x100s missing major important function - instant full Auto button

Mklives

What a thread. It's been a few weeks since we all had something like this to run with.

The OP has a valid complaint, although he also clearly blundered buying the X100 as it doesn't pretend to play the game he wants to play. Dumb move, which he's made no attempt to explain.

To then lash out at those who suggested there were alternatives to a single button, and who gave numerous examples of how to achieve the same results, is not a recommended way to maintain a constructive discussion.

I say "goodbye" to the OP, particularly as he's slinked away, apparently, on his own.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a thread. It's been a few weeks since we all had something like this to run with.

The OP has a valid complaint, although he also clearly blundered buying the X100 as it doesn't pretend to play the game he wants to play. Dumb move, which he's made no attempt to explain.

To then lash out at those who suggested there were alternatives to a single button, and who gave numerous examples of how to achieve the same results, is not a recommended way to maintain a constructive discussion.

I say "goodbye" to the OP, particularly as he's slinked away, apparently, on his own.

Did the OP think there might be a hidden "auto" button when he bought it or is he really complaining that he forgot to look.

My pro Nikons don't have an auto button I think you only get them on consumer PASM models.

That's why formula one are stick shift, not auto.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but F1 cars have not been stick shift since the mid 1990s.

They are a flappy paddle semi auto shift and they definitely have nothing that remotely resembles a clutch pedal.

Yes, and this why I do not admire formula 1 pilots anymore. No clutch, shifters, electronics... Pretty soon, the only thing that will be left them to do is turn the wheel and brake. If that.

or a bloody PSAM dial like on the hideous Df.. compromise, euch.

Damn...the poor red headed step child Nikon Df gets another slap along side its bean! lol :D

But still the poor Df has the best high ISO DR of any camera, even better than the new D4s...

And the PSAM dial is much easier and quicker to use than to press a button, then turn a wheel to get to the shooting mode.

I'm quite happy with my x100s. It helped me take this photo on the weekend (see link in next post).

I didn't buy it as an slr replacement. I bought it becuase it's portable, fun, and great image quality. I found in emergency situations, it's fiddly to change settings in a hurry, and I think on a forum full of nice people, I should be able to bring up this valid point without being abused in sarcastic tones by obsessive camera losers who assume 1. I'm not happy with my purchase, and 2. that I know nothing about photography. Thanks guys. I assume all you aggressive, sarcastic camera freaks are American.

..... I think this is ridiculous. With a DSLR, you just turn the dial to Auto, and you can take your shot.

What your asking for is simply NOT what the X100/s is. The simple solution to this is to buy a camera which is marketed at that demographic, the X100/s is clearly aimed at retrophiles wanting primarily manual control with the option to switch to auto (very simply and quickly I might ad) on occasions.

Maybe you'd be better off with a Df, that has a rather tawdry PASM dial.

Or more seriously and X10/X10/XF? Pretty much any compact really.

Its got nothing to do with how experienced you are, or how good a photog, or pro or whatever ... however experienced you are you should have the camera for your use, maybe the X100 doesnt meet your uses.

@Mklives I think an analogy to your missing 'major important function' proposal is suggesting that Formula One cars should have park assist. There is no situation in which a Formula One car will need to parallel park, or squeeze into a narrow car park space.

There is no situation in which the designers of the X100 and X100S, and the users of those cameras on this forum, would ever expect a photographer to nned a one button instant automatic mode. The camera has been designed to evoke the classic film era rangefinder experience, for photographers who want the maximum manual control of their camera.

Soon after launching the X100 and X100S, Fujifilm launched the X10 and the X20, to cater for those photographers less confident in their selection of manual settings, and subsequently the XF1 and XQ1 simplified and contracted the form factor even further.

So I believe Fujifilm and denizens of this forum believe the range of cameras does actually offer a solution for most photographers who want something beyond a basic point and shoot experience, which these days is provided by camera phones.

As for the attitude and forum style of individuals, well, that's the internet for you. Get over it. They're not your mates and they owe you nothing.

..Richard (Not American, as if it mattered)

Even the 5Dmk III has a green full Auto setting on the dial.

Sure, and it's as tiny as the X100S and about the same price.

I was responding to andyfromboston's assertion that higher end DSLRs don't have a full auto setting. Which was incorrect.

One $3000+ camera has an auto-everything mode. Big deal. You know why Canon includes that? Because they sell many 5D's to people who have more money than experience and will buy a camera that looks impressive while not really knowing how to use it. The people I know who use them and do know what they're doing put up with the more amateur controls because the 5D produces good images and has good AF and is an affordable way to get into full frame with Canon. The pro line cameras like the 1D X dispense with that stuff. Similarly, Nikon puts a full-auto on the D600 because that's a consumer camera, and leaves it out on the D800.

This is fine, because people who know how to use their cameras know how to adjust them quickly.

The X100S is probably the quickest high end camera that is not a 5D to put into an acceptable auto mode. You have to turn two controls to A and you're in the equivalent of P mode. That's it - two controls. On the 5D you have to turn one control. You are bitching on a forum because Fuji makes you turn one more control than Canon does, to get into a shooting mode that most people who know what they're doing don't use.

Try taking the camera out and turning the aperture and shutter both to A. Repeat for practice until it takes less than a second. You can get this down in less time than it takes to bitch and/or moan on the internet.

Even the 5Dmk III has a green full Auto setting on the dial.

Sure, and it's as tiny as the X100S and about the same price.

I was responding to andyfromboston's assertion that higher end DSLRs don't have a full auto setting. Which was incorrect.

One $3000+ camera has an auto-everything mode. Big deal. You know why Canon includes that? Because they sell many 5D's to people who have more money than experience and will buy a camera that looks impressive while not really knowing how to use it. The people I know who use them and do know what they're doing put up with the more amateur controls because the 5D produces good images and has good AF and is an affordable way to get into full frame with Canon. The pro line cameras like the 1D X dispense with that stuff. Similarly, Nikon puts a full-auto on the D600 because that's a consumer camera, and leaves it out on the D800.

This is fine, because people who know how to use their cameras know how to adjust them quickly.

The X100S is probably the quickest high end camera that is not a 5D to put into an acceptable auto mode. You have to turn two controls to A and you're in the equivalent of P mode. That's it - two controls. On the 5D you have to turn one control. You are bitching on a forum because Fuji makes you turn one more control than Canon does, to get into a shooting mode that most people who know what they're doing don't use.

Try taking the camera out and turning the aperture and shutter both to A. Repeat for practice until it takes less than a second. You can get this down in less time than it takes to bitch and/or moan on the internet.

Canon dial to Auto = auto aperture, auto shutter speed, AND auto ISO.

Fuji = have to turn 2 dials plus pres 1 button (several times to set ISO)

I'm talking specifically about emergency situations, where you suddenly see a scene happening in a split second before your eyes, and you're in the wrong settings, and you suddenly need to change 3 settings. If you can't understand this, you're braindead.

I'm talking specifically about emergency situations, where you suddenly see a scene happening in a split second before your eyes,

Are you a combat photographer or something?

I can honestly say that in nearly 50 years tears of photography I have never had that situation arise. If this situation happens to you regularly and the X100 does not offer the features you need to handle the situation then the X100 is not the camera for you. There is no further conclusion that can be reached.

This is really an ISO problem. There is no quick way to change ISO, or to change to Auto ISO. You have to press a button, then turn a wheel (or press more buttons). It's a 2 step process, when it should be a 1 step process. The full AUTO function on the Canon is useful not because you need AUTO. It's just a quick way of being able to take an emergency shot without having to change 2 or 3 settings.

I had better sell my D300 then as well I guess. On a Nikon you hold the iso button on the top left down while turning a command dial on the right to adjust the iso setting. A two hand, two step process.

Every time you post on this thread you seem to reference Canon. If you love the way Canons operate buy a Canon it's not a difficult thing to do and from what you have posted you will be much happier it seems. Not every camera suits every person and you can't expect that they will. Just go with the one that suits you best its obviously not the X100.

You should of figured out by now that the majority of X100 owners on this site, some of whom have owned the camera for 3 years now are not in agreement with your opening statement that the camera is missing an important function. What you want is NOT an important function for the vast majority of X100 owners world wide I suspect and for you to persist with the argument is as futile as somebody suggesting that the next X100 should really have a 300mm f5.6 lens because that is what suits them.

If you have a camera (like X100s) with old school mechanical dials, having an "emergency auto" button would mean camera having settings which do not match with the manual dials. Next complaint would be: "those idiots can not even make a camera which shows the setting that are in effect!"

There must be hundreds of digital P&S cameras with full auto button, why would somebody buy a camera which is purposefully designed to be different and then complain about it?

This is really an ISO problem. There is no quick way to change ISO, or to change to Auto ISO. You have to press a button, then turn a wheel (or press more buttons). It's a 2 step process, when it should be a 1 step process. The full AUTO function on the Canon is useful not because you need AUTO. It's just a quick way of being able to take an emergency shot without having to change 2 or 3 settings.

For those probably extremely rare occasions where you might be facing a sudden very important scene to snap at instantly and requiring that you instantly change ISO, I don't think there is a camera in the world that will just obey your thoughts, and change ISO on its own. You will still have to at least turn a dial. But your X100S offers you the next best thing. It's called Auto ISO. You know it exists, since you mention it . So, for those occasions, why don't you just put your camera in Auto ISO to start with? You can even configure one of three presets specifically for that.

or a bloody PSAM dial like on the hideous Df.. compromise, euch.

Owning both cameras the X100S and the DF I don't understand this DF slapping. The DF actually also has a ISO dial too making very it very flexible. What it lacks is an auto setting on the aperture dial and an auto setting on the shutter dial. This is substituted by a nice black retro button where you choose Manual , aperture priority, shutter priority , or program (never used program). So after you have set the DF up and you want shutter priority you spin the aperture wheel to lock it and select the shutter. And place the button on S and so on and so forth. Different systems but for me both are as fast as the other.

Archived