and camera settings, but to no avail. My Leica M adaptor arrived and I expectantly bolted on a beautiful piece of Leica glass. The photos were definitely better than those achieved by the Fuji lens (so they should be when the price is compared) but they had lost all of that Leica look. 

The X-Pro 2 is clearly a very capable little camera, but it is no Leica. The look and feel of the RAW files are not a patch on those from my Mono and no amount of tweaking in post makes any difference. 

My X-Pro 2 and its Fuji lens are now for sale and I will endure the wait for my returning Mono with film instead. 

It's all personal preference, but if you are thinking about coming from Leica to Fuji, think hard...

• Wow 1

I have the Fotodiox Leica-Fuji lens adapter from Amazon and it works very well. I use it with my 50 mm rigid Summicron on my Xpro 1 and 2 bodies. 

I’m afraid I disagree with the previous poster re the Fuji Leica comparison. I still shoot film using my M4, M2 and M3 bodies with mainly legacy Summicron lenses. I had an M9 for a couple of years and sold it along with a 35 mm Summicron ASPH after making the comparison with my Fuji/XF23F1.4 lens. The Fuji is sharper at all apertures and has less vignetting at f2.0.

I still love to shoot film with M4 and Summicron 50. The Fujis I have cannot compare to the viewfinder and physical experience of using a Leica M camera. The M9 however, kind of left me cold and the images were inferior to those from my Fuji equipment. 

But as they say, YMMV.

• Like 1