x100s missing major important function - instant full Auto button

Mklives

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was not so long ago that the EVF was scorned and shied away from. With Xpro 1 and X100S you are given a choice.

Now great EVFinders are raved about and are better than huge full frame OVFinders. Now the PASM dial is hugely unpopular.

Personally I enjoy both. And chimp is that the term ? by looking in the EVF on play backing images. The DF of course does not do this. I live in a very hot climate and the sun is always shining so LCD's are difficult for me. And I wear reading glasses.

Replace "Full Auto Mode" with "Built in ND Filter" and think about how many of the responses sound.

It doesn't take all that long to screw on an ND filter, but toggling it by pressing a button sure is a nice feature. You wouldn't need a PASM dial either, just make it something that can be mapped to one of the function buttons.

Not sure I see the comparison, but Ill let others way in if they want.

You cant really map it to a button when the shutter and aperture would not be on A, then you'll just have some internet wise ass complaining that he's on f 4 1/125 but the camera is on auto.

That person would likely complain that they can't focus on distant objects because they left the camera on Macro Mode. Should the X100S not have Macro Mode?

I mentioned the ND filter as an example of a feature we don't need built in, but is nice to have built in. This thread is about a feature request, but its subjective as to whether it would be a convenient feature or an important function.

If ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture aren't mechanically tied to their dials then you could override them with a button press; focus is handled electronically without any issues.

Focus doesnt have a set dial.

ND is a useful feature, not necessary, but it also is easily implemented without manually set dials which aren't at the setting they show.

Maybe as someone suggested have a micro drive which moves the aperture and shutter dials to A when someone hits this magic "do everything for me" button, or maybe not.

I don't think you need to move the dials if the Auto button requires the user to hold it down similarly to the AE lock button. That way the dials will always do what they are set at unless you are actively holding down the button. No chance of accidentally leaving it on full auto. I can see some scenarios where it would be convenient. You have set up a particular shot and something catches your eye, rather that change all your setting to get the new shot and then change them back to continue what you are doing, everything would temporarily go full auto. It would also be useful if you ask someone to take a photo of you, you wouldn't have to change your setting, just tell them to hold down the button and take the pic. Its no different than manually setting all the dials to A, just quicker, and since you would likely only press the button as you are bringing the camera up to your eye, you won't be looking at the dials wondering if they will act differently than how they are set.

All that being said, this is a feature that I would rarely use.

I spent the last week shooting with a great retro style camera. It had buttery smooth focus and a nice OVF. Unfortunately the light meter died before I owned it, but I had one on my iPhone that confirmed what I'd already guessed. Sadly no emergency green button but the pictures on the single coated 5cm lens came out great. It was a Nikkormat FTN and weighs as much as a small horse.

How was its predictive AF tracking?

:D

Brilliant. You set it at hyperfocal and the little dial at 8 and everything comes out sharp. Ingenious technology if you ask me.

Did you notice any viewfinder lag?

Not a thing, although it darkened momentarily when I pressed the shutter. I've been lead to believe they all do that, and it's about 45 years too late to return it anyway.

There was some noise at 1600 ISO, but it was a pleasing type from the replaceable sensor.

That camera is also affected by the mechanical condition known as "photographer blink". I hear that you have to replace the sensor every 24 shots, that sounds like a flaw, did you get Squaretrade coverage?

No blink, but I may have undergone a mild hernia carrying it. Pro DSLR users will be familiar with the condition. I'm down to four Nikkormats (or is it five?) as I give them away to acolytes who show sufficient enthusiasm for their virtues. My Nikkormat has the 36 shot sensor, so it may be a late model.

PSAM is like a "cappuccino, latte, mocha, chai" a la carte order menu. Individial aperture, shutter, iso dials are like "add coffee, milk, sugar, cream" DYI options.

@cgeorges In your analogy, the OP just wants to run into a coffee shop and shout 'coffee' and run out with whatever he is given.

Haha. Or on a street corner shouting "I'm thirsty!" "Or maybe hungry"

Archived