x100s missing major important function - instant full Auto button

Mklives

Let's check the OP for life-signs. This was a 12-round fight, but as the referee, I'm ending it at round 5. Someone get a doctor up here fast. Not sure he's even breathing. His last words were, "But.. but... but!"

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic reminds me of the beloved and respected Mr Kenneth Rockwell when he advocated using the 18- 200 VR Nikon kit lens with the D40. So you can jump from portrait or even macro to wide in a split second so therefore a perfect travel camera. Of course it would have to be set to auto as well.

or a bloody PSAM dial like on the hideous Df.. compromise, euch.

Owning both cameras the X100S and the DF I don't understand this DF slapping. The DF actually also has a ISO dial too making very it very flexible. What it lacks is an auto setting on the aperture dial and an auto setting on the shutter dial. This is substituted by a nice black retro button where you choose Manual , aperture priority, shutter priority , or program (never used program). So after you have set the DF up and you want shutter priority you spin the aperture wheel to lock it and select the shutter. And place the button on S and so on and so forth. Different systems but for me both are as fast as the other.

I just can't stand that damned PASM dial on the Df (to be fair its not the only thing I dont like about the look of the Df). Im sure they could have found a more elegant way of doing it thats in keeping with the retro aspirations the rest of the Df has, but then as they failed all round on the rest maybe not.

Does the XT-1 have a PASM dial per chance? Do all the possible lenses for the XT-1 have aperture rings?

Here's my opinion STILL on the visual and ideological inspiration the Df captures

1463144_655573691162222_2090746749_n.jpg

I can't agree with you but respect your point of view. I have no problem with the MASP dial. I can can see and change the setting with ease. Its true the camera is large. But after all its a full frame DSLR. In the above post I see a picture of the DF above which to me is a nice looking camera rather like my old film Nikons and then I see a cartoon of a yellow man driving some kind cartoon car below it and the 2 pictures are like chalk and cheese to me. When I line up the X100S with the Nikon DF I see a great rig.

While I had the DF on order I and it took a long time to come I compared the silver DF and the D7010 in the shop. The 7010 was on special but to me its a really ugly looking camera. While I was waiting the XT1 also was released and I saw one in another shop.

I prefer the range finder Fuji look to the fake SLR look of the XT1. Yes sure it needs a hump to enable the fantastic electric view finder to work. But to me its a mock up SLR. And really its not that small and dinky.

Yes, OK so I am being a somewhat facetious, and I to be fair am not the market Nikon are going for, but still its hella ugly to me.

The point with Homer's car is really clearer if you see the episode, he stuck everything in it to appeal to everyone and it bankrupted his brother (I think it was) so the point Im trying to make is more than simply the imagery. http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/the-simpsons-classic-oh-brother-where-art-thou-49233

Im also more keen on the RF styling but to me the XT-1 an APS-C of what the Df could have been had Nikon had some balls.

Anyway, Im pleased you enjoy it and were I to play with it in the flesh I may well change my mind more.

Well I will watch that episode yes and now get point .

If Nikon did do as you suggest I may well regret buying in at this stage but in the mean time am enjoying it. But enjoying it with primes only .

I also love the look of the old range finder Nikons.

Owning both cameras the X100S and the DF I don't understand this DF slapping. The DF actually also has a ISO dial too making very it very flexible. What it lacks is an auto setting on the aperture dial and an auto setting on the shutter dial. This is substituted by a nice black retro button where you choose Manual , aperture priority, shutter priority , or program (never used program). So after you have set the DF up and you want shutter priority you spin the aperture wheel to lock it and select the shutter. And place the button on S and so on and so forth. Different systems but for me both are as fast as the other.

P mode - Program is auto, however - since PSAM were not not a feature of old cameras I don't think you can have such a thing as a retro PASM button any more than you could retro video. :)

P mode - Program is auto, however - since PSAM were not not a feature of old cameras I don't think you can have such a thing as a retro PASM button any more than you could retro video. :)

How old is "retro"?

Does excluding things from "retro" mean no auto focus? Or nor VR, or OIS? Does retro mean a camera with no battery or perhaps no inbuilt metering at all?

How old is "retro"?

Does excluding things from "retro" mean no auto focus? Or nor VR, or OIS? Does retro mean a camera with no battery or perhaps no inbuilt metering at all?

Ok 'retro style' evolution of the real retro.

My main point is I suppose it that the camera once set up can be used with retro style buttons, dials and levers .

Retro means picking up the best from the past without discarding the benefits of progress. Otherwise it's not retro - it's paleo.

Metal instead of plastic, buttons instead of menus, and so on. But with an advanced sensor, an inovative viewfinder... in short, X100s :)

Very interesting to see how Kai seems to love the dials on the X-T1 and loathes them on the Nikon Df. LOL!

http://petapixel.com/2014/02/20/kai-impressed-fujifilm-x-t1-digital-revs-hands-review/

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/kai-kills-the-nikon-df-myth-sar-reader-also-do-not-want-a-sony-retro-camera/

I don't understand why everyone seemed to get all uptight over the remarks you make.

It is a forum for all fuji owners and everyone has their own opinion surely.

If you want to spend thousands on a top of the range DSLR and then shoot aperture, shutter or full auto mode, who cares as long as you get the image you want.

Come on guys it's all about photography and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Personally, I shoot with an x100s and love the involvement it gives me without the need for long lenses etc but it doesn't mean my way of shooting is right or wrong.

The guy only voiced an opinion and should be entitled to some respect from fellow snappers.

"Come on guys it's all about photography and everyone is entitled to the opinion."

Well exactly - and is that not what they are doing or do you really mean only the OP is allowed an opinion?

The OP made a bald statement as if something about a camera we've had in our hands for over 2 years has gone unnoticed.

Some people join forums just moan about their cameras and he's one of them which is why he refuses to understand any other argument however well explained.

I don't understand why everyone seemed to get all uptight over the remarks you make.

Welcome to the internet. There are lot of "brave" souls out here that sit comfortably behind the safety of their computer screens. They feel they can say whatever they want without repercussion. I believe they forget about karma. :D

Very interesting to see how Kai seems to love the dials on the X-T1 and loathes them on the Nikon Df. LOL!

http://petapixel.com/2014/02/20/kai-impressed-fujifilm-x-t1-digital-revs-hands-review/

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/kai-kills-the-nikon-df-myth-sar-reader-also-do-not-want-a-sony-retro-camera/

Yes I saw Kias review on the DF. He went out of his way to run this camera down. He put on a false depressed voice all the way through. Coming from a film Nikon in the same family as FM F3 (actually the plastic FG20) The DF felt exactly right. I could not afford the F3 but I really wanted one. The DF is like that. I was never happy with the shape of the DSLR Nikons.

I went to shop in Sydney on George Street and also saw the XT1 body only. But the XT1 is mirror less and looks like a very small SLR to me. The DF is a SLR and is bigger. But the difference in size in not the difference in a broken back or aching shoulders. I carried the DF in one hand for the entire day. The XT1 is nice and small but it still needs a bag

I have made a bag for the DF that is so easy to carry.

But this aside. I do not have problems with training my brain and fingers to use buttons and dials. So if I had the Xt1 I would adapt to use it fast. I can use the DF fast. I can use the X100S fast.

"Karma"? That's a bit heavy, don't you think? Express an opinion that's contrary to someone else's opinion and you have to worry about "karma"? Please, gryphon.

I've got no problem with people's opinions. I was referencing more the false bravery that some people on this forum like to show by devolving a thread into name calling and the like. They know who they are and karma is an appropriate term from what I see.

Example here:

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/6752/i-try-out-the-fuji-x100s-x-t1-olympus-omd-em5-and-em1...want-to-find-out-which-one-i-bought#Item_15

@Mklives: Your assertion that we are all full of crap was an echo of the response

of most of us when we read your complaint. I will tell you in less politic terms that your problem is you're a rookie unskilled in photography.

Photographers don't need "Auto". Over-dependence on "magic" modes is epidemic and

anti-development in terms of genuine photographic skills.

Aren't you really just a lonely guy who wants to "belong' to something?

Archived